Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.....

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.....

Postby rheicel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:33 am

Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they notice me, or just avoid shared path?

I was in a good mood this morning to start with, planning to go out and do at least 50 km cycling. While I was in the Artarmon shared path I noticed theres a lot of pedestrian walking. This leads me to decrease my speed to about 15-20 kph.

The first batch I encounter was a bunch of dudes mix of middle age guys and some teenies. I sounded my bell politely, as they are occupying both lane of the the shared path. While they gave some room for me to pass them, I heard some background trash talk ...something like that bell is really annoying. I was in a good mood, had only done about 8 km, so I pretend I did not hear that.

The second batch were conscious, a family (husband/wife/baby/4-6yo boy in a kids bike ) in single line on the left side and they saw me before I even saw them. I greeted them Good Morning and the young boy greeted back. This group is really encouraging and cancels out my first encounter above. :D

Still in a good mood, I met the third group. Two mommies, one granny, and 2 babies in a pram. They are obviously chatting while walking, thinking they own the shared path. I reduced my speed so that I can just stay at their back, thinking that if they notice me, they will give me some space to pass them. After a couple of metres following them, they heard my freewheel noise and started giving space for me to pass. The only problem is that one of the mommy started shouting at me, "WHERE IS YOUR BELL?", YOU SHOULD RING YOUR BELL!, BLAH bLAH BLAH!

After that, I thought I am not having a good morning, decided to ride on the road, go up to Chatswood, Lane Cove National Park and head back home completing only 23km and not even half of what I am intending to do. Sigh!

I just don't know what to do with some pedestrians. I am riding alone, how much more if they see a group of at least 8/10 riders passing them. Anyway, happy Anzac day to all!
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

by BNA » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:11 am

BNA
 

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby Hergest » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:11 am

Just ring your bell, that's what it's for. If someone gives you grief once you've gone past, well bugger 'em.
2013 Lynskey R230. 2001 Lemond Buenos Aires.
Hergest
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Guildford West, NSW

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby find_bruce » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:24 am

I found gently tapping ipeds on the shoulder got my pointy across very effectively
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:36 am

Please refer 'to ding or not to ding' very long thread.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2287
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:18 pm

On the occasion I get similar grief, I just reply with the dismissive "Damned if I do, Damned if don't" and leave it at that.
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
User avatar
HappyHumber
 
Posts: 4175
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:48 pm
Location: Perth, (S.o.R.) W.A.

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby roller » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:31 pm

rheicel wrote:After that, I thought I am not having a good morning, decided to ride on the road, go up to Chatswood, Lane Cove National Park and head back home completing only 23km and not even half of what I am intending to do. Sigh!


fragile work ethic, on anzac day too, i bet some of the soldiers landing on gallipoli would have liked to have gone home after being met with bullets and the occasional grenade. :roll:



:mrgreen: j/k.
Image
User avatar
roller
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: embleton

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby warthog1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:32 pm

rheicel wrote: just avoid shared path?


If it is possible to avoid it then that is your solution I reckon.
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2845
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:03 pm

I call out riders and thank them for moving if they do so.
Marty Moose
 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: W.A

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:34 pm

Would you rather I sound my air horn. I'll stop and let you get 50m infront then blast it. Ride back up and then get your opinion, bell or horn :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby TTar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:40 pm

find_bruce wrote:I found gently tapping ipeds on the shoulder got my pointy across very effectively


That sounds like fun, but could end badly for the rider if the iPed's psycho or litigious.

I've taken to sounding the valve from a rubber chicken squeeze toy as a last resort -- it expresses duck more than chicken and seems to penetrate. My theory is the iPeds, however deeply they're buried under their noise, do hear the bell, but just dismiss it as part of the music. A quacking duck sound-effect would be a rarity on the youngsters' playlists, I imagine.

I've had cause to deploy it only twice so far and it's proven a most entertaining iPed Clearance Device. It'll be even better when I perfect the art of acting like we've just been swooped by a loopy duck.
Sent from my fortified compound
TTar
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Just shout NO BRAKKKEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS LOOOOOOOK OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT! That'll get them to move out of your way :)

Another option is to buy some small speakers and play the Jaws music louder and louder as you get closer and closer :twisted: :twisted: Either that or some Wagner as you form attack formation :lol: :lol:
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby rheicel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:21 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Just shout NO BRAKKKEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS LOOOOOOOK OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT! That'll get them to move out of your way :)

Another option is to buy some small speakers and play the Jaws music louder and louder as you get closer and closer :twisted: :twisted: Either that or some Wagner as you form attack formation :lol: :lol:

Good idea, thanks.
I wonder if there are available bicycle bells or horns that will set the mood of the pedestrians to a good mode! Same like a hypnotising machine!
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby wombatK » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:14 pm

Lukeyboy wrote: Either that or some Wagner as you form attack formation :lol: :lol:

You mean like

I like where your head is at, but think you'd need to have a squadron of 8 or 9 cyclists
for the trick to work...
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:14 pm

rheicel wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Just shout NO BRAKKKEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS LOOOOOOOK OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT! That'll get them to move out of your way :)

Another option is to buy some small speakers and play the Jaws music louder and louder as you get closer and closer :twisted: :twisted: Either that or some Wagner as you form attack formation :lol: :lol:

Good idea, thanks.
I wonder if there are available bicycle bells or horns that will set the mood of the pedestrians to a good mode! Same like a hypnotising machine!


Try one of THESE, you can youtube it for the sound.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25815
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby rheicel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:19 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
rheicel wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Just shout NO BRAKKKEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS LOOOOOOOK OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT! That'll get them to move out of your way :)

Another option is to buy some small speakers and play the Jaws music louder and louder as you get closer and closer :twisted: :twisted: Either that or some Wagner as you form attack formation :lol: :lol:

Good idea, thanks.
I wonder if there are available bicycle bells or horns that will set the mood of the pedestrians to a good mode! Same like a hypnotising machine!


Try one of THESE, you can youtube it for the sound.

Nice find.... Would be good to know how to keep it handy while cycling. I have seen the youtube video, sounds like a police, lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby wombatK » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:28 pm

rheicel wrote:Nice find.... Would be good to know how to keep it handy while cycling.

And even better to know how to spit it out quickly enough when you
face plant because the peds jumped the wrong way :) :)
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:32 pm

rheicel wrote:Nice find.... Would be good to know how to keep it handy while cycling. I have seen the youtube video, sounds like a police, lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Image
One of these hooked to the shoulder strap of the backpack. Easy to grab and impossible to drop. In known zomped spots like say... anywhere in Melbs CBD, I usually have it ready for instant use. You can get lots of different sounds out them with practice but the full blast scream is always the attention getter.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25815
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby trailgumby » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:57 pm

Great find, MB. The reaction would be priceless :lol:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10309
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby g-boaf » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:06 am

rheicel wrote:Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they notice me, or just avoid shared path?

I was in a good mood this morning to start with, planning to go out and do at least 50 km cycling. While I was in the Artarmon shared path I noticed theres a lot of pedestrian walking. This leads me to decrease my speed to about 15-20 kph.

The first batch I encounter was a bunch of dudes mix of middle age guys and some teenies. I sounded my bell politely, as they are occupying both lane of the the shared path. While they gave some room for me to pass them, I heard some background trash talk ...something like that bell is really annoying. I was in a good mood, had only done about 8 km, so I pretend I did not hear that.

The second batch were conscious, a family (husband/wife/baby/4-6yo boy in a kids bike ) in single line on the left side and they saw me before I even saw them. I greeted them Good Morning and the young boy greeted back. This group is really encouraging and cancels out my first encounter above. :D

Still in a good mood, I met the third group. Two mommies, one granny, and 2 babies in a pram. They are obviously chatting while walking, thinking they own the shared path. I reduced my speed so that I can just stay at their back, thinking that if they notice me, they will give me some space to pass them. After a couple of metres following them, they heard my freewheel noise and started giving space for me to pass. The only problem is that one of the mommy started shouting at me, "WHERE IS YOUR BELL?", YOU SHOULD RING YOUR BELL!, BLAH bLAH BLAH!

After that, I thought I am not having a good morning, decided to ride on the road, go up to Chatswood, Lane Cove National Park and head back home completing only 23km and not even half of what I am intending to do. Sigh!

I just don't know what to do with some pedestrians. I am riding alone, how much more if they see a group of at least 8/10 riders passing them. Anyway, happy Anzac day to all!


You are actually supposed to get off your bike and go past them on foot. If they are runners or fast walkers, you'll need to run so you get far enough ahead of them so they can't overtake you again.

And while doing that, you must not unreasonably block them, as they have right of way to do as they want! :twisted:

Otherwise - you might get some speakers and play the opening of Orff's Carmina Burana - O Fortuna...
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 4054
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby high_tea » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:31 am

Sigh. Cyclists must give way to pedestrians. Pedestrians must not unreasonably obstruct, well, anybody. Oh, and cyclists must not cause a traffic hazard by moving into the path of a driver or pedestrian. That's the legal situation, roughly speaking. How it follows from this that pedestrians have "right of way to do as they want" is beyond me.

To the OP: It is my experience, too, that pleasing everybody you come across is basically impossible. I will mