Degani Arthurs Seat Ride 2013

clackers

Degani Arthurs Seat Ride 2013

Postby clackers » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:58 am

Anyone else doing this on Saturday? The email said only 300 participants at one point last week - one of them not being Robbie McEwan, who's going to be overseas.

BianchiCam

Re: Degani Arthurs Seat Ride 2013

Postby BianchiCam » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm in for the 65km loop. Yep, they said that numbers are down on last year. Don't know why as its going to be a nice day and a good chance to ride with others in an organized event.
Hadn't seen much promotion done on it.
Bought a wind vest for only 15$? Which is good and you get a pair of sunnies as well included.
Win win. They time you up Arthur's Seat too.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:39 pm

I've enjoyed every ride I've ever done on the Peninsula - always worth the drive.

I've only ever descended the Dromana side of Arthurs Seat, so this will be an experience. I'm in the 113km, and yes, the prediction is for 24 degrees. Can't wait.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:00 am

Yep, doing the 113 km route, which means doing Arthurs Seat from both sides, both of which will be a first for me. No driving for me though, training down to Frankston Station then riding to the start (Olivers Hill is always a nice little warm up!)

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:58 am

Via the Nepean? The coastal road at Mt Maratha was blocked last time I was there.

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:36 am

Just an FYI ... the Esplanade re-opened a few months back.

Matt

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:36 am

Just back from the 65km loop and apart from the strong headwind heading back to Morno, it was a great ride. Interesting to see what my time is on Arthur's Seat as I canned it up there using the whole road for a change. I was over the line first by a big margin too which is a surprise. Can't understand why numbers were down as its a great event. Maybe something else is happening this weekend?
Kudos to all involved. My first organized ride to boot!

Cam

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:12 pm

The headwind was a killer - made the last 50 km (of the 113) feel like double that. Some of the guys & gals doing the 65 km loop looked like they were truly struggling with it - no doubt they thought we were just breezing past, but there was no ignoring it. Other than that, as you said, great ride - was pretty surprised how easy the back route of Arthur's Seat is, got to the top before I even felt like we'd started climbing seriously. The front route wasn't as bad as I expected either despite dropping my chain at one point (I could swear I had just one more gear...) and having to ride around in a loop to get it back on again. Pity we didn't get to descend down there though - looked like it'd be a sweet drop with closed roads. Was able to find someone to share rotations with for most of the ride, which definitely helped.

I guess they don't have all the results in yet as it's currently saying I was #3 up Arthur's Seat - which given the chain drop is almost certainly wrong. Not sure if they're going to release overall times.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:25 pm

Climb results are up.
I did it in 12min 25 seconds which for me is a result. Normally do it at 18mins!

Riding home from the park with the wind behind was soooooo sweet! Almost still. Seeing the faces of those still completing was painful though.

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:26 pm

Matt_Matt wrote:Just an FYI ... the Esplanade re-opened a few months back.
Thanks, Matt, nice to know!

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:39 pm

18 minutes up to the summit for me. Because of my age/weight/experience combo I had the HRM on to make sure I did it evenly, only coming out of the saddle for the corners.

And yes, the northerlies made the finishing ride over Mt Martha more unpleasant than the two Arthurs Seat ascents.

It was a pretty serious group of riders - no one trying it in a gorilla suit on a BMX. But a disturbingly small group. Degani and the organizers might have taken a hit on the day, which is a shame because the Kinglake event is also having a rough trot and is being moved to later in the year.

I hope I'm wrong, because these are events I'd do again at some time.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri May 03, 2013 11:16 am

Read in the paper that the guy sending the emails to us, Olympian John Trevorrow, was diagnosed with the Big C recently. He got a message of support from one Lance Armstrong. The day was really well organized, hope things turn out okay for him.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:50 am

clackers wrote:Read in the paper that the guy sending the emails to us, Olympian John Trevorrow, was diagnosed with the Big C recently. He got a message of support from one Lance Armstrong. The day was really well organized, hope things turn out okay for him.
+1. John's a really great bloke and has been in many cycling related roles over the years.
I really hope things turn out alright for him!!