Newbie - Road tires for 29er MTB

hrtrulz

Postby hrtrulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:33 pm

I have just purchased Merida Big Nine TFS 100 (http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bike ... ne+TFS+100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and I am looking for some road tires.

I would like to know what are good options and what size I need to fit to the rims that come with the bike?

moodeex

Re: Newbie - Road tires for 29er MTB

Postby moodeex » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:48 pm

I'm running Schwalbe Land Cruiser Road Tyre on mine 35,

you can go down to 28mm .

http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=24624" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:21 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SCHWALBE-Big ... 2328d9faf7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would have bought these but for the fact I wanted the fatter 2.35 version.
These would be lighter and probably roll better.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

hrtrulz

Postby hrtrulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks for the info, I will take a look at these.

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:07 am

rifraf wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SCHWALBE-Big ... 2328d9faf7

I would have bought these but for the fact I wanted the fatter 2.35 version.
These would be lighter and probably roll better.
That's a pretty damn good price.

I had these on my 29er before I sold it (wanted 2.35 but none were in stock on c r c at the time). Seriously good tyre. Rolls really well, and not one puncture in 1500km or thereabouts - including a few fire trails (although they don't grip too well on those if you should happen to turn!).

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:36 am

ningnangnong wrote: That's a pretty damn good price.

I had these on my 29er before I sold it (wanted 2.35 but none were in stock on c r c at the time). Seriously good tyre. Rolls really well, and not one puncture in 1500km or thereabouts - including a few fire trails (although they don't grip too well on those if you should happen to turn!).
Yeah my 2.35's cost me in the region of 3x as much money.
It was a tough call and I'm still looking at ordering some of these for spares because I too think they are a great price.
I just dont really have the storage :(

hrtrulz

Postby hrtrulz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:31 pm

Does anyone have any thoughs about these tires

Schwalbe Marathon Original GreenGuard Rigid Road City - http://www.this link is broken.au/schwalbe-marat ... city-tyre/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Continental Contact Reflex City Road Tyre - http://www.this link is broken.au/continental-co ... road-tyre/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maxxis Overdrive Excel Plus - http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Hybrid/Ov ... Excel.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bike shop (I purchased bike from) has these for $45

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:00 pm

Or you could use any old 700C tyre you wish? Vittoria Randonneurs are pretty solid.
Last edited by Dan on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:02 pm

What is it you want from the tyres?
Its hard to recommend something when we dont know the outcome your wanting to achieve or whats the most desired qualities "you" are looking for in a tyre as its likey different to what someone else is looking for. I doubt theres anything fundamentally wrong with any of those tyres you listed but some may be closer to certain qualities than others (that may or may not be important to you). For some people its longevity, others weight is the most important factor, whilst grip in the wet is where its at for some. I dont tend to ride in the rain so that last quality means nothing to me, whilst for you it might be the most important. You'll have to elaborate in detail before constructive answers can be formulated (IMHO).
Last edited by rifraf on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:07 pm

Dan wrote:Or you could use any old 700C tyre you wish? Vittoria Randonneurs are pretty solid.
Hi Dan,
those rims they are rollin on might have a minimum width tyre.......... :idea:
I know mine do

hrtrulz

Postby hrtrulz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:39 pm

I will be riding mostly on the road or on paved bike paths and won't be riding in the rain.

I would like good puncture protection and weight is not a big factor but don't want something to heavy.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:01 pm

hrtrulz wrote:I will be riding mostly on the road or on paved bike paths and won't be riding in the rain.

I would like good puncture protection and weight is not a big factor but don't want something to heavy.
How many grams per tyre are you hoping for?
Have you any thoughts on the aesthetics?
Those tyres you linked to gave me the impression of skinniness whilst the original link I left would be tyres that were not far off the width of the tyres you currently have on the bike.
Putting on skinny tyres would change the look of your bike and also change the comfort factor feedback
in your seat. Skinny tyres are usually higher pressure from memory and dont absorb bumps as well as lower pressure fatter tyres (in my opinion - theres bound to be others out there). :D

Keep in mind too any shipping costs involved in buying tyres. One of the reasons I left you that ebay link is that the shipping is free. Wiggle and the like will have a minimum spend to achieve this.

