Which pedals to buy first time changing to cleats

redcorpsjames

Re: Which pedals to buy first time changing to cleats

Postby redcorpsjames » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:08 am

Clip stacks on spd sl =2
Clip stacks on spd =1
Clip stacks on speedplay zero = none so far

Also speedplay are so easy to get into once you loosen them up.
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

cippo

Postby cippo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:29 pm

shimano 105 pedals and cleats. i bought mine from chain reaction for less than $50. i think they are only like 2 grams heavier than the ultegra pedals and less than half the price

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:14 pm

there's also the option of amagnetic shoe/pedal interface. Plus, those shoes look rad.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:25 pm

I recently upgraded from decade-old Time road pedals to a few years old Time RXS pedals.

The old ones had lateral float, i.e. the ability to move your foot sideways. You could 'translate' the foot without 'rotating' it.
RXS pedals have no lateral float. You can only rotate your foot.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

macski

Postby macski » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:39 pm

I can't understand the comments about Speedplays being hard to engage - for me it has always been easy - don't ever have to look down, it just happens. When I had Shimano road pedals I found it hard to engage correctly without looking down = danger.

I recently used SPDs which I hadn't done for a few years and felt like my foot was in a straightjacket because of the lack of float compared to Speedplays. Also my knees were very, very unhappy after a relatively short ride.

So I have now installed Speedplay pedals on my mountain bikes as well - Speedplay Frogs.

My partner also uses Speedplays on all of his bikes - he has had a knee reconstruction and got quite a lot of knee pain while using SPDs or Shimano road pedals but the Speedplay pedals solved that problem.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:51 pm

__PG__ wrote:l float, i.e. the ability to move your foot sideways. You could 'translate' the foot without 'rotating' it.
RXS pedals have no lateral float. You can only rotate your foot.
Thats sounds funky.
macski wrote:I can't understand the comments about Speedplays being hard to engage - for me it has always been easy - don't ever have to look down, it just happens. When I had Shimano road pedals I found it hard to engage correctly without looking down = danger.
speedplay : For me sometimes I step on them and they go in, sometimes I have to step -> add more weight -> still not in -> start stepping and twisting. Sometimes i think I am "in" but actually am not.

Shimano: i sometimes looked down, but never felt in danger. With these I know if i have engaged or not.

SPD: easiest to get in and out.

macski

Postby macski » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:46 am

I have the light action ones which might explain why it is so easy for me. I have never had a problem with them disengaging when I didn't want them to. And since I'm not a racer putting immense forces on the pedals they are perfect for me.

rjk

Postby rjk » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:47 pm

I have the shimano spd shoes with the carbon sole ( only bit of carbon i own :) ) mt 183 and i have the shimano a600 pedals to go with them.

the a600 are in between the dura-ace and ultegra road pedals in weight and the shoes have a very stiff sole which is great for power to the pedals.

I have set the release for te lightest i could and never have had any issues

Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

Jerryjan

Postby Jerryjan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:03 pm

Hi
My new click R pedals and matching shimano shoes arrived today. I had already been out for a cycle this morning. So I just had a practice up and down the road. The pedals are extremely easy to clip in and I have set them at there slackest so I can get out very easily. Had know problem practicing on the road, I will go for a cycle tomorrow on the cycle paths, I think it will be alright as long as nothing unexpected happens. Then it's back to work for a few days commuting ( I only work part time) that should sort me out. I will keep you posted.

Cheers Jerry

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:13 pm

Jerryjan wrote:Hi
My new click R pedals and matching shimano shoes arrived today. I had already been out for a cycle this morning. So I just had a practice up and down the road.

Cheers Jerry
Best place to practice clipping/unclipping if you don't have a stationary trainer is to sit on the bike in a doorway
(using hands on each side to keep upright). Back-peddle, and test clipping/unclipping until it feels natural. Further
practice on quite roads is okay, but make sure you think about it and unclip one foot well ahead of anything that
has even a slight possibility of a stop being required. Anticipate the unexpected.

When you have a clip-stack, remember to get back on your bike real quick before too many onlookers can
laugh at your predicament. And remember, we've all been there, done that.

Good luck.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:34 pm

wombatK wrote:
Jerryjan wrote:Hi
My new click R pedals and matching shimano shoes arrived today. I had already been out for a cycle this morning. So I just had a practice up and down the road.

