Night glasses (prescription) - clear or transition?

MattyK

Night glasses (prescription) - clear or transition?

Postby MattyK » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Hey all, winter commuting season is upon us. I have some prescription sunnies that are fine for the day time, and my script hasn't changed notably in many years so they are still almost perfect for vision. But they're too dark for evening/night use.

My daily wear glasses aren't really suitable for keeping wind out of the eyes on the descents. I'm pondering buying a set of clear lens wraparounds, maybe these: http://www.bollesafety.com.au/products/ ... s%202.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clear lenses would probably be good, but what are people's experiences with transitions? Is it worth coughing up the extra? (would rather not spend extra if I have to, and as said I already have some functional rx sunnies)

jcjordan

Re: Night glasses (prescription) - clear or transition?

Postby jcjordan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:40 pm

I love photocromatic lenses. My morning ride starts in the dark but as it brightens the glases adjust and keeps the glare down without having to stop and switch out.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:30 pm

Should have mentioned, my commute is only about 20-25 minutes, so not a massive change in lighting conditions over that period...

zebedee

Postby zebedee » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:39 pm

i forked out for the transitions when i was getting my oakleys. the set was very expensive to start with so the transitions only added something like 10%. well worth it in my opinion.

kokoman

Postby kokoman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:55 pm

for night riding, definitely clear. Photochromic lenses even at night are still slightly tinted.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Those safety glasses you posted a pic of are hot. Wish I had them during my university chemistry lab days. Would have looked smashing with my stained lab coat. :D

I recently bought a clear lens and a tinted lens for some new Oakley sunnies because the store didn't have photochromics (and that's what I specifically went into buy, but what can I say? the sales lady was very good at her job). I'm now on the list for the next BNA group buy for Oakleys from the USA to purchase a pair of photochromic lenses so it'll be interesting to see the difference.

I change out the lenses at home in the evening for the next morning and at work for the evening ride. It is a slight annoyance carrying around the extra lens. But at least they are light.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Summernight wrote:Those safety glasses you posted a pic of are hot. Wish I had them during my university chemistry lab days. Would have looked smashing with my stained lab coat. :D
Interestingly, at work I (very) occasionally have to use the lab, so I'm trying to find out from the lab manager whether these are suitable as lab glasses, or whether there are different requirements for splash protection as opposed to impact (as these are designed for). Hope so as that should entitle me to a rebate from work. 8)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:15 pm

kokoman wrote:for night riding, definitely clear. Photochromic lenses even at night are still slightly tinted.
Depends on the tint.

Mine are not. I use them for night mountain bike racing and they're great. They're also prescription. See the MyTinySun review - that's me in the photo.

They're Okaley Flaks. Not cheap.

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:23 pm

I have transition prescription lenses in rudy project frames and they arent tinted until you get uv exposure. At night they are crystal clear.
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

kokoman

Postby kokoman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Never known transition or photo lenses to be as clear as clear lenses even in their clearest state. Just sayin..

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:02 pm

I had a similar issue and changed my prescriptionc glasses for ones with larger lense in them, they provide sufficient wind protection.

The old ones had pretty small lenses and tended to channel the wind directly into my eyes.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:18 pm

kokoman wrote:Never known transition or photo lenses to be as clear as clear lenses even in their clearest state. Just sayin..
Probably true, but only just noticeable ... if you look carefully. Mine are the "clear to mid-brown" range. Pretty happy with them, and they respond pretty fast. No complaints.

Anyhoo, the fact mine are prescription is a 20-fold improvement. I am now seeing important trail detail much more clearly, and am no longer mistaking piles of dust swept up by other riders for solid berms when racing at night. Previously, my less than stellar distance vision resulted in some, erm, interesting offs when I was using those "clear as clear lenses in their clearest state", and while I'm sure those behind me on the track would disagree, I didn't think it was particularly amusing at the time :oops: :P :twisted: :lol:

I'm not sure what the girl in the pale blue knicks and nice perfume thought as she passed me about 5 or 6 times after I'd overtaken her, only to slide through a phantom berm, take a wrong turn or get stalled behind other riders bobbling on technical obstacles, but I'm sure it wasn't "wow, he's a skilled rider" :oops: :lol:

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:24 am

kokoman wrote:Never known transition or photo lenses to be as clear as clear lenses even in their clearest state. Just sayin..
True, but I've used the fade-to-clear (really a very slight tint, as you say) without dramas at night.

zebedee

Postby zebedee » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:30 am

trailgumby wrote:
kokoman wrote:for night riding, definitely clear. Photochromic lenses even at night are still slightly tinted.
Depends on the tint.

