Bb30 24mm adapter removal

el

Bb30 24mm adapter removal

Postby el » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:48 pm

Got a new felt f1 frameset with bb30 24mm adapter installed inside a bb30 carbon shell, I'll be installing a bb30 srm crankset on the frame with standard bb30 assembly, how would I go about removing the adapter, I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of popping it out w mallet and a bb30 tool maybe or is there more to it, to be on the safe side thought I might ask around here as it is a carbon shell and want to be safe, thanks

Tim

Re: Bb30 24mm adapter removal

Postby Tim » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:23 pm

BB30 adapters are meant to be pressed out, not whacked out with a hammer or mallet.
The risk of tapping out the adapter, which may have been bonded in place with Loctite, is that you could damage the bond between the carbon fibre frame and the permanent aluminium bearing housing.
Banging it out might not cause any damage but I wouldn't take the chance. Use a bearing/headset press.
Do you really want a BB30 system anyway? They are notorious for creaking and cracking noises if the bearings don't sit in perfect alignment and aren't held firmly in place ie. perfectly machined tolerances and/or glued in with Loctite.
I've had two BB30 bikes, both had problems. Plenty of other people have too. Never again, I learnt the hard way.
If I were you I'd stick with the adapter and outboard bearings, a much better system.

el

Postby el » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:22 pm

I think that the housing is actually carbon and doubt they would have used loctite, I know what you mean by bb30 but unfortunately I already got the srm power meter bb30 crankset and have to make it fit somehow, if as you say it can be pressed out w a headset press that's great, I've got a park tool bb/headset press on the way already. Even if they did use loctite it wouldn't be a permanent bond, or is it?

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Nah, if the correct Loctite was used (if any was used) it is designed to be a non-permanent, breakable bond.
Sounds a bit strange that the bearing housing is carbon. That means that the new BB30 bearings will be pressed directly onto a carbon surface. Could be the case, I don't know.
Just be careful, and use the right tools, you don't want to wreck a shiny new frame.

el

Postby el » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Thanks Tim, great help. Yep the housing is all carbon, Felt used it to save weight , the frameset w fork only weighs a bit over 800 grams in XL, I believe few other manufacturers have gone down this road lately as well