Great Ocean & Otway Classic

snark

Great Ocean & Otway Classic

Postby snark » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:20 pm

Hi folks,

Anyone else planning on doing the Great Ocean & Otway Classic on April 20?

I've signed up today for the 145km and looking forward to it as a bit of a challenge. It'll be my longest ride - my previous longest was one of the 125km Amy's rides.

Cheers,
Simon.

clackers

Re: Great Ocean & Otway Classic

Postby clackers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:42 pm

That was my position last year, Snark. I used it as a stepping stone to doing the 210km ATB in the spring. Had a great time, including the descent from Deans Marsh.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:04 am

They just re-opened the online entry form until 5PM today - just found out that weekend is now free so seriously considering. But I'd prefer not to have to drive down there on my own - anyone able to offer a lift, or want one? (I have a fairly basic bike rack but it does the job). If you want a lift I'd be leaving Kensington just before 6AM. If you're offering one, happy to arrange to meet where-ever and whenever is convenient.

drcolossus1

Postby drcolossus1 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:54 pm

I signed up last year. Was riding a bit back then. I then had to go overseas unexpectedly. Missed 2 months of riding from feb :shock:

Anyway, not much of a climber and when I signed, I did a little research and saw that the Benwerein climb was about 7km (or so I thought). According to the email just sent out it is 13km :o

I can do kinglake, so I knew I could cover around 7km but 13km!!!! I don't know. Can't remember the site I saw that said it was 7 but I plan to find it and complain :lol:

How does it compare to kinglake? Sorry, it's the only decent climb I've done that I can compare it to.

Thanks.

btothec

Postby btothec » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:19 pm

Strava Segment for the climb:
http://app.strava.com/segments/3727484

I've never ridden king lake before so can't help you there. It isn't a constant climb so there a quite a few places up it that you can ease off and recover.

cpical

Postby cpical » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:36 am

Really no need to worry. It is longer than Kinglake, but not difficult. So take it easy at the beginning and accelerate if you can toward the end.

drcolossus1

Postby drcolossus1 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:24 am

Awesome, thanks for the replys. Looking forward to it!

snark

Postby snark » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:57 am

I did Deans Marsh to Lorne and back a couple of months ago, when my previous biggest climb was only about 160 metres (no big hills close to home). Having never climbed something that long I just sat on a comfortable heart rate and I was surprised at how comfortably was able to make the hills in both directions. I agree with cpical - just take it easy and you'll be fine.

One small disappointment is that I started at the store in Deans Marsh, and the strava segment btothec looks to start a couple of metres before I did :oops:.

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

drcolossus1

Postby drcolossus1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:57 am

Great ride on saturday. Everyone here was right about the climb, nothing to worry about, even for a big guy like me.

The wind was a bit tough along Great Ocean Rd and I found that the last 40 km was the toughest part of the ride (not just because of my lack of fitness :lol: )

Averaged 27km/hr which for me was decent. My longest ride prior to this ride so far this year was 40km, so you could say I love a challenge! I rode with a group until the climb then pretty much the remainder of the way solo as every time I would get in a group there would be someone wobbling all over the road and my new bike is much to precious to be put into that short of danger so early in its life! :wink: easier to sit off the back or go around if I felt comfortable. That said, I only saw 1 person on the side of the road who had come off, unlike that other ride from last year - ATB, where people couldn't stay on their f***ing bikes! :roll:

Some may say I'm harsh for saying this, but I had a small chuckle at the guy who raced pass me up the climb, practically sprinting. I then saw the same guy a few km's later. He was hunched over chucking his guts up :shock: :twisted:

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:50 am

drcolossus1 wrote:

Some may say I'm harsh for saying this, but I had a small chuckle at the guy who raced pass me up the climb, practically sprinting. I then saw the same guy a few km's later. He was hunched over chucking his guts up :shock: :twisted:
Just Darwinism at work, Colossus, nothing you can be blamed for. :smile:

snark

Postby snark » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:57 pm

What Colossus said - great ride on Saturday. Well done on top of only a 40km ride this year.

I averaged just under 30km/h and finished with a moving time of 4h47m (and another 20 odd minutes or so of breaks) which I'm stoked about.

One first was riding in a big fast bunch. I got sucked up by a big bunch just after turning on to Hendy Main Rd and except for a minute or so at the front (that was hard work!) it was amazing sitting on about 45km/h with the legs only just ticking over. Unfortunately the bunch left me behind one we started going up. A stop at Deans Marsh for a drink top-up and a yummy bit of fruit cake, and then on to a comfortable ride up Benwerrin chatting with someone else who was happy to let the more accomplished climbers charge on ahead.

The decent into Lorne was great. That first view of the water is amazing. For some reason that whole section was almost deserted - there were a number of people having a break at the top of Benwerrin.

As Colossus said, that last stretch from Lorne to Torquay into the head wind was hard work. The section between Lorne and Anglesea isn't as flat as it seems from a car :). My legs were starting to feel it and I started to cramp a bit each time I tried to stand up, but a 10 minute stop at Anglesea made a world of difference. Hooked up with a couple of other riders at the top of the Anglesea hill and got back to Torquay feeling a lot better than I did in Anglesea.

Went for a light ride yesterday, and can still walk today. Mission accomplished :). The Amy's Gran Fondo in September looks good now...

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."