Moron Motorists #3

Lukeyboy

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Just some random clips from the other day. The first one was a moron as he had to cross double white lines, a bus lane going my direction of travel, the gap in the road island and 2.5-3 lanes in my direction to pull it off even when there wasn't one single vehicle behind me for the next 100m. Second clip is the usual right turn from the thru only lane. Third clip is a great parking spot. Last clip is the typical Toyota Camry driver :P

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:22 pm

Saw a woman today just outside the police station driving with her small child in back seat while texting. She raises the bar pretty high in the Moron Motorist stakes IMO. People that are that stupid shouldn't be allowed to breed.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:22 pm

This isn't me, noticed it posted elsewhere online.

The original video was taken down, but the cyclist posted the following:
They hauled the bloke in for questioning this morning. He told his side of the story, then changed it after being told it was on camera. He didn't want to watch it but the PC made him. He accepts full responsibility for what happened.
The officer wanted to charge him and the evidence is very strong but because he has no previous (ie. hasn't been caught before), they apparently can't. I was given the choice of a local resolution consisting of a written apology and compensation for the damage to the bike or him receiving a formal caution and I get nothing. I reluctantly chose the resolution as it's an instant result that goes on his record and I don't have to spend time and energy chasing him for money through the county courts.
I'm disappointed as you can't go round belting people like that for taking their rightful place on the road; there should be real consequences. My frustration doesn't lie with the police but the procedures that govern them. They've already collected the compensation and passed it on to me and they're going to post me the letter of apology. When I have that I'll make the video public. Early next week, probably.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:35 pm

Ignoto wrote: I was given the choice of a local resolution consisting of a written apology and compensation for the damage to the bike or him receiving a formal caution and I get nothing. I reluctantly chose the resolution as it's an instant result that goes on his record and I don't have to spend time and energy chasing him for money through the county courts.
i'd have taken the formal caution and made his life difficult by pursuing him through the courts. even if you get nothing, the formal caution will teach him a lesson.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:39 pm

Ridiculous that youtube took the initial posting down for contravening their "shocking and disgusting content" guidelines, considering all the russian road accident videos that are obviously fatalities.

Good work with the cam!

Annoying that the driver got off lightly, but on the upside he had to pay for the damage up front.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Have to say I might not have been restrained as that cyclist, that guy didn't look so big...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:32 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Have to say I might not have been restrained as that cyclist, that guy didn't look so big...
I would have made him run for a bit :mrgreen:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:33 pm

This morning out for a ride. Stopped at some lights, had I taken off earlier a the left hook would have been a problem. Although about 3min later the same car gave further indication of her comtempt for cyclists. I could hear it coming and knew it was going to be a fast pass on a narrow seciotn of the road. Black car wasn't as bad. Probably should claim the lane a bit better in that section. THird part of the clip is a driver slowing behind us, then wiaiting for a good passing oppotunity - and a P-plater to boot!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:16 pm

trailgumby wrote:Ridiculous that youtube took the initial posting down for contravening their "shocking and disgusting content" guidelines, considering all the russian road accident videos that are obviously fatalities.

The OP's account isn't on YouTube now, someone else who uploaded it has their account "not in good standing" for their trouble with "Rejected (content inappropriate)" next to it.

Last edited by KonaCommuter on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2012 Oppy A4

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:58 pm

jules21 wrote:
Ignoto wrote: I was given the choice of a local resolution consisting of a written apology and compensation for the damage to the bike or him receiving a formal caution and I get nothing. I reluctantly chose the resolution as it's an instant result that goes on his record and I don't have to spend time and energy chasing him for money through the county courts.
i'd have taken the formal caution and made his life difficult by pursuing him through the courts. even if you get nothing, the formal caution will teach him a lesson.
I'd check what paperwork you signed, e.g. any indemnity you have given. I'd also write to the local police commissioner and complaint about the refusal to prosecute for two or more prima facie offences. No previous? What legislation says you can only prosecute if someone has previous..?

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:59 pm

bychosis wrote:This morning out for a ride. Stopped at some lights, had I taken off earlier a the left hook would have been a problem. Although about 3min later the same car gave further indication of her comtempt for cyclists. I could hear it coming and knew it was going to be a fast pass on a narrow seciotn of the road. Black car wasn't as bad. Probably should claim the lane a bit better in that section. THird part of the clip is a driver slowing behind us, then wiaiting for a good passing oppotunity - and a P-plater to boot!
I hate riding through those bends. Nearly got knocked over by a truck driver through there last week - didn't seem to realise how long his tray was.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:48 pm

London Boy wrote:
jules21 wrote:
I'd check what paperwork you signed, e.g. any indemnity you have given. I'd also write to the local police commissioner and complaint about the refusal to prosecute for two or more prima facie offences. No previous? What legislation says you can only prosecute if someone has previous..?
Start from the beginning again. :roll:

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:02 pm

ningnangnong wrote:
bychosis wrote:This morning out for a ride. Stopped at some lights, had I taken off earlier a the left hook would have been a problem. Although about 3min later the same car gave further indication of her comtempt for cyclists. I could hear it coming and knew it was going to be a fast pass on a narrow seciotn of the road. Black car wasn't as bad. Probably should claim the lane a bit better in that section. THird part of the clip is a driver slowing behind us, then wiaiting for a good passing oppotunity - and a P-plater to boot!
I hate riding through those bends. Nearly got knocked over by a truck driver through there last week - didn't seem to realise how long his tray was.
I wasn't riding with the guy in front. Only when he passed me and I knew the bends were coming up I hooked on behind for safety in numbers.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:22 am

Moron motorist this morning predawn (with my headlight on and two blinkys) on Footscray Rd/ Sims Street.
Coming of (sheperds I'm a accident waiting to happen bridge) heading into town.
Moron motorist decides to pull up blocking the shared path so I have to go around him (he had a smug look on his face) so turned my head as I went past him glared at him and he face full of 500 lumens on blink.
He wound down his window and said... : "your supposed to be on the road Insert expletive here " :shock:

My response " your supposed to know how to drive its called a bike path", then just in case he drove up the road and did a u'y I put the jets on :)

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Wow....
What a ride I had this morning.

First one of the morning, it's got me beat what motorists are thinking about when there driving.

I guess this one just didn't know how to move over.

Getting so sick of idiot drivers.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:59 pm

ozzymac wrote:Wow....

First one of the morning, it's got me beat what motorists are thinking about when there driving.
Wowee Ozzymac. I would be submitting that one to the police for them to have a word with him about it. Did you have to move over so as not to have a head on?

Really poor driving shown there.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:02 pm

cp123 wrote:...I also yelled "I have you on camera" (which i didn't), but pointed to one of the gadgets on my handlebars.
Good stuff. I'd bet that is what cooled him off.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Summernight wrote:
ozzymac wrote:Wow....

Wowee Ozzymac. I would be submitting that one to the police for them to have a word with him about it. Did you have to move over so as not to have a head on?

Really poor driving shown there.

There isn't much of an edge to move over to on that section of the Hwy, luckily he was turning back to his lane by the time he went past.

It was a nice straight section of road so he would of seen me, plus when I saw him pull out i moved out to make sure he would of seen me, but he just kept going.

I was so peeved off by the time I got into town after another couple of them that I stopped in at the local police station and managed to catch him before he went out.
He said to drop the video in and I can do a statement at the same time.

Just seems to be getting more dangerous every day.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:41 am

Twice in one morning on the weekend. Riding in a group with riders promptly moving to single file when the call of "Car back" came. An L plater waited patiently until it was safe to pass us but as he was doing so, a moron motorist took off from behind him and overtook the L plater while he was overtaking us!

Not half an hour later, exactly the same thing, except this time the patient and courteous driver was a red P plater.

Left me wondering how our younger drivers are ever going to learn with this type of example from supposedly more experienced drivers!

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:18 pm

Yesterday arvo I was overtaken by

- one hatchback that crossed double-lines, over a pedestrian crossing outside a school
- a minute later (closer to 30 secs) a ute over double-lines 50m before I turned off at a roundabout
- a 4WD that overtook my as I was signalling and commencing a right turn into a side street

I had video of them, but deleted it when I got home because I'm sick of the grief sometimes (most of the time). It just makes me angrier watching it again.

Most people are good, some people are idiots. Like you Tracey I don't know how some people learn when there are such tools on the roads...........
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:53 pm

OK this isn't me and it isn't a bicycle (it is a motor bike). But the driver certainly belongs in this thread.

The final frame is gratifying in macabre sort of way.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:OK this isn't me and it isn't a bicycle (it is a motor bike). But the driver certainly belongs in this thread.

OMGosh. OMGosh. OMGosh. New pair of pants needed after watching that. :shock:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:41 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:The final frame is gratifying in macabre sort of way.
i wouldn't rush to judgment, a similar thing almost happened to me once. the throttle got stuck and i avoided a head-on by forcing the car next to me onto the shoulder. the guy next to me didn't help me at all, probably assuming i was being a hoon. in the video above, the driver actually 'saves' the biker's life by swerving off the road. although it's entirely possible it was his driving that was the cause of the incident.

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:53 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:OK this isn't me and it isn't a bicycle (it is a motor bike). But the driver certainly belongs in this thread.

Gee, my heart rate stepped up a bit watching that one :shock:

ab012

Postby ab012 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:55 pm

heart still pumping...

riding down Anzac Parade (Kensington NSW) around 1:30pm, me taking middle of the lane going a bit over 40km/hr. Not too much traffic. Suddenly a falcon going the opposite direction (two lane each way, seperated) decided to do a U turn into my lane right in front of me :evil: :evil: :evil: :shock:

I screamed Jesus :!: and thankfully manage to brake in time.. skidding and with the rear wheel jumping up in the process.. somehow i managed to stay on the bike (perhaps my new 105 brakes helped 8) ? + I was on the drops 8) ).

Said Falcon was then stopped by another car parkign a little further up the rode and I almost had an urge of have a word with the driver :x but noticed that a cop car was right behind me. When traffic was moving again the cops dutifully overtook me and pulled the falcon in to book him/her 8) Well done and thanks to the boys (and girls) in blue. 8)

legs are still jelly... deep breath, deep breath... :?