How bright is to bright?

Nobody

Re: How bright is to bright?

Postby Nobody » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:13 am

cpical wrote:Waiting for a set of Magnic lights (http://www.magniclight.com/MagnicLight/index.php/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
Interesting. I've seen eddy current induction in Al used for high speed braking, but this is the first time I've seen it used to generate power.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:36 am

SmellyTofu wrote:
master6 wrote:I am happy to stick with Australian regulations. In my opinion, flashing mode says "cyclist" as opposed to "dog walker" that might leave the pavement.
Nice attitude. Hope you cause an epileptic fit to someone.
There are many triggers for PSE. Not just flashing lights. Light flashing frequency usually has to be higher than a few Hz.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosensitive_epilepsy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:59 am

Which means that flashing lights made worse by the dark background of the night could trigger it. Do you want to be responsible for possibly causing an epileptic fit?

Mark Kelly

Postby Mark Kelly » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:39 am

cpical wrote:Waiting for a set of Magnic lights (http://www.magniclight.com/MagnicLight/index.php/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Magnic lights promise a lot, no batteries, no cables. Looking forward to trying them!
They promise a lot, but will they deliver?

Typical efficacy of LEDs is about 70 lumens per watt. Typical efficiency of eddy current generators is 2 to 5%.

Taking these together you get about 2 lumens per watt of input power to the eddy current generator. To get a moderately bright headlight and rear light combination, say 200 lumens plus 100 lumens using this technology would cost you 150 watts of drag.

Maybe this mob have done something to increase efficiency but in general eddy current losses are proportional to the size and conductivity of the rotor. Aluminium is an excellent conductor so it's hard to see how they are going to do it.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:45 am

SmellyTofu wrote:Which means that flashing lights made worse by the dark background of the night could trigger it.
And I could trip over and die today.
SmellyTofu wrote:Do you want to be responsible for possibly causing an epileptic fit?
Most people don't want to be responsible for harming others. However, if it was really such a problem then surely it would not be legal to run them. You would also have to ban emergency vehicle lights and many other things. Should people stop driving cars because they kill so many pedestrians and cyclists per year? Somehow I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

I don't think low frequency flashing lights are a significant problem, which is all I run.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:48 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Jonno wrote:I just purchased this one:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1603/1 ... umen-led-b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

use code 'BLF' for $44.21

I'm banking on the range of settings covering my needs for the upcoming winter.
Thanks for this, I to am taking the gamble, order placed! :wink:

Foo
This was sitting on my desk when I got home this morning and I be very happy with the beam and spread= 20mtrs in front and around 4mtrs wide. :D

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:34 pm

master6 wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Maybe the whole single point thing is a subconscious driver for many of us choosing to run lights on our lid too?

I'm more likely to blind people coming up behind me...

What have you got behind you Mulgar?

I am looking for a tail light that will double as an oxy acetylene cutting torch, for daytime use.
Niteflux RZ4 on the post and a Radbot on each stay. Looking at the RZ8 thread, they seem to have made a thermal lance...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:51 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:
Jonno wrote:I just purchased this one:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1603/1 ... umen-led-b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

use code 'BLF' for $44.21

I'm banking on the range of settings covering my needs for the upcoming winter.
Thanks for this, I to am taking the gamble, order placed! :wink:

Foo
This was sitting on my desk when I got home this morning and I be very happy with the beam and spread= 20mtrs in front and around 4mtrs wide. :D

Foo
Cool, please give a write up on how you're finding it. Brightness, build, run time, mount, etc.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:05 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:Which means that flashing lights made worse by the dark background of the night could trigger it. Do you want to be responsible for possibly causing an epileptic fit?
Why is this a hot button with you? Seems like there's a personal connection of some kind?

kb

Postby kb » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:51 am

Mulger bill wrote: Niteflux RZ4 on the post and a Radbot on each stay. Looking at the RZ8 thread, they seem to have made a thermal lance...
I usually have mine on flash level 2 of 5 or 1 of 3 steady (on shared paths). This gives 24 or 12h respectively. Seems like a waste of modes.... I can imagine pushing it up to 4/5 in really heavy rain or fog though, so nice to have the option.

Best thing is no need to contort myself to check whether it's on. Just look down at the glowing red puddle of light :-)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:53 am

Red Rider wrote: Cool, please give a write up on how you're finding it. Brightness, build, run time, mount, etc.
Will do!

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:58 pm

kb wrote:
Mulger bill wrote: Niteflux RZ4 on the post and a Radbot on each stay. Looking at the RZ8 thread, they seem to have made a thermal lance...
I usually have mine on flash level 2 of 5 or 1 of 3 steady (on shared paths). This gives 24 or 12h respectively. Seems like a waste of modes.... I can imagine pushing it up to 4/5 in really heavy rain or fog though, so nice to have the option.

Best thing is no need to contort myself to check whether it's on. Just look down at the glowing red puddle of light :-)
Mine's set up for only the single flash/solid modes. Med/high solid with the Radbots on zZz POP at night and high flash solo in daylight.

Methinks the red puddle is good for at least 15cms extra passing room :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:26 pm

Ok, here are the pics for the light. Low medium and high. and from where I have the bike, to the pump is close to 50mtrs. 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:50 pm

This is what I'd call too bright. If you're inconsiderate enough to run that at full power on a bike path they'd be a real problem for someone coming the other way. But then they're not really intended for the urban commuting market.

Compare the Ay Ups (helmet) with what's on the bars (MTS):

More details here: http://www.bicycles.net.au/2013/04/heat ... part-ii-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the beam shot photo, the narrow vertical "Keep Left" sign on the median strip is almost 300m away. When I was taking the beam shot with a tripod and timed exposure, the cops rocked up thinking I was some dude with spotties driving where I shouldn't in the national park. :shock:

If I'm commuting with these on the bars, they're turned off while crossing the Sydney Harbour Bridge and I just use the helmet Ay-Ups.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:34 am

Well I have done 2hrs 15mins with it and still have 1 charge light lite up, so I'm thinking 3hrs run time on the low setting! :idea:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goal 6000km

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Late entry into this thread, but I've caught up now :-)

I rode for about a year with a MS 900 lumen light, which I replaced with a 1000 lumen version which had a tighter "spot" and thus better for not blinding oncoming traffic.

When I ordered my velomobile, I was very concerned about whether the lights would be sufficient as I was used to 1000 lumens (albeit chinese lumens ie probably only 700 ). As it turns out though I am very happy with the B&M IQ Speed that comes in the mango. The key is the optics. Look how sharp the cutoff is:

And the mango also has a lever inside that allows me to adjust the level of the light as I'm going. This means I can aim it up to catch motorists attention during the day, then aim it back down at night so that I don't blind people into running over me.

The combination of the sharp cutoff and the dynamic levelling is excellent. The low power usage means I only charge weekly. I might even make 2 weeks if I pushed.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:05 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Well I have done 2hrs 15mins with it and still have i charge light lite up, so I'm thinking 3hrs run time on the low setting! :idea:

Foo
Don't forget it usually takes a few charges for the battery to get properly full. What are your other impressions of it?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:18 pm

My other impressions, well the other two settings, medium and high are way brighter than low. The battery holder is ample to attach to the top tube and should not let go. The flashing mode is very bright and will let you be seen through the day without any problems. So all in all, I am very happy for an outlay of around $47. :D

Foo
Goal 6000km

russellgarrard

Postby russellgarrard » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:37 pm

I personally prefer to just light up my bike instead, solves the whole 'Damn I'm blinded' issue. Admittedly, I only ride in places where there are street lights.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:20 pm

trailgumby wrote:This is what I'd call too bright. If you're inconsiderate enough to run that at full power on a bike path they'd be a real problem for someone coming the other way.

Compare the Ay Ups (helmet) with what's on the bars (MTS):
I agree trailgumby. From the MyTinySun 2700X review
The instructions carry a warning against looking directly into the beam when handling the unit due to the risk of permanent damage to your vision, and they’re not kidding.
Pity they didn't extend the warning to using it on bike paths where cyclists may be riding towards it.

Nothing like a spot of permanent vision damage to ruin your evening commute.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:49 pm

If anyone is interested I received my first shipment of the Supernova Airstream lights today.

They offer an amazing light, due to the reflector design they don't require a ridiclous lumens output. The end result is a great light that won't blind oncomming traffic.

These are a slighly higher powered version than they use in Europe since their brightness standards are a little more strict there.

I have the matching tail light that uses the headlight as its power source in stock as well.

Since we are selling them directly I think most people should find the price very reasonable for what they are.

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue May 14, 2013 11:04 pm

That's a pretty good price jacks. Do you have the USB charger to go with it?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:13 pm

Red Rider wrote:That's a pretty good price jacks. Do you have the USB charger to go with it?
The USB charger so you can charge the light via a dynamo hub or just the USB Cable to you can charge it from your computer?

I didn't bring the USB accessories in as they are more about using a dynamo and most the dynamo riders I think would opt for a non-battery model?

I can certainly grab you a USB cable with my next shipment.

An Australian standards approved 240v charger is included.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue May 14, 2013 11:23 pm

The one for the computer. It's also for being able to plug into my phone charger that has a USB port, and very handy for overseas travel also.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:15 pm

Red Rider wrote:The one for the computer. It's also for being able to plug into my phone charger that has a USB port, and very handy for overseas travel also.
Good idea - I'll grab some with the next shipment.