Cheers Jerry
Best place to practice clipping/unclipping if you don't have a stationary trainer is to sit on the bike in a doorway
(using hands on each side to keep upright). Back-peddle, and test clipping/unclipping until it feels natural. Further
practice on quite roads is okay, but make sure you think about it and unclip one foot well ahead of anything that
has even a slight possibility of a stop being required. Anticipate the unexpected.

When you have a clip-stack, remember to get back on your bike real quick before too many onlookers can
laugh at your predicament. And remember, we've all been there, done that.

Good luck.
You seem to have missed the point of the Click'R pedals, Wombat.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:01 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote: You seem to have missed the point of the Click'R pedals, Wombat.
Sorry, I missed the guaranteed not to clip-stack line in their specs :wink:

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:38 am

wombatK wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote: You seem to have missed the point of the Click'R pedals, Wombat.
Sorry, I missed the guaranteed not to clip-stack line in their specs :wink:
Apology accepted. If you can't clip out of the Click'Rs, see a doctor because you're probably suffering some sort of paralysis or neural disconnect. Almost 5 months of riding with them now and they always clip out with no issue.
Note: Not guaranteed.

Jerryjan

Postby Jerryjan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Hi
First ride this morning, Bike week here in perth, went into the city and had a cake and coffee.at the city breakfast stop. No problems with the pedals yet. They are very easy to clip in I dont have to look down and no problems clipping out as yet. I was surprised that I did not have to unclip very often on the way in. So on the way out stopped repeatedly to practice. All is well so far.
Good choice bigfriendlyvegan.

Cheers Jerry

Jerryjan

Postby Jerryjan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:47 am

Hi
Well I have had my new cleats on about 2 weeks have been riding everyday, touch wood no problems so far. I can reconfirm the cleats are very easy to get into and out of. The click R shoes and pedals are great, and seem to have plenty of lateral movement for me.

cheers Jerry

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:46 am

Good to hear Jerry. 8)

Foo

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:55 pm

I too have been using the Click R pedals for a couple of weeks and recommend them to anyone looking to try cleats for the first time or who has had issues using normal cleats in the past as i did which put me off forever.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:41 pm

just thought I might provide some experience.

Recently (like last week) I finally decided to replace my SPD cleats (SM-SH51) as they where wearing out and REALLY loose, i was not to far from falling off the pedals, or so I thought.

I replaced them with my spare cleats (which are of the SM-SH56 variety) and man these are even LOOSER. I was worried I'd actually clip out while standing.

So for those who already have the non click R pedals, these cleats are definitely worth a try.

If the click R pedals are 60% looser ... I wouldn't know how you would stay in.

DracZ

Postby DracZ » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Just wanted to thank those recommending the Click R pedals for a first-timer, been riding for the past week on them and they've been extremely easy to get used to even as a first-timer. Highly recommended

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:41 pm

macski wrote: I recently used SPDs which I hadn't done for a few years and felt like my foot was in a straightjacket because of the lack of float compared to Speedplays. Also my knees were very, very unhappy after a relatively short ride.
Couple of points.
Which cleats did you use? I think Shimano offer three or four.
I've only used the first two common models for SPD being the SH52 and more floaty SH56(dearer)
and I've been happy with the 56's and stuck with them. I found after a quick search SH51 as well.

I think maintenance wise the speedplays have period of 2000km where a recommended strip and repack/rebuild
is called for. This isnt convenient whilst touring (IMHO) but others might not be so fussy. I'm sure there is something about it in one of the Speedplay threads as I was initially looking at them until I found this out.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:28 am

rifraf wrote:I think maintenance wise the speedplays have period of 2000km where a recommended strip and repack/rebuild
is called for.
You think wrong.

And having killed various CrankBros and Shimano pedals - the Speedplay win hands down when it comes to bearing durability.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:30 pm

twizzle wrote:
rifraf wrote:
You think wrong.
I certainly do :o
Thank you for the re-education.
It appears I've been misinformed or mixed up in my interpretation of what was said. :shock:
I stand corrected.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:46 pm

rifraf wrote:I stand corrected.
Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down. ;)
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:55 pm

rifraf wrote:
twizzle wrote:
rifraf wrote:
You think wrong.
I certainly do :o
Thank you for the re-education.
It appears I've been misinformed or mixed up in my interpretation of what was said. :shock:
I stand corrected.
:shock: An adult response! On a internet forum! No, it can't be. Now I'm disoriented and upset.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:24 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote: :shock: An adult response! On a internet forum! No, it can't be. Now I'm disoriented and upset.
:o Yes. How are we going to get to 16 pages with responses like that! :wink: