Which pannier bags?

takai

Which pannier bags?

Postby takai » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:49 am

Now that its getting wetter and colder, im teetering on the edge of switching to pannier bags rather than a backpack for commuting.

I was planning on picking up this rack: http://www.velogear.com.au/bike-accesso ... dh309.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but im stuck on which bags to go with it. Been looking through what is available on T7 and c r c and Velogear, but nothing really stands out.

Key features would be waterproofness and size. Also i would want separable left and right panniers so i can just mount one on dry days.

Thoughts?

clackers

Re: Which pannier bags?

Postby clackers » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:06 am

Raining this morning in Melbourne for the first time in a while, the Ortliebs aren't cheap but are tough and get my change of clothes, lunch and electronics through any downpours every time.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:17 am

I've used a set of the Ridesportz panniers that Velogear stock for the last couple of years, and I highly recommend them. Solid, totally waterproof, good built in reflectors and dead easy to mount to a variety of racks. What they lack from the more expensive brands are internal compartments, as they just have one small separate zipped compartment in the lid, shoulder straps, and a clip together arrangement. They do have carry handles at the top, but if you had to walk a fair distance with a decent amount of weight in them this might get a bit tedious so something to consider.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:46 pm

Tak, have a read of this
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=59910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Ortleib seem to be the pannier bags of choice for most touring cyclists.
Waterproof and tough.
I bought mine from PBK.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:06 pm

+1 to Ortliebs. They are are 100% waterproof and well worth the money. I have used & abused mine for over 4 years and they are still going along quite nicely.
When you get them, buy a suitable patch repair kit at the same time, otherwise they won't be very waterproof if you damage them. Better to have the kit now rather than once you have a hole that needs fixing! That said, they are pretty strong bags!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:47 pm

I used that rack for years with these panniers. Eventually sold them (rack and panniers) to a member here and switched to a messenger bag

takai

Postby takai » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Hm, maybe ill give the messenger bag a go for a while when its raining. I have a Fux Delux already

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:25 pm

I have these: http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/TGB ... ar-pannier" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they kept everything dry through a torrential downpour and I've used them every day almost for >1 year and they're as new. No sign of wear that I can see... I'd higly recommend them over these: http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/TGB ... ar-pannier" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which died within three months of use.

T.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:36 pm

I use Ortliebs and am very happy with them.
I bought them from bike24.com
Good prices/slow postage
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:57 pm

rifraf wrote:I use Ortliebs and am very happy with them.
Good prices/slow postage
St Kilda Cycles/Bikes on Brunswick in Melbourne do a better price than that once you factor in shipping, $179 for a pair.
Disclaimer: I work there. :wink:

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:12 pm

I just got a pair of Vaude Road Master Front panniers (on special from T7 but not bad at the normal price). They're front panniers but I use them on a normal rear rack. They're great for my commute, I use one for my normal ride to work when I just need a shirt, laptop and lunch, and both when I need to take a full change of clothes and towel. They're smaller than my older rear bags but plenty of space. The fastening system is similar to the Ortleibs and holds them on to the racks very solidly. They come with a waterproof cover but I've not yet had to ride them in too much rain.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

ray

Postby ray » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:25 pm

+1 to the Ortliebs.

I have the Downtown briefcase which looks quite stylish for the rack:
http://www.ortlieb.com/_prod.php?lang=e ... owntownql3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I have the white one). The QL3 mount stays on the rack and you clip the back of the bag onto it.

I also have the Vario which is a backpack that converts to a pannier as well which is hidden when used as a backpack:
http://www.ortlieb.com/_prod.php?lang=e ... t=varioql3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I have the green one) - the backpack comes into play when I'm sick of the the commuter flat bar and want to ride one of my road bikes or single-speed to do a riverloop before work or change it up. It is a love hate with the backpack because I invariably end up stuffing it to the brim carrying way too much in it.

Definitely get a patch kit as well because I have managed to snag it on a sharp corner or two. First time I used the pannier I managed to get stuck on a pole as I misjudged the width of my bike and bag along a narrow path :oops: Lucky I was coming to a crossing so was going slow at the time.

DJIntegr8

Postby DJIntegr8 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:10 am

I just fitted a set of Deuter Rack Pack LR on my commuter to try out panniers: http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/cyc ... nnier.aspx Previously I used a Carradice Nelson Longflap (18L) saddlebag with Bagman support.

Pros: Really cheap for a pair; great QR attachment, just lift up handle to attach and remove; bright rainproof cover included; can split up and use 1 bag if not carrying a lot, 32L total capacity.

Cons: Difficult to expand carrying capacity with single bag, though I can strap things to the rack; not enough storage pockets for wallet, phone and keys; clearly a bike bag when carrying around, Carradice just looked like an odd shoulder bag.

Only 2 rides down so far, will keep on it for a week and see how it goes.

Brendan

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:42 am

DJIntegr8 wrote:I just fitted a set of Deuter Rack Pack LR on my commuter to try out panniers: http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/cyc ... nnier.aspx Previously I used a Carradice Nelson Longflap (18L) saddlebag with Bagman support.

Pros: Really cheap for a pair; great QR attachment, just lift up handle to attach and remove; bright rainproof cover included; can split up and use 1 bag if not carrying a lot, 32L total capacity.

Cons: Difficult to expand carrying capacity with single bag, though I can strap things to the rack; not enough storage pockets for wallet, phone and keys; clearly a bike bag when carrying around, Carradice just looked like an odd shoulder bag.

Only 2 rides down so far, will keep on it for a week and see how it goes.

Brendan
Another con you have missed. Rain cover. Need to stop and put it on, or put it on before riding. Ortlieb just attach and ride and no need to worry about water unless you haven't sealed the bags properly
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rjk

Postby rjk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:07 pm

thomashouseman wrote:I have these: http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/TGB ... ar-pannier" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they kept everything dry through a torrential downpour and I've used them every day almost for >1 year and they're as new. No sign of wear that I can see... I'd higly recommend them over these: http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/TGB ... ar-pannier" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which died within three months of use.

T.

I have the tioga's when i commuted to work, every day for the whole year minus about 10 days, they kept everything dry no matter what melb thru at them.

I still have had them for over 4 years now, still no issue at all, very easy to use and totally waterproof, only issue that i hound is taht they are one big bag, i would have liked a couple of pockets ion them.

there is a mesh section under the tops that is great for storing wet weather gear, whether is is wet or dry :)

at $99 a pair you cant go wrong
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:50 pm

LugNut wrote:
Good prices/slow postage
St Kilda Cycles/Bikes on Brunswick in Melbourne do a better price than that once you factor in shipping, $179 for a pair.
Certainly is a much reduced price from when I last looked there - congrats on your shops competitiveness.
For just buying the Rear Roller Classics and postage your still about $10 dearer.
However if I was just buying these and nothing else, I'd buy yours.
When buying from Germany I tend to buy a number of things to bring down the postage/over all costs.
In the pipeline I've coming a Brooks Flyer Special, Thomson X4 stem, Sram PC-870 chain and some Shimano pd-t780 pedals and not even c r c were close enough for me to consider the pedestrian post issue. :o
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:23 pm

rifraf wrote:
LugNut wrote:
Good prices/slow postage
Certainly is a much reduced price from when I last looked there - congrats on your shops competitiveness.
For just buying the Rear Roller Classics and postage your still about $10 dearer.
However if I was just buying these and nothing else, I'd buy yours.
When buying from Germany I tend to buy a number of things to bring down the postage/over all costs.
In the pipeline I've coming a Brooks Flyer Special, Thomson X4 stem, Sram PC-870 chain and some Shimano pd-t780 pedals and not even c r c were close enough for me to consider the pedestrian post issue. :o
Yeah, makes sense. With the dollar so strong at the moment, I've been shopping in America for everything - Ben's cycles in Miluwalkee have a range of Nitto bars that you can't even get through Australian suppliers, and a few of their prices are competitive with what the shop pays for the same product. So it seems you end up paying for the shipping to Australia anyway.