Mt Wellington Challenge 2013

Baldy

Mt Wellington Challenge 2013

Postby Baldy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:45 pm

Its this sunday the 21st April. Online entries close Wednesday night I think.[You can enter on the day but Its a bit extra] It is limited to 300 riders but you should be fine its unlikely to reach that amount.

The orange army is sending a few up the hill. Joe Cooper, Nathan Earle, Jai Crawford. So even if you don't want to race it will be worth getting along to watch these boys. Serious climbing talent there.

Click here to win free tickets to spectate anywhere along the race route.
http://mtwellingtonchallenge.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Re: Mt Wellington Challenge 2013

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:58 pm

Baldy wrote: It is limited to 300 riders but you should be fine its unlikely to reach that amount.
Why is that? If it was possible I would be there with bells on, wellington is absolutely extraordinary. Surely there's more than 300 keen cyclists in Tassie.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:19 pm

Not sure really, I can't throw any stones either I have never done it.[I'm helping with marshal duty this year]

Last couple of years they got about 120-130

Weather looks good. Its a good chance to race in the same event as a future TDF stage winner 8)

The mountain is handing out arse's this Sunday.....Come get yours :mrgreen:

skull

Postby skull » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:27 pm

Drivers are precious about their road up to Ferntree being over run be bicycles.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:13 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Baldy wrote: It is limited to 300 riders but you should be fine its unlikely to reach that amount.
Why is that? If it was possible I would be there with bells on, wellington is absolutely extraordinary. Surely there's more than 300 keen cyclists in Tassie.
There certainly are more than 300 keen cyclists in Tassie but for whatever reason many don't ride this event.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:33 pm

skull wrote:Drivers are precious about their road up to Ferntree being over run be bicycles.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:02 am

doggatas wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
There certainly are more than 300 keen cyclists in Tassie but for whatever reason many don't ride this event.

more would if we had a cable car to travel back down in
when do we stop for coffee???

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:46 am

Baldy wrote:Not sure really, I can't throw any stones either I have never done it.[I'm helping with marshal duty this year]

:mrgreen:

I do recall you being photographed with your bike up there some time ago Baldy. Was that secret training :D :?:

m@

Postby m@ » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:19 pm

BarryTas wrote:
doggatas wrote:There certainly are more than 300 keen cyclists in Tassie but for whatever reason many don't ride this event.

more would if we had a cable car to travel back down in
...or if there was a cafe at the summit so they could get an espresso :twisted:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:12 pm

master6 wrote:
Baldy wrote:Not sure really, I can't throw any stones either I have never done it.[I'm helping with marshal duty this year]

:mrgreen:

I do recall you being photographed with your bike up there some time ago Baldy. Was that secret training :D :?:
Ah yeah by done it I mean the race. I have been to the summit 4 times in my life and 3 of those were on a bike. I think you are talking about my first ride up, in the Kenny kit? Geez I was skinny then!

I took some photos if anyone wants a stickybeak...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 4af3e78356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't ask me about the drafting :lol: I was just a last min ring in marshal, my authority extended to standing there with an officious look on my face.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:06 am

Baldy wrote: I can't throw any stones either I have never done it.(I'm helping with marshal duty this year)
Now is a good time to start training for next years event Baldy. You could do no better than including the Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride into your program.

You are invited to fill the guest speakers seat on any day of your choosing. You choose the subject :D

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:19 pm

and done

more peolpe should do this event, well more riders should ride more events in general

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:24 pm

BarryTas wrote:and done

more peolpe should do this event, well more riders should ride more events in general
Good opening line Barry. Can you expand on this thought? Why? When? where? How?

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Are you asking for more events or that more riders should participate in the events already on the calendar? or both?

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:47 pm

doggatas wrote:Are you asking for more events or that more riders should participate in the events already on the calendar? or both?
dogga, Barry put in a brilliant ride up the big hill, and it is understandable that he is still enjoying that post ride cycling orgasmic like euphoria that follows an extremely satisfying performance. He has earned it, and is entitled to prolong the state for as long as possible. :D

The downside is that his incoherent ramblings are a symptom of his present state, and we will have to be patient, perhaps for days. :roll:

A Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride might help bring him back to earth, via the "wait for ya mates" obligation :D

Come in Barry :)

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:34 pm

this....more riders should participate in the events already on the calendar

there are so many riders out there, it would be great to see a higher attendance at riding events, including community rides, charity rides, races, audax etc

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:57 pm

BarryTas wrote:...more riders should participate in the events already on the calendar

Barry, I dont think that riders "should" participate in anything. You could suggest that more people "should" go to church, or participate in a whole range of activities, however "should" implies an obligation to do so.
It would be more productive to try to attract more participation, as you can encourage people to do something, and you will likely have much more success that trying to drive them to it.
You mentioned that "there are so many riders out there..."
Yes, they are out there, riding their bicycles in their 100's, most likely 1000's, and on most Sundays less than 30 choose to participate in racing in our area. They make a choice of activity based on factors such as "What will I enjoy most?" "What will it cost$ me?" "How will it fit with my partner/family?". "Where will I feel most welcome?" "Where will my ego be best massaged?" Many more factors will be considered.
Potential participants need to be looked on as customers of a business, and offered encouragement and attractions to participate.

I have not been to a bike race for 13 months, however I watch from a distance via the internet sites, facebook, chat over coffee with other cyclists, some of whom are regularly racing.

My feeling is that some people are on the right track, and are doing a lot to attract riders. Collin Burns, Allan Knight, and Evan Evans are three people on the right track in my opinion. They are out there organising racing, and most importantly, very actively broadcasting goings on to all and sundry. They are selling the sport to the riding customers, and potential customers. They are leading and attracting, a slow process, but one that will work. They are not saying "should".

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:53 pm

master6 wrote:
BarryTas wrote:...more riders should participate in the events already on the calendar

Barry, I dont think that riders "should" participate in anything. You could suggest that more people "should" go to church, or participate in a whole range of activities, however "should" implies an obligation to do so.
It would be more productive to try to attract more participation, as you can encourage people to do something, and you will likely have much more success that trying to drive them to it.
You mentioned that "there are so many riders out there..."
Yes, they are out there, riding their bicycles in their 100's, most likely 1000's, and on most Sundays less than 30 choose to participate in racing in our area. They make a choice of activity based on factors such as "What will I enjoy most?" "What will it cost$ me?" "How will it fit with my partner/family?". "Where will I feel most welcome?" "Where will my ego be best massaged?" Many more factors will be considered.
Potential participants need to be looked on as customers of a business, and offered encouragement and attractions to participate.

I have not been to a bike race for 13 months, however I watch from a distance via the internet sites, facebook, chat over coffee with other cyclists, some of whom are regularly racing.

My feeling is that some people are on the right track, and are doing a lot to attract riders. Collin Burns, Allan Knight, and Evan Evans are three people on the right track in my opinion. They are out there organising racing, and most importantly, very actively broadcasting goings on to all and sundry. They are selling the sport to the riding customers, and potential customers. They are leading and attracting, a slow process, but one that will work. They are not saying "should".
How many road races do they organise and run in the south of the state each year? Evan and the wheelers do a good job with the crits at Tolosa, in particular with the juniors.

A quote from facebook...
"Well Done Gerald Evans pictured after winning this years Burnie 80. Special thanks to CBCC for putting on this event, hopefully next year if gets a bit more support from the riders."

I think any reasonable person would read that as Colin saying more people should do the race next year. He also had a bit of a grumble about some riders coming down south to do the MWC when there was a race on up there.

I agree with Barry and Colin 100%. People should do more events/races..... because they are fun. Or they can play it safe and just do rides where everyone is a winner :)

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:36 am

Ok, let me re-phrase

With such a high number of riders in the Hobart area, I think that it’s a shame that there are not more riders participating/attending the various cycling events on offer

See that I did not specify the type of even ie races, organised rides, fundraiser rides, challenges…………… or what day of the week they are on

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:07 pm

As a Hobart commuter / occasional weekend rider, I'm only very loosely aware of these events you speak of. I heard of the two recent ones, however not keen on big hills with my left knee being pretty bad.

If there were more easily found casual weekend rides starting in Greater Hobart, that suit my relatively amateur skillset; then I would be 100% more likely to participate.

This is only my opinion; I'm sure there are plenty of rides / groups out there. Have just heard of very few that suit my capabilities or free time.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:27 pm

Bob_TAS wrote:As a Hobart commuter / occasional weekend rider, I'm only very loosely aware of these events you speak of. I heard of the two recent ones, however not keen on big hills with my left knee being pretty bad.

If there were more easily found casual weekend rides starting in Greater Hobart, that suit my relatively amateur skillset; then I would be 100% more likely to participate.

This is only my opinion; I'm sure there are plenty of rides / groups out there. Have just heard of very few that suit my capabilities or free time.
Have you checked the Dome ride which goes from the Dome Coffee shop in Sandy Bay at 8am each Saturday? When I last rode there, they had a couple of groups to cater for a wider range of ability. Go down there at 7.50 am and have a chat to them.

Perhaps their leaders might enlighten you here if they come across the post.

Obviously there is limited opportunity to avoid hills around Hobart, however low gears might make it possible for you if you start out with a group who ride at a slower pace. There is no shame in doing what you need to do to look after your health. We ride to improve or maintain our wellbeing, not destroy it.

Good luck. There is a lot of fun out there waiting for you. :)

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:37 pm

master6 wrote:
Bob_TAS wrote:As a Hobart commuter / occasional weekend rider, I'm only very loosely aware of these events you speak of. I heard of the two recent ones, however not keen on big hills with my left knee being pretty bad.

Have you checked the Dome ride which goes from the Dome Coffee shop in Sandy Bay at 8am each Saturday? When I last rode there, they had a couple of groups to cater for a wider range of ability. Go down there at 7.50 am and have a chat to them.

Perhaps their leaders might enlighten you here if they come across the post.

Obviously there is limited opportunity to avoid hills around Hobart, however low gears might make it possible for you if you start out with a group who ride at a slower pace. There is no shame in doing what you need to do to look after your health. We ride to improve or maintain our wellbeing, not destroy it.

Good luck. There is a lot of fun out there waiting for you. :)
Thanks master6.

I appreciate that hills are for the most part unavoidable, was mostly referring to the Mt Wellington ride as possibly being too much.

Pending nice weather over the weekend was thinking of heading out to Richmond, but will keep the Dome ride in reserve also.

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:08 pm

master6 wrote: We ride to improve or maintain our wellbeing, not destroy it.
Not sure about that. I have riden with a few people on a wednesday that seem hell bent on destroying my well being........Just saying....... :P :twisted: :lol:

I believe there is a sunday ride out to richmond that leaves zero davey around 8:45, they usually go out richmond rd & back via grasstree...seems to be a bunch of all levels.
Also there is a ride from cremorne on Sunday at 7:30
Felt AR2