Merino Thermal Innerwear

kunalraiker

Merino Thermal Innerwear

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:51 pm

All,

Looking for recommendation on where you have (if you have) purchased thermal innerwear - most of the options cost over $50.00 for top long sleeves and another $50 for long pants.
Anywhere you've found cheaper options?

Please note I'am not looking for cycling wear necessarily, this is more for innerwear at hwork and possible at home.

Wiggle's home brand is always out of sizes, hence I'am looking to the cool kids for some reco :D

brawlo

Re: Merino Thermal Innerwear

Postby brawlo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:21 pm

Wilderness wear is where I got my stuff from after a recommendation on this site. Fairly good pricing and local product.

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:36 pm

I bought a base layer merino top at Kathmandu yesterday. It was $55 though. I don't think you can get much for less than that as merino just is expensive. If you buy much cheaper it will be scratchy.

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:11 pm

I also have a few Kathmandu merino tops/tshirts, about the only thing I'll buy from them these days. They're good buying when on clearance during the 50% off sales...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

gaz0303

Postby gaz0303 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:44 pm

I often find Icebreaker on clearance at bivouac in NZ online. Postage is always free and quick. As somebody who has been involved at the research end of wool and textile production, don't get tempted by cheap brands. Wool will have a thicker diameter, making it more itchy for a small % of the population and more so for women, or the wool will have lower quality fibres that result in holes appearing quickly. Another trick of cheap merino products is to use wax that makes its feel soft in the store but it soon washes out. I also found good stuff from groundeffects also in NZ. There windbreaker merino singlet lasted more than 4 years commuting on the northern tablelands.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:26 pm

I have bought from these guys a few different sorts of ice breaker bottom pieces, both the cycling chamois decked out and just normal thermals

http://www.outsidesports.co.nz/Sale/Icebreaker.htm#mens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't forget to change to AU$ - prices seem to be within your threshold.
They periodically discount their stock so its a good idea to get on their mailing list

I was mostly interested in them for their hygienic qualities out on the road ... although given the most toxic part of the cycling shorts will be the chamois (which obviously isn't a merino construction - lol) , its not really so much of a plus. I find the 3/4 ones the best for active wear.
Go!Run!GAH!

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:31 pm

Got these on special last year for $49 each from memory.

https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/DC ... sleeve-top" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excellent. Doesn't stink and doesn't get hot if the weather warms up.

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:15 pm

brawlo wrote:Wilderness wear is where I got my stuff from after a recommendation on this site. Fairly good pricing and local product.
Ordered, now to wait and see.

Fitzroy

Postby Fitzroy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:51 pm

kunalraiker wrote:
brawlo wrote:Wilderness wear is where I got my stuff from after a recommendation on this site. Fairly good pricing and local product.
Ordered, now to wait and see.
Thumbs up! Great base layers.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:43 am

On your second order with Wilderness Wear, you get access to member prices. It's good stuff too.

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:45 am

m@ wrote:I also have a few Kathmandu merino tops/tshirts, about the only thing I'll buy from them these days. They're good buying when on clearance during the 50% off sales...
I bought about $3oo dollars of camping gear(gear that was on sale-50-60% off) man who can afford to pay their retail price? could spend a week on a overseas holiday with one or two jackets..
Cycling shops have got nothing on this joint for price mark up, the chick behind the counter said she had accidently seen the NZ price list and said id be supprised how much the markup is.
I wont be back any time soon or latter for that matter unless iv got warranty issues
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:34 am

norbs wrote:Got these on special last year for $49 each from memory.

https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/DC ... sleeve-top" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excellent. Doesn't stink and doesn't get hot if the weather warms up.
I bought the same top over summer for $30. Also the matching tights for another $30. I haven't worn them yet but the way the temperature has dropped this week it won't be long until I do.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:26 am

orbeas wrote:
m@ wrote:I also have a few Kathmandu merino tops/tshirts, about the only thing I'll buy from them these days. They're good buying when on clearance during the 50% off sales...
I bought about $3oo dollars of camping gear(gear that was on sale-50-60% off) man who can afford to pay their retail price? could spend a week on a overseas holiday with one or two jackets..
Cycling shops have got nothing on this joint for price mark up, the chick behind the counter said she had accidently seen the NZ price list and said id be supprised how much the markup is.
I wont be back any time soon or latter for that matter unless iv got warranty issues
Kathmandu don't really have sales. Instead, they regularly and temporarily jack their prices up by 100-120%, and take down the "Clearance sale" signs for a week or so :lol:

Don't even go in to a Kathmandu store when they're on one of their anti-sale cycles. Just wait a couple of weeks for the prices to get back to normal. :wink:

As for merino base-layers - http://www.on-one.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; often have good deals. Especially for "bundle" package-deals. Freight can be a bit steep, but that just means you need to buy more stuff to spread the freight cost over...

tim

wardie

Postby wardie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:55 am

I wear Endura Baa Baa merino tops. Love them.
Giant XTC 2

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:07 am

PlanetX/On-One

Mattheq

Postby Mattheq » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:11 pm

Ice Beaker make some excellent garments.

http://au.icebreaker.com/

Factory outlet is in Melbourne, but I've purchased online and had delivery to Perth with no problem. http://www.factoryoutletshopping.com.au ... XZ5assaySM

Hope this helps.

Matthew
2011 Giant CrossCity 1
2011 Giant XtC 29er 1

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:59 am

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/DCBYMN1MM1PXLG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$29.99!

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:20 pm

wardie wrote:I wear Endura Baa Baa merino tops. Love them.
I have a long sleeve and short sleeve, brilliant tops
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:33 pm

Bought a couple, also wilderness wear is awesome, wearing some right now :)

Magnum9

Postby Magnum9 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:28 pm

http://www.nzoactive.com/au/products/ba ... X4FBXgt0uw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

revinR1

Postby revinR1 » Fri May 03, 2013 2:56 am

If it just for home and work , personally I think you can't go past the thermals that lowes sell ( must be the honey Combe ) it's all I wear for work can't tell you the brand as they are that old the tags have worn off.
Few years ago I bought done da-mart stuff the coldest rating well was crap probably would of been warmer in a singlet

sparco

Postby sparco » Mon May 06, 2013 11:48 am

kunalraiker wrote: Bought a couple, also wilderness wear is awesome, wearing some right now :)
How do you find the sleeves on this one? Are they long enough to cover your whole lower arm when your on the hood or drops?

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Mon May 06, 2013 11:51 am

sparco wrote:
kunalraiker wrote: Bought a couple, also wilderness wear is awesome, wearing some right now :)
How do you find the sleeves on this one? Are they long enough to cover your whole lower arm when your on the hood or drops?

Long enough, any longer and they would bother me.

Ugh

Postby Ugh » Mon May 06, 2013 8:00 pm

About 6 years ago I purchased the ristretto from ground effect, still perfect after LOTS of abuse on and off the bike. Can not recommend highly enough.

jbanh

Postby jbanh » Mon May 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Ray's Outdoors have 100% merino thermals that are suitable for cycling. They've got a close fit to the body and a long body so your backside isn't exposed to the cold