New helmet law exemptions announced for Qld

The 2nd Womble

New helmet law exemptions announced for Qld

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:59 am

QLD Transport Minister Scott Emerson has just announced new helmet exemptions for those with religious head dress ie Sikhs.
Feel free to post links here as it hits the press during the course of today. The interview with the Transport Minister will be available on the ABC612 Brisbane website shortly. Head to the breakfast show with Spencer Howson for the link.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

The 2nd Womble

Re: New helmet law exemptions announced for Qld

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:04 am

http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2013 ... _breakfast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chooka

Postby Chooka » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:43 am

What would be the legalities of them entering a race? Would they still be exempt or would the race organizers be allowed to refuse entry? They can ride without being fined in religious headdress (with exemption) but I could be fined for not having an Australian Standards sticker on my helmet...
“If you don't have a plan, you become part of somebody else's plan.”
― Terence McKenna

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:08 am

Race rules still apply :)

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:02 pm

I believe in a free nation. I believe in freedom of religion. I also believe that those without religion should be as free as those with religion. It seems absurd to be making special exemptions for some religions.

The law is either a GOOD law and should be applicable for all. Or its a bad law and it shouldn't be there.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:10 pm

It feels strange to say this, but though I don't want the MHL repealed, I agree with you, when you boil it down, this is actually discriminatory. So Person A can ride without a helmet because they belong to a particular faith, but if Person B is of a different faith or no faith, they are forced to do so? If it was the other way round there would be outrage.
Last edited by ldrcycles on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:25 pm

ldrcycles wrote:It feels strange to say this, but though I don't want the MHL repealed, I agree with you, when you boil it down, this is actually discriminatory. So Person A can ride a helmet because they belong to a particular faith, but if Person B is of a different faith or no faith, they are forced to do so? If it was the other way round there would be outrage.
+1

It's very contradictory.

Easy solution. Start your own cult.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Mods, I feel a discrimination attack coming on very soon.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:36 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Mods, I feel a discrimination attack coming on very soon.
No GM, don't do it!

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:19 pm

I'm not going to do anything, Womble Squared, I fear someone else might though. Personally, I don't give a damn what people do or don't wear. They can ride shoeless in their birthday suits for all I care.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:23 pm

human909 wrote:I believe in a free nation. I believe in freedom of religion. I also believe that those without religion should be as free as those with religion. It seems absurd to be making special exemptions for some religions.
Yes, Sikhs have to bind their head for religion and so can you, with a helmet. Equality! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

LM324

Postby LM324 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:17 pm

ldrcycles wrote:It feels strange to say this, but though I don't want the MHL repealed, I agree with you, when you boil it down, this is actually discriminatory. So Person A can ride a helmet because they belong to a particular faith, but if Person B is of a different faith or no faith, they are forced to do so? If it was the other way round there would be outrage.
While I agree with you, does a helmet even fit over a turban?

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:32 pm

If I was a Sikh cyclist who suffered a brain injury because of a car hitting me, I'd sue Big Brother for valuing my brain less than others.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:00 pm

Delayed April fools joke?

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:25 pm

I think there's a photo of a dude wearing a turbin under a helmet on Audax's home page. You can get turbin helmets in the UK anyway no joke. Surly their religious requirements can be satisfied without compromising on saftey.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:33 pm

thecaptn wrote:You can get turbin helmets in the UK anyway no joke

Disclaimer: This information may not be entirely acurate.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:17 pm

We went through all this back in the 70's in the UK with motorcycle helmets. Much noise and upset but the Sikh community won the day BUT what basically panned out was that if you took the religious route and did not wear a helmet and suffered injuries you were on your own, contributory neg and the insurers did not want to know. You could not race motorbikes without a helmet and I had a couple of Sikh friends who raced who wore some sort of head covering under the helmet and had a dispensation from their holy man. Maybe they weren't that strict? Dunno, but IMHO this is not a good thing, it just shows that bike helmets are not taken seriously by 'them in command'
Cheers
Richard

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:19 pm

what I really want to know, is why are so many kids riding without a Helmet . I am noticing more and more kids with out them. I am also sure they are not
Sikh as there was no turbans in sight
gorilla monsoon wrote:I'm not going to do anything, Womble Squared, I fear someone else might though. Personally, I don't give a damn what people do or don't wear. They can ride shoeless in their birthday suits for all I care.
So true, I don't give a S*&t either but I just don't like seeing it.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Walst

Postby Walst » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:04 pm

Personally welcome the move, but thinking in terms of cycling advocacy, not in terms of what's "fair".

The Sikh community is not huge (72,000 according to the wiki) but they will no doubt grow in size and clout. If cycling is an inaccessible to them, we cut off an entire social community who would otherwise be able to lend extra political weight to cycling interests.

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:12 pm

I think that when you start to see the courts making exceptions to helmet laws for religious reasons then it belies the fact that the law isn't really necessary doesn't achieve much and will be made less relevant by the ruling. Next no motorcycle helmets for Sikhs. Then no helmets for outlaw motorcycle gangs who will all convert from Islam etc.

I wear a helmet when I want to but not to go to the shops and stuff where its a nuisance just a turban would be more of a damn nuisance to me.

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:15 pm

jonbays wrote: I wear a helmet when I want to but not to go to the shops and stuff where its a nuisance just a turban would be more of a damn nuisance to me.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes it would take forever to put on :roll: the shops would be closed by the time you wrap that thing on
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:29 pm

First it was exemption from taxation (for organised religions) and now helmet wearing, what next?

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:29 pm

What do you think guys, shall I start a business selling Thuban or whatever friendly helmet?

TBH, I wear helmet for my own safety. I have like 12 of them.

I remembet, one day, on my commute to work, I forget to wear helmet. Midway to the office, I noticed it and starts walking not riding. Not fun but this is me!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:39 pm

Walst wrote:Personally welcome the move, but thinking in terms of cycling advocacy, not in terms of what's "fair".

The Sikh community is not huge (72,000 according to the wiki) but they will no doubt grow in size and clout. If cycling is an inaccessible to them, we cut off an entire social community who would otherwise be able to lend extra political weight to cycling interests.
If we were thinking about cycling advocacy then why are we making cycling inaccessible to a much larger proportions of Australia by having mandatory helmet laws. The fact of the matter is that mandatory helmet laws have had the single BIGGEST impact on cycling numbers since the introduction of the automobile.

The one thing you Sydneysiders do have up north is coppers that don't care about cyclists not wearing helmets. So you effectively have SOME choice. Here in Victoria they'll chase you down if they spot you. !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! I even had some idiot coppers chastise me for not having it on when I was stopped in a Suburban side street checking my phone messages. :roll:

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:33 am

human909 wrote:The fact of the matter is that mandatory helmet laws have had the single BIGGEST impact on cycling numbers since the introduction of the automobile.
I think there is another thread for the anti-helmet debate, human909.

...even if this one is an article of faith :P