Winter Commuting Gear Suggestion (shared use with jogging?)

dreison

Winter Commuting Gear Suggestion (shared use with jogging?)

Postby dreison » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:13 am

Hi all – as the cold weather approaches I would really like to get a decent set of clothing to cover the cold and often wet days of Sydney winter. As I usually jog to work one day a week to mix up the cycling routine, so I would be most interested to get clothing that can also be used for the jog( if possible).

I’m new to cycle specific clothing so I would be quite keen if anyone could suggest the full clothing recommended – I don’t necessarily need specific brands and purchase suggestions just the types of gear and materials suggested.

One final consideration is wet gear – if gear won’t dry quickly should I get a second set of some gear?
Budget is flexible but I tend to go for mid-range gear and only buy the top priced stuff if the mid-range gear doesn’t meet my expectations.

Thanks for reading - Andrei

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Winter Commuting Gear Suggestion (shared use with joggin

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:12 pm

For lightness and a reasonable capacity to keep the wind out a simple cheap spray jacket works well. It can get a bit sticky so but sometimes that is prefereable to the other choices.

And half way into your ride if it is not needed you just tie it around the waist, knotting the sleeves together.

They are cheap and come in fluro. Winter is a time that you should worry more about visibility than what looks cools. They also usually have a hood if yu do not want to carry a beany. And pockets that you can stuff the beanie and gloves in when you are finished with those too.

And with a spray jacket over top you only need a relatively light warm thing underneath when the need arises.

Light, cheap and convenient.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

giantguy

Postby giantguy » Fri May 10, 2013 7:16 pm

This is what I wear in Perth during winter for my 10 km commute.

If the temperature is above about 10-12 degrees and not raining, long sleeve fluoro yellow jersey, fluoro vest with reflective strips (from bunnings), mountain bike cycling shorts, fingerless cycling gloves.

If it is raining then add a lightweight water resistant rain jacket and sometimes leg warmers.

When the temperature is below about 8 degrees, I add leg warmers, second shirt or thermal top under my jersey and full fingered gloves which doesn't have to be cycling specific. I started with some gloves bought at kmart but now have some thermal cycling style gloves.

Rain jackets can make you feel really hot so I usually only wear mine when there is a considerable amount of rain.

I also suggest lots of bright lights. Especially lights so that you can see what is in front of you. It is amazing the amount of ninjas seen riding in dark clothing with no lights or the early morning dog walker.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun May 12, 2013 11:48 pm

Depends alot on the type pf person. I have run in 5 degree and lower weather and after the initial shock I still counldn't wear anything more than a t-shirt (and gloves are nice).

In winter I like to wear a non-cycling specific polar fleece type vest. I find that it reduces the initial cold shock and the cold wind blowing over while cycling reduces heat build up. But not really packable if you dont cycle with a bag.

I have also seen jackets which my friends run in, they contain lots of zips for ventilation.