Looking for idea re: space for light and bell

kimmie

Looking for idea re: space for light and bell

Postby kimmie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:08 am

Hi guys,

I am looking for an idea of how to mount a bell and a light on my 'very limited space' handlebar. I have only approximately 1.5 cm space on each side of my stem. Have used one side for my 'Garmin out front' mount, so only left a 1.5cm space for both items above.

Was trying to mount my light on my stem, but it was waay to high...

Anyone care to share his/her idea and/or handlebar photo to give me some idea, please? Happy to buy a new light that will fit my handle bar.

Thanks
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"

Nobody

Re: Looking for idea re: space for light and bell

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:23 am

Assuming it is a drop bar, get a flexible mounted bell and mount it over the bar tape just under the brifter so you can use it with your thumb while on the hoods. Works for me.
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=96020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the light mount, there are many options to explore. Have a look at some options below.
http://problemsolversbike.com/products/ ... ght_mounts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:49 am

Helmet mounted light.

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:13 am

You could try one of those mount extenders, and mount the light under the stem.

ray

Postby ray » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:41 am

My favourite is the headset bell: http://www.mirrycle.com/headset_mount.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With 38cm bars I barley have enough room for a light and space for a camera when commuting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. All errors due to fat fingers and autocorrect.

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:59 am

VRE and nobody: thanks for the ideas! I like the idea of having a handlebar mount extender. Do you know where I can buy that online locally in Australia? (not from overseas)?

lump_a_charcoal: brilliant idea re: helmet mounted light! Never really think about it before! Will probably do that for the light. Thanks.

ray: Do you use that one too? is it not difficult to ring the bell?

cheers all - any other ideas, please keep them coming! :-)

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:54 am

I recommend the Exposure Joystick FYI.

ray

Postby ray » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:11 am

kimmie wrote:VRE and nobody: thanks for the ideas! I like the idea of having a handlebar mount extender. Do you know where I can buy that online locally in Australia? (not from overseas)?

lump_a_charcoal: brilliant idea re: helmet mounted light! Never really think about it before! Will probably do that for the light. Thanks.

ray: Do you use that one too? is it not difficult to ring the bell?

cheers all - any other ideas, please keep them coming! :-)
Kimmie, I do use it. I have been using it for over a year or so now (and ordered a few more for my recent bike purchases). I have it placed under the stem so when I'm on the flats (have dropbar) I just ring the bell by flicking my thumb. Generally when it comes to bell ringing I'm already cautious and slowing down anyway so will have one hand on the hoods and the other on the flats to ring the bell.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:16 pm

do you use all of the handlebar tops?

if not, maybe try cutting the tape a little shorter to give you some extra room to mount?

rjk

Postby rjk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:21 pm

i mounted my bell on the seat stem, i am legal and it looks funny when i ring my bell...lol
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:18 pm

jaseyjase wrote:do you use all of the handlebar tops?

if not, maybe try cutting the tape a little shorter to give you some extra room to mount?
The 'tubular' shape of my bar was just 2.00cm on eeach side of my stem, the rest of them were oval-shaped... I hope I am making sense... :?

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:27 pm

ah gotcha, 'aero' tops on the bars.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:35 pm

'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

kb

Postby kb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:55 pm

Anyone tried a bar end bell? I like the idea but not sure on practicality.

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:22 pm

kimmie wrote:
jaseyjase wrote:do you use all of the handlebar tops?

The 'tubular' shape of my bar was just 2.00cm on eeach side of my stem, the rest of them were oval-shaped... I hope I am making sense... :?
jaseyjase wrote:ah gotcha, 'aero' tops on the bars.
I have the same type of handlebars on my 15kg Vivente tourer, with the limitation on what types of mounts you can then use. Aero handlebars on a 15kg tourer - someone really thought long and hard to come up with such a dumb idea! :lol:

scotto

Postby scotto » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:30 pm

I mount my lights ( ay ups) under , rather than above the stem. As for a bell , straight in the bin.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:17 pm

I bought a tiny little brass bell back from taiwan that either attaches to your hoods or to one of your cables or anything else around that diameter that you can clamp onto for that matter. I thought it was awesome and was thinking of importing some but wasn't sure if everyone else would think they were so cool.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:49 pm

jacks1071 wrote:I bought a tiny little brass bell back from taiwan that either attaches to your hoods or to one of your cables or anything else around that diameter that you can clamp onto for that matter. I thought it was awesome and was thinking of importing some but wasn't sure if everyone else would think they were so cool.
Gotta link Deon?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:09 pm

Up-side-down mounting can potentially be an option - a light with a silicon strap or O-Ring can fit up-side-down directly under or next to another mount.
Cycling is in my BNA

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:43 pm

Or this little gadget could work for you. http://www.topeak.com/products/Xtras/BarXtender

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:42 am

I've managed to squeeze an exposure light, Contour camera, Garmin 500 & a bell very close to the stem (photo below). The main challenge is cable length & placement which needed a fair bit of manipulation to make it work.

The K-edge mount is very thin as is the Exposure light mount which I've very easily adapted to take the camera as well.

Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

ray

Postby ray » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:38 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:I've managed to squeeze an exposure light, Contour camera, Garmin 500 & a bell very close to the stem (photo below). The main challenge is cable length & placement which needed a fair bit of manipulation to make it work.

The K-edge mount is very thin as is the Exposure light mount which I've very easily adapted to take the camera as well.
Like the way you mounted the contour. I might try the same with mine and rotate the camera mount to under the bar. Here is my handle bar (38cm 3t ergonova so 36cm at the hoods) so space is at a premium:

Headset bell mounted under the stem: