World 1,000 Mile Record, Brisbane-Melbourne 2014

ldrcycles

World 1,000 Mile Record, Brisbane-Melbourne 2014

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:53 pm

I've been riding for a few years now and have always been particularly attracted to long, tough rides. While looking around Wikipedia a while ago, I came across the story of Dick Poole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Poole_(cyclist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)) who broke the Land's End to John O'Groats record, continued to claim the 1,000 mile record, but later found he had been a matter of just a few yards short.

The idea of riding more than 1,600 kilometres in one go intrigued me, and after a short time (especially after I realised it meant riding almost all the way from Brisbane to Melbourne) that intrigue turned to full on obsession.

The record is currently held by Gethin Butler at 2 days 7 hours 53 minutes and 7 seconds, or an average speed of just under 28.8kmh.

I am intending to ride from Brisbane to Melbourne through the centre (Goondiwindi, Dubbo, Narrandera etc, to avoid the hills on the coast) and have set a goal to average 30kmh, or a little less than 2 days 5 hours 39 minutes. The distance between Brisbane and Melbourne (depending on the exact route) is considerably more than the required 1,609kms, but after reading Poole's story, I want there to be no doubt whatsoever, and after riding all that way, it seems silly to just stop somewhere in Victoria and not carry on into Melbourne. As far as I can tell, there is no record for Brisbane to Melbourne, so there's 2 birds with 1 stone.

The intention at the moment is to attempt the record around September next year, to hopefully take advantage of cooler weather and favourable winds. Weather will be absolutely critical to success, so the timing will depend almost entirely on getting appropriate conditions. I'm targeting next year as I feel any further out leaves me more open to the uncertainties of life (though plenty can still happen in a year!) and so that I am still young enough to be sufficiently foolish to go ahead with it :) .

Today I rode from Coolum to Kilcoy and back, and did 259k at a moving average of 32kmh, which is a reasonable start. Within the next month or two I will be riding from Coolum to Kingaroy and back, approximately 450k depending on the route.

With the right training I don't feel there is any reason for me not to get the job done, though as one of my favourite sayings goes "If your dreams don't scare you, you're not dreaming big enough".
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

mattwilkinson

Re: World 1,000 Mile Record, Brisbane-Melbourne 2014

Postby mattwilkinson » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:05 pm

Wow! ,

How far is your longest ride? :D

Do you intend on sleeping along the way?

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:20 pm

Mind-boggling stuff, keep us posted with your training :)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:35 pm

My longest ride so far is 260k, the same route I did today (though my average speed last time was .5kmh slower).

I'm not planning on sleeping, as any time off the bike is time that has to be clawed back by upping the pace. In the event that going without sleep proves impossible it would be a matter of only a microsleep, say 10 minutes or so, enough to trick the body into thinking it has had a decent rest. That, like the legs is something that will take training :) .

And for those interested in some of the nitty gritty, I have been in touch with the Road Records Association (UK), Ultra Marathon Cycling Association (US, organisers of Race Across America), Audax Australia and Cycling Australia about having the record verified. Long story short, the RRA only recognise records set on British roads, the UMCA recognise records set anywhere, but only up to 1,000k on a closed circuit, not 1,000 miles point to point, Audax Australia (as they are non competitive) don't recognise records, and Cycling Australia didn't return my email.

Which leaves the Guinness people, perhaps. In any case in this age of GPS bike computers and video cameras in everything, it wouldn't be at all difficult to prove beyond doubt that I had done the distance without resorting to any kind of shonky behaviour.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Hey LDR, I was reading Tim Ferriss' 4 Hour Body and there was some pages in there on how to prepare for and handle sleep deprivation.
Might be worth reading,
Good luck with the preparation!
Andrew

Pax

Postby Pax » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 pm

First I double checked the date of the original post, just in case it was April 1st.... :wink:

This would be an astounding achievement, good on you for setting yourself a serious cycling goal (I think you are definitely "dreaming big enough")!!

I look forward to you keeping us informed of progress with your training.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:05 pm

Plenty of people ride the Paris Brest Paris non stop as well as the RAAM, Race Across America. I'm sure it's double with no sleep.

I have done a few deprivation exercises back when I use to be in the Chocco's, aka. Army Reserve. I have to say after a few days of getting flogged with no sleep you really start to loose coordination and mental aptitude. Things that you really need when on a bike on busy roads.

Have you ever driven that route in the car? I don't think I want to be dodging road trains in the dark with little sleep.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:27 am

A good goal and dream to keep you driven Idry. :)

You really need to put some serious research into the no sleep thing, especially while on the bike because you will have your reflexes compromised by this. Then your recovery period needs thinking about to. :idea:

You [will/u] need financial support also so do your homework well. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:02 am

After you do that then here's your next challenge - ride around Australia like Reid Anderton has just done

Fastest Solo Assisted Ride Around Australia
37 days, 1 hour, 18 mins
https://www.challengeforchange.org.au/e ... -challenge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:09 am

From my ultra running background 48hrs is about on the limit that most people could get by with no sleep. The first night will be OK, the second night will be extremely hairy.

You could think of setting off as night is about to fall on the first day so as to be relatively fresher during the night. You will perk up no end when the sun comes up.

Would be good if you could have a fresh person riding with you for safety as well - not towing you of course.