Mine are not. I use them for night mountain bike racing and they're great. They're also prescription. See the MyTinySun review - that's me in the photo.

They're Okaley Flaks. Not cheap.
got the same glasses. i have no issues with using them at night, they are not as clear non-transition but the difference is negligible and definitely not enough to go and buy two pairs of lens or glasses.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:51 pm

I have Rudy Project Rydon with both clear and grey ImpactX photochromic lenses. The clear lenses are quite clear in the dark, and lightly tinted in daylight. They are a little slow to react in the dappled light just after sunrise, but still better that than no eye protection at all.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:40 pm

RonK wrote:I have Rudy Project Rydon with both clear and grey ImpactX photochromic lenses. The clear lenses are quite clear in the dark, and lightly tinted in daylight. They are a little slow to react in the dappled light just after sunrise, but still better that than no eye protection at all.
I'm looking at getting the same, are they prescription, or do you know if the ImpactX can be?

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:24 pm

Red Rider wrote:
RonK wrote:I have Rudy Project Rydon with both clear and grey ImpactX photochromic lenses. The clear lenses are quite clear in the dark, and lightly tinted in daylight. They are a little slow to react in the dappled light just after sunrise, but still better that than no eye protection at all.
I'm looking at getting the same, are they prescription, or do you know if the ImpactX can be?
Yes, they can be - there are two options for the Rydon: Rx adaptor or direct in frame.
The Rx adaptor is a clip on and can be used behind any standard lenses. The direct inserts may be ImpactRx, photochromic and polarising if you prefer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:45 pm

jcjordan wrote:I love photocromatic lenses. My morning ride starts in the dark but as it brightens the glases adjust and keeps the glare down without having to stop and switch out.
Same here.

Andrew
Andrew

Nemesis034

Postby Nemesis034 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:21 am

jcjordan wrote:I love photocromatic lenses. My morning ride starts in the dark but as it brightens the glases adjust and keeps the glare down without having to stop and switch out.
Any idea where I can look for those without breaking the bank?
Is it any specific brand?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:32 am

See your optometrist. With hindsight, there will be cheaper options than my stoopidly expensive Flaks

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:40 am

Nemesis034 wrote:
Any idea where I can look for those without breaking the bank?
Is it any specific brand?
I have been a long time user of rudy projects with a RX adaptor and found the to be fantastic.
I have just recently got one to the lazer magneto's as I can now wear contacts again.

If you need and an adapter the go rudy otherwise try the magneto's
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:19 pm

RonK wrote:
Red Rider wrote:
Yes, they can be - there are two options for the Rydon: Rx adaptor or direct in frame.
The Rx adaptor is a clip on and can be used behind any standard lenses. The direct inserts may be ImpactRx, photochromic and polarising if you prefer.
Thanks RonK, I hear the direct in frame is the best solution for visibility.
Is that the site where you got yours from?

kokoman

Postby kokoman » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:39 pm

If you have a strong prescription or high levels of astigmatism, avoid the RX adapter

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:56 pm

FWIW, one of the roadies we got chatting with on our West Head Knobblies ride last weekend was asking about my Oakleys because he was unhappy with his Rx adapter glasses.

No direct experience myself, these are my first Rx glasses. However, I went in-frame because I was concerned about the sudden change going from Rx to non-Rx at the sides. Maybe less of an issue for road bike riding?

I have astigmatism, so prioritised distance vision for these glasses. Bifocals or graduated glasses aren't going to work so well for riding in my view. I will need (very soon!) a separate set of glasses for reading.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:46 pm

Red Rider wrote:Thanks RonK, I hear the direct in frame is the best solution for visibility.
Is that the site where you got yours from?
No - I got mine (2 pairs) from a UK merchant, Vision3K.com (they are not Rx) quite some time ago. I think local merchants are much more competitive now.