Those big apples have a built in kevlar belt in them for puncture protection as well as a reflective band around the sidewall of the tyre so you stand out more at night.
They arnt light at 820g each but they are not the most heavy tyres on the market. I think the Marathon Plus in that size are over a kilo each. The price you pay for better puncture protection and longevity as my current bike has the marathon plus's on it. Of course they are dearer as well.
If you want light weight look at the marathon supreme which are under 600g each but again dearer than the big apple. Those are the different ones I'd recommend in around 2.00, very close to your 2.10.

For skinnier theres the ones you linked and many more.
Last edited by rifraf on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:38 pm

moodeex wrote:I'm running Schwalbe Land Cruiser Road Tyre on mine 35,

you can go down to 28mm .

http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=24624" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thats a good price too and the shippings not a killer :)

Bike24 often has very good prices on Schwalbe tyres though you really need to buy other stuff as well to keep the shipping costs down. The downside for using them is the pedestrian postage which can take weeks.
I've got two German shipments pending and neither has moved from the postage depot for over a week according to the tracking :(

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:05 pm

rifraf wrote:
Dan wrote:Or you could use any old 700C tyre you wish? Vittoria Randonneurs are pretty solid.
Hi Dan,
those rims they are rollin on might have a minimum width tyre.......... :idea:
I know mine do
Or you could use any old 700C tyre larger than the minimum rim width. I think you get the point...

OP - you don't need to buy specific 29er tyres. 700c will work as the diameter is the same. I'd imagine most 'city' tyres will be fine - width is up to you. Randonneurs in 28, 32 and 35 from memory.

Jimbobtwoshoes

Postby Jimbobtwoshoes » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:21 pm

+1 for the Vittoria Randonneurs
I have been rolling around on a set of the randonneur cross for awhile now and I can't really fault them 700x35 I can upload a pic if wanted.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Jimbobtwoshoes wrote:+1 for the Vittoria Randonneurs
I have been rolling around on a set of the randonneur cross for awhile now and I can't really fault them 700x35 I can upload a pic if wanted.
On a 29er? Yes please, pics would be great :!:
What pressure do you run them at :?:

Jimbobtwoshoes

Postby Jimbobtwoshoes » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:38 pm

On a giant talon Ill take a few shots tomorrow in theday light light as they look like !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! in the hallway with a flash. I have them at the rated max of 60psi i think it is.

hrtrulz

Postby hrtrulz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:57 pm

I think I will go with the SCHWALBE Big Apple.

Newbie question, Will I need new inner tubes with these tires?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:13 pm

hrtrulz wrote:I think I will go with the SCHWALBE Big Apple.

Newbie question, Will I need new inner tubes with these tires?
I believe you'll be fine with the ones you've got.

Jimbobtwoshoes

Postby Jimbobtwoshoes » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:32 pm

Its worth grabbing an extra tube as it can be easy to put a hole in the tube if you have never changed tyres before, and if all goes fine its still worth having a spare! That you carry with you so you don't end up having a long walk home like I did a few weeks ago!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:46 am

Hi Hrtrulz,
just spotted that your new to the forum.
WELCOME!!! :)
What state are you in? WA?
Dont know what you know with regards to bike maintenance but be aware when buying tubes that there is two different valve types.
Have a close look at the ones you have on your bike before buying any so you know your ending up with the right ones.
You may know that already but not everybody does.
Hope your enjoying the new bike.

hrtrulz

Postby hrtrulz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:43 pm

I am from QLD

Thanks for the info regarding tubes valves.

rowdyflat

Postby rowdyflat » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:23 am

Vittoria randoneurs are great ,not heavy, fantastic puncture resistance and wear well.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:26 am

I have jst put some SCHWALBE KOJAK 35mm slicks on my CX bike. very light construction, the lightest 35's by far that i've seen. roll seems ok and corner well wet or dry (AT) ~60 psi.
Did some wet clay & dirt CX today...no real problems, not so good on wet grass though.