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:11 am

Subscribed!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:19 pm

Great to set extraordinary goals, even better if you can achieve them. Something to think about - going from Brisbane to Melbourne will mean you need to have a mobile support crew and you are going to want them to be able to be fed and rested, including getting some sleep. This will be difficult if they are also constantly on the move. Sure you could have them stop & catch up, but then you are going to need 2 support crews. Same issue with riding companions.

If on the other hand you pick a 100 or 200 mile circuit, it will be much easier to change over your support crew & companion riders.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:35 pm

Ross wrote:After you do that then here's your next challenge - ride around Australia like Reid Anderton has just done

Fastest Solo Assisted Ride Around Australia
37 days, 1 hour, 18 mins
https://www.challengeforchange.org.au/e ... -challenge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now that really is something else, doing one big ride is tough but to do 380+km EVERY day for over a month :shock: .

The sleep deprivation is something that will just need to be experimented with, i'm familiar with lack of sleep from getting woodturning ready at the last minute before shows, but that was a matter of 3hrs sleep over 3 days, and doing woodturning is hardly as strenuous as maintaining an average of over 30kmh on the bike.

I'll be doing the Coolum to Kilcoy run another 3 times in the next month before stepping up to the Kingaroy ride. That should be around 16 or 17 hours all up, so that's starting to really test the system. Then from there it will be a matter of pushing the length out further until my body is ready for the full distance.

Re the support crew, that's a bit of a tricky one to work out. I have an enormous extended family, so plenty of labour there, it would be more a matter of organising the vehicles, fuel, food, places and times for them to stop/change over etc.

The reason i'm doing the attempt between Brisbane and Melbourne is to increase the motivation, on a circuit it is all too easy to just pull out when it's getting tough, when you have to GET somewhere that isn't an option (or at least that's how my mind works).

I almost always ride by myself, but having someone ride alongside here and there would be nice. I'll probably arrange a radio/intercom between me and the chase car to speed things up when food or repairs are required.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:10 pm

As commendable as Reid Anderton's achievement is, I still think Pete Heals' solo unsupported lap in just unders 49 days is more impressive.

If you are interested in endurance riding, the next running of the Paris-Brest-Paris randonnee will be held in 2015, so you have time to join Audax Australia and complete the qualifying events.
Then you will be able to nominate a finishing cut-off time of 80 or 84 hours (for solo bikes) for the 1200km course.

Round the world would probably be the next challenge. The record has taken a hammering over the last few years - Mike Hall is the current holder in 91 days, 18 hours.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

nickl

Postby nickl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:10 pm

You might be interested in the book Ride: From Ultra-Cycling Rookie to Racing Across Americass America (http://books.google.com.au/books?id=UkLRgh5uXAYC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

It's by Josh Kench (a New Zealander) who decided to do RAAM. He talks a lot about the challenges of long distance riding.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:53 am

Lachy - Why not have a go at it this year ?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:45 pm

elantra wrote:Lachy - Why not have a go at it this year ?
:shock: Now that WOULD be a tall order! Going from a longest ride of 260k to 1,700 within 8 months might be pushing myself just a smidge more than i should :) .

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:32 pm

That's one hell of a brutal effort mate.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:47 am

Nice goal. Keep us posted.
Didn't a crew from WA do a 24hr record recently? something like 650ks? stats on you?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:55 pm

boyracer wrote:Nice goal. Keep us posted.
Didn't a crew from WA do a 24hr record recently? something like 650ks? stats on you?
I heard about that team, i'm not sure of the exact distance but the solo 24hr record is 839km at 34.96kmh, set by a frenchman who has also ridden Mont Ventoux 11 times in 24hrs.

Interestingly, the best 24hr effort for a recumbent is 1,041km :shock: .

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:29 pm

some work to do then....
My best is 350 in 17 hours solo. I was thinking i might like to try for 500 in 24 hrs. 839 :shock:

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:42 pm

http://theclimbingcyclist.com/interview ... hour-race/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^This may be of interest to you as well

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:34 pm

Very interesting article. I had seen the Delirium race on facebook and was keen but unable to make it. I'd definitely like to give it a crack sometime in the future.

Another 83k on the bike today, I feel a lot better ticking along fast on the flat since Tuesday, as though spending 8+ hrs on the aerobars have helped me to find a better position on the bike even without them.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:27 pm

I've been laid low with a cold the last week so no riding :evil: .

On a somewhat brighter note though, i'm looking at my GPS and realising it won't do, the Bryton rider 20 has a claimed 20hr battery life, and even in training rides just warming myself up, that isn't going to be enough. Google isn't really giving me the answers i'm looking for, so what suggestions would you have for GPS tracking for 50+ hrs?

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:44 pm

ldrcycles wrote:On a somewhat brighter note though, i'm looking at my GPS and realising it won't do, the Bryton rider 20 has a claimed 20hr battery life, and even in training rides just warming myself up, that isn't going to be enough. Google isn't really giving me the answers i'm looking for, so what suggestions would you have for GPS tracking for 50+ hrs?
Get an external battery that works via USB cable. There are a bunch of them on eBay, and if you get a couple of the lighter ones you can just plug in and keep charging the GPS while you are riding. I do this for my iphone5 on the really long rides when I still want strava, garmin live track and other apps still running.

Here is one of the ones I purchased:

USB 2600mAh External power bank Battery Charger Power Bank for mobile phone

http://bit.ly/12gDDqD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...