2012-2013 Perth Bicycle Network Local Government Grants

rolandp

2012-2013 Perth Bicycle Network Local Government Grants

Postby rolandp » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:44 pm

From Department of Transport:
The Perth Bicycle Network is a network of cycling routes comprising of on-road, path and end-of-trip infrastructure.
The PBN is coordinated by the Department of Transport and forms part of a strategic and integrated transport network being developed for our city, during this time of incredible growth.

The majority of the network belongs to Local Government, and grant funding can be obtained for local cycling infrastructure (or network planning) through the Department of Transport’s PBN Grants Program.

2012-13 Grants program
Successful grant applications in the 2012-13 PBN Grants program have been awarded.
A total of 37 projects (19 Local Governments) will be undertaken in the $2m program.

19.1km (14.2km paths and 4.9km bicycle lanes) of network infrastructure is being generated from the funding.

Awarded project details can be downloaded here.
These projects are required by a date this financial year (couldn't locate the exact one), so there isn't much time for them to be completed.

I've put this data into GoogleMaps:

I need your help to identify if the projects are complete, or to contact Local Government asking when they will be completed. Post to this forum and I will update the GoogleMap. Clicking on each item in the GoogleMap shows the Local Council and the work being undertaken.

Why is this important? Last year only $715K of $1M was awarded to completed projects. This means that $285K of grant money was not spent. As the grant money is awarded basically on a 1-1 basis (ie DoT matches $1 to the Local Government $1), this is in real terms a loss of $570K of budgeted funds not being spent on PBN grants.

If we do the sums for this year, and given previous trends, potentially $1,140K is not going to be spent on PBN funding of the $4M Budgeted funds (ie $2M from DoT and $2M from Local Government). Scary isn't it, and hence why it is important to ensure Local Government is going ahead with the PBN grants. $1,140K is roughly 11km of cycle paths assuming it takes around $100K per km to build.

kodakmomentz

Re: 2012-2013 Perth Bicycle Network Local Government Grants

Postby kodakmomentz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:27 pm

City of Armadale - $200537 - Status Unknown

I can confirm work has started on this. The first part from Armadale Road to Ranford Road is complete.
The section from Tonkin Highway to the end of Ranford Road is being done with the dual lane conversion (finally)

Looking forward to utilising this for my daily rides.

kodakmomentz

Postby kodakmomentz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:51 pm

City of Armadale - $133240 - Status Unknown

Path is 70% complete. The section that links the two green patches on the map is not completed.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:24 am

Map updated, thanks kodakmomentz.

City of Stirling started "Beach Road Shared Path, Carine - Okely Street to Duffy Road - south side - Install a 2m concrete shared path (length: 860m)" yesterday. Rough estimate, concrete laid for around 50% of the path, and earth works completed for another 100m. If only all projects could be undertaken in such quick time. Saying this though, I can't work out why this is required as there is already a shared path less than 1m away (at some points) at this location. City of Stirling local laws also required us to cycle at less than 10kph. I personally won't use this shared path, and stick to Beach Road as I do a little more than 10kph.

JBark

Postby JBark » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:35 am

City of South Perth - $76371 - Status Unknown

This one is in progress, though I can't say exactly how complete it is, since I don't know how much they're doing. It's really odd, since there's already a path right through there that I ride every day. In fact, they tore up the old path while putting in the new one, then went right back and repaved the old path. So maybe it's going to be separated bike an walking paths? That would be nice, since quite a few peds use that section, and about 99% of the dog owners never use a lead.

Here's a picture of new-old on the left next to new-new on the right:

JBark

Postby JBark » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:37 am

City of South Perth - $34060 - Status Unknown
Nothing here so far, hopefully this is to fix the nightmare that is the little section between the lights and Davilak. Current section is a major pain in the morning with the narrow path, blind entrance/exit, sharp turns and all the peds.

JBark

Postby JBark » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:02 pm

City of Cockburn - $75000 - Status Unknown
This is in progress, maybe even complete by now. Last I drove that way down North Lake they had quite a bit of it finished, and I rode the section around Tea Tree Close the other day.

embee8

Postby embee8 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:47 pm

JBark wrote:City of South Perth - $76371 - Status Unknown

This one is in progress, though I can't say exactly how complete it is, since I don't know how much they're doing. It's really odd, since there's already a path right through there that I ride every day. In fact, they tore up the old path while putting in the new one, then went right back and repaved the old path. So maybe it's going to be separated bike an walking paths? That would be nice, since quite a few peds use that section, and about 99% of the dog owners never use a lead.
From the City of South Perth Bicycle Plan 2012 - 2017, they have highlighted the importance of the Curtin Uni - Canning Bridge Transfer Station bicycle link. There's $125,000 for a bunch of projects including this one. The 3.5 m red asphalt path is for bikes only and the concrete one for peds. We will be installing a bike monitoring site (2 thin black strips and a cabinet beside the path) similar to the rest around Perth.

My guess is it will all be complete by late May.
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:17 am

jbark/embee8 - thanks for the updates.

This is good progress as around 25% of projects have been identified. Please take a moment to look at projects in your area, and let me know if you have seen then developed or not.

Stirling were at work again on the Beach Rd project, I just believe how quick this goes down, and why we aren't getting more cycling infrastructure installed if it is this quick. Below image shows the old shared path on the left, with the new shared path on the right. Really hope this is cycle only and we can ride more that 10kph:

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:52 am

Thanks for collating this Roland.

Both the Aberdeen & Stirling St bike lanes in the City of Perth have not been started.

embee8

Postby embee8 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:58 pm

rolandp wrote:jbark/embee8 - thanks for the updates.

This is good progress as around 25% of projects have been identified. Please take a moment to look at projects in your area, and let me know if you have seen then developed or not.

Stirling were at work again on the Beach Rd project, I just believe how quick this goes down, and why we aren't getting more cycling infrastructure installed if it is this quick. Below image shows the old shared path on the left, with the new shared path on the right. Really hope this is cycle only and we can ride more that 10kph:
Good point, rolandp, about how quickly these projects can be done. We are finding the DOT/Councils/MRWA are only now sorting out the funding needs for many projets, but need to have them accomplished this financial year. So, little is done for 9-10 months of the year and then an amazing flurry in May/June ! :roll:

Chrs,
em
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4

kodakmomentz

Postby kodakmomentz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:04 pm

kodakmomentz wrote:City of Armadale - $133240 - Status Unknown

Path is 70% complete. The section that links the two green patches on the map is not completed.
Now completed.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed May 01, 2013 8:26 am

Items updated, thanks for the feedback - we still have 25-off projects that need to be identified.

In relation to the Shared Path on Beach Road, the 860m of concrete has now been laid in less than one working week (impressive). A cut-out is required to be completed were the path intersects the car-park entrance as you get stuck in no-mans land if you do ride on this path, unless you are good at jumping curbs or you are OK with riding the wrong way down the car-park roads (wonder why this section wasn't completed first before the path was laid? Area has been marked in preparation for the cut-out). It also needs to have the legal markings installed to indicate it is a shared path (but hey, don't stress about this given the amount of PSP's that I ride on daily which fail on this point). Usage so far, 7 peds/1 cyclist last night on the new path, compared to 3 peds on the old path (very scientific measurement undertaken during my ride), with 3 of the peds taking up 90% of the width (ie keep to the left guys).

If you can review the list of government grants, and provide an update, I would be grateful.

JBark

Postby JBark » Wed May 01, 2013 11:38 am

JBark wrote:City of Cockburn - $75000 - Status Unknown
This is in progress, maybe even complete by now. Last I drove that way down North Lake they had quite a bit of it finished, and I rode the section around Tea Tree Close the other day.
As far as I can tell, this is done. I rode about half of it yesterday, and it looked like it was complete all the way up to Semple. Pretty poorly done, too. Big gaps between the sections of path, and the huge differences in height between driveways and the path make it very uneven. So pretty much unrideable at anything faster than about a jog.

