The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

trailgumby

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:45 pm

Myrtone wrote:The reason for the poor spelling and grammar is that it is really hard to deal with your insitance on assuming bad faith.
:D :D :D Oh, dear. Tell me I didn't just read that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Folks, we've got a live one here :wink: No hope of reasoned discussion with any connection with actual reality. Have it your way then. On the ignore list you go, Myrtone. :mrgreen:

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Myrtone wrote:One can be set up for an emergency brake and still that assume they didn't want to hit you, either way the result of being set up is the same. Conversingly one may suddenly to do an emergency brake and assume they didn't care whether they hit you, that does not change the result of the latter.

Oh I see. You assume.. I should assume they are stupid rather than evil. As if I care about their intention rather than its consequences. (snicker... as if) But you see the thing is.. I can sort of understand evil. Stupid has no excuse. Absolutely none in my world. So I prefer to think of their attempted homicide as evil as its the lesser insult. And of course.. they need to be negated as a threat regardless.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:54 pm

I'm not racist - I just hate stupid people, regardless of race/colour/creed.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Yep (Actually hate assumes a depth of emotion I don't feel... mild contempt is closer)

Myrtone

Postby Myrtone » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:25 pm

trailgumby wrote:Folks, we've got a live one here :wink: No hope of reasoned discussion with any connection with actual reality. Have it your way then. On the ignore list you go, Myrtone. :mrgreen:
No it's you folks that need a reality check, you need counciling. You are the ones who are not having a reasoned dicussion.
Percrime wrote:Oh I see. You assume.. I should assume they are stupid rather than evil. As if I care about their intention rather than its consequences. (snicker... as if) But you see the thing is.. I can sort of understand evil. Stupid has no excuse. Absolutely none in my world. So I prefer to think of their attempted homicide as evil as its the lesser insult. And of course.. they need to be negated as a threat regardless.
Evil is no better than stupid, and yet the latter implies lack of intelligence. You need to stop assuming that the cyclist in question was attempting homocide (as calling them an idiot seems to imply), you do not have any evidence to support such a bad belief. If that "polka" cyclist were reading this discussion (this is a public forum) they will almost certainly get very upset that you aren't just forgiving them for their mistake.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:31 pm

Myrtone, please let this go. Let us agree to disagree and get on with telling stories of cyclists and pedestrians doing things that they probably wouldn't if they had properly thought things through.

EDIT: eg: clip I just found of a moment a few pages back.
Last edited by bychosis on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:44 pm

Ranga Tang wrote:Just calling it as it was. If it was a bogan wearing trackies, I would have wrote that too.

Funnily enough, all the cyclists that hammered past us (but not as close as him), were in fact clad in similar attire.

Everyone else who approached us from behind in shorts/trackies etc, either slowed down or yelled out they were coming through.

Just sayin' ........
Summernight wrote:Oooo. I've never been to a spoke removal party. Sounds like fun. :lol:
Yeah. Had to go to one of those once when I was on rollerblades and was body slammed from behind. I rode/skated home..... not a story proud of though, long, long time ago
Funnily enough, I sometimes pass people in shorts, trackies etc who don't want to hear or know that people are passing them. What should we do with those? A spoke removal party for them too?

Or a lets all take a few deep breaths, not stereotype and calm down party. Not everyone is the same way as you portray them. Whenever I see children on a bike, I slow down. Unless of course it is one particular rider who is always out with his young kids... These particular youngsters appear to be better on their bikes than many adults and teenagers. :)

My approach is to assume other riders I don't know or pedestrians are going to do something crazy. It prevents accidents. When you are riding with people you know, you don't need to worry quite as much - but you still have to be mindful. (that last bit is the disclaimer for the forum pedants).

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:02 pm

Myrtone wrote:) they will almost certainly get very upset that you aren't just forgiving them for their mistake.
Send em around here... and I,ll forgive em all right. :evil:

(Stupid 'implies' lack of intelligence... good grief...really?)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Driving along Riverside Drv I see a cyclist doing 35-40kph no issues as by himself, a bit further on tho I'm puzzled. I'm seeing what appears to be a back, and a front wheel. Get closer and it was a teen on a bmx sitting on the handlebars facing backwards and looking behind himself to steer whilst doing 15-20kph. He was riding with 2 others.. No helmet ofc
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Cyclist salmoning along Kororoit Creek Rd Williamstown sans helmet. Problem is the car in front of me was a paddy wagon - pulled said salmon over for a chat. I suspect this is one cyclist who will learn the hard way.
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Cowcorner wrote:Cyclist salmoning along Kororoit Creek Rd Williamstown sans helmet. Problem is the car in front of me was a paddy wagon - pulled said salmon over for a chat. I suspect this is one cyclist who will learn the hard way.
these are the same type of people who think cyclists don't belong on the roads and don't understand why they should follow the 'car' rules

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Couple of ninja cyclists tonight in the dark. Both of them in fairly dark clothes too. Neither of them had lights. They were riding together. And a few pedestrians in dark clothes too. Always a bad thing in areas where there are no other lights. :shock:

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:54 pm

g-boaf wrote:Couple of ninja cyclists tonight in the dark. Both of them in fairly dark clothes too. Neither of them had lights. They were riding together. And a few pedestrians in dark clothes too. Always a bad thing in areas where there are no other lights. :shock:
I nearly ran over 4 emo teenagers 1 night who were sitting on the bikepath around a bend in a dark park. The only thing that saved them was the glow of their cigarettes.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:11 pm

Rhubarb wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Couple of ninja cyclists tonight in the dark. Both of them in fairly dark clothes too. Neither of them had lights. They were riding together. And a few pedestrians in dark clothes too. Always a bad thing in areas where there are no other lights. :shock:
I nearly ran over 4 emo teenagers 1 night who were sitting on the bikepath around a bend in a dark park. The only thing that saved them was the glow of their cigarettes.
I hate it when they do that! I happened on one lurking around under a bridge once. He freaked out and bolted as fast as he could, leaving the spray can sailing through the air. :lol:

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Heh. I came across a couple of Goths making out on a bike path once. No glowing ciggies to give them away, just my old and not too good battery light, lighting up their black and decidedly non-reflective clothing. I mean, how did that conversation go?

"Hey, let's make out in the car"
"I don't have the car. Mum has it this weekend"
"Oh, me neither, owing to a nasty accident involving nail-polish and leather sofas"
"Let's make out anyway"
"Yeah, okay"
"I feel silly doing this in a carpark without a car"
"Yeah, let's move onto the bikepath. It's Brisbane in the 90s. What, is a cyclist going to use it? Don't make me laugh!"

I wasn't old enough for "kids these days" rants then, but I am now. And it turns out I'm not above doing it retrospectively.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:13 am

bychosis wrote:Myrtone, please let this go. Let us agree to disagree and get on with telling stories of cyclists and pedestrians doing things that they probably wouldn't if they had properly thought things through.

That section of "shared path" is notorious for it. If you ride along there you should expect people standing, there, walking across it without looking, dogs, rollerblades, skateboards, rip sticks, tricycles, remote controlled cars, footballs, toddlers on leashes, ......

I would say on a weekend the numbers shown there were quite light to be honest.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:53 am

shared path near Putney goes past some football fields. Sunday morning a group decides the path rather than the 5 metres of grass closer to the sideline is the perfect place to setup their picnic chairs and watch the game.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:07 am

tubby74 wrote:shared path near Putney goes past some football fields. Sunday morning a group decides the path rather than the 5 metres of grass closer to the sideline is the perfect place to setup their picnic chairs and watch the game.
some people need to be taken out the back and removed from the gene pool...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:07 am

Scarfy96 wrote:
bychosis wrote:Myrtone, please let this go. Let us agree to disagree and get on with telling stories of cyclists and pedestrians doing things that they probably wouldn't if they had properly thought things through.

That section of "shared path" is notorious for it. If you ride along there you should expect people standing, there, walking across it without looking, dogs, rollerblades, skateboards, rip sticks, tricycles, remote controlled cars, footballs, toddlers on leashes, ......

I would say on a weekend the numbers shown there were quite light to be honest.
Yes, but this group of stationary peds was out of the ordinary, most of the heavy traffic in the area is moving, not just sticking around for a chat. This group didn't even get a hint from the 2stroke powered bike that passed them moments before, but I think he just went round them on the grass-which I refuse to do to make a point.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:22 am

Sure but I have been through there on a number of occasions when there are wedding photos being taken and the wedding party or other guests completely block the path, or the photographer likes the stable cement footing to set his tripod up on! Also plenty of times the benches on the lake side often have chairs spill out onto the path obstructing quite a bit of it. Whenever there is a function in the pavillion women congregate out on the path because their high heels don't sink into the cement like they do the grass etc.

Weekdays or weekends if you are lucky to strike it when there isn't a function of some type on there it is usually moving in some way, other times (and they look like function guests) it is more like a congregation area.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Well done :shock: to the dude on the e-bike going down airport drive on the wrong side of the road at around 5:30pm today. Hope you enjoy your thrills. You sure got peoples attention alright.

(i wonder if this should this be in the motorist thread...?)

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Nice work done by the lady on her cruiser on Latrobe St Melbourne this arvo near Melbourne Central. Raining and decides the quickest way to the shops is to cross with the peds sending them scattering then decides to ride up the wrong side of the road whilst they making a new Copenhagen style (which I hate) bike lane. :shock:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Near-miss head-on with a couple of roadies climbing up from the southern end of teh Sydney Harbour Bridge. They were attempting to pass another pair and there was simply no way for them to get back left in time. Unfortunately, camera card was full. :(

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:37 am

a workmate told me one yesterday. He and his daughter were driving to work. traffic was stopping in the right lane in town and they couldn't work out why. Eventually, it starts moving again, but the left lane stops.... Salmon cyclist was the result. Workmates daughter gives said cyclist a few words of "encouragement". She goes to work, turns out said super salmon is a co-worker. He's currently invisible in the workplace. Wonder why...

hannos

Postby hannos » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:01 pm

This time, me...
Just started my ride from Loftus, head down into the wind. Look up as I'm 1/4 through the intersection to see the light is Red...

I really must pay more attention on the road...
2010 BMC SLC01