But hey, I suppose its better than the crumbling footpath that was there before, and the red pavement does stand out a lot better.

JBark

Postby JBark » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:15 pm

JBark wrote:City of South Perth - $76371 - Status Unknown
This one is now complete, and quite possibly the most useless piece of cycling infrastructure I've ever seen. It actually makes the route worse for cyclists, and I don't think I'll ever use it, even though I ride through there 5 days a week. What a ridiculous waste of taxpayer funds.

Here's an overhead view of the new path location. I've draw the new path in reddish brown. You'll see that it both ends are T intersections with the existing shared path. So for someone like me who comes from the west on the current path and heads north on the current path, it absolutely worthless. In fact, taking it would add a bunch of 90 degree turns to my current ride. So far, I've seen multiple pedestrians using the bike only section, and not one bike on it.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:50 pm

JBark wrote:
JBark wrote:City of Cockburn - $75000 - Status Unknown
As far as I can tell, this is done. I rode about half of it yesterday, and it looked like it was complete all the way up to Semple. Pretty poorly done, too. Big gaps between the sections of path, and the huge differences in height between driveways and the path make it very uneven. So pretty much unrideable at anything faster than about a jog.

But hey, I suppose its better than the crumbling footpath that was there before, and the red pavement does stand out a lot better.

Yep it appeared done. I was down there at the doctors and could see it was complete to Semple.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:38 am

Thanks for the feedback and Google Map updated to reflect the latest status of these projects.

Any more? With just over two more weeks until the end of the financial year, I was hopeful that the majority of projects would be completed.

JBark

Postby JBark » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:45 am

rolandp wrote:Thanks for the feedback and Google Map updated to reflect the latest status of these projects.

Any more? With just over two more weeks until the end of the financial year, I was hopeful that the majority of projects would be completed.
Yeah, looks like they started work on the path near Canning Bridge yesterday. Luckily I think it's impossible to make that little stretch any worse than it already is, so should be a welcome change. :)

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:34 pm

City of Bayswater - $6900 - Status Unknown
Bardon Park Path Repairs, Maylands
Pump Station to 82m east of Pump Station
Repair compromised sections of path (length: 82m)
Grant - $6900

City of Bayswater - $74000 - Status Unknown
Lighting of Bardon Park Shared Path, Maylands
350m east of Pump Station to 16m west of Pump Station
Provide lighting to the recreational shared path (lighting length: 366m)

These appear to be done.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:57 pm

Thanks Jbark and blkmcs.

Still have 23 projects worth around $1m unknown, so we are half way.

The stats of projects identified are:
Complete - 9 projects - $562K
Unknown - 23 projects - $1.1M
Unstarted - 2 projects - $94K
In Progress - 2 projects - $230K

Total - 36 projects - $1.97M

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:57 am

It's a new financial year.

Did anymore of these local government projects get completed?

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:56 pm

Ton of Cambridge:
Brookdale Street Shared Path, Floreat
Alderbury Street to Oceanic Drive - west side
Install at 3m concrete shared path (length: 400m)
Grant - $25000

NearMap and Google Maps seem to show this is done - street view loooks like it as well. There's a substantial concrete path along the western side of Brookdale St from Alderbury to Oceanic. Google Street View even shows bike lanes marked on most of the road itself.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:22 am

Thanks for the feedback and have updated the Google map.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:10 am

Thanks for a couple of PM's, and in particular to BrownBike who had access to NearMaps. The data has been updated and the statistics are:
Complete - $1,467,817 (25 projects)
Unknown - $106,549 (5 projects)
Unstarted - $136, 381 (3 projects)
In Progress - $259,952 (3 projects)

Please review the projects, and if you spot anything that needs to be corrected let me know.

Otherwise, the data will be sent off to relevant parties for comment.

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:38 pm

If you're still updating, the Stirling St bike lanes from Newcastle to Roe are complete, although not red. But they do have have lovely green bike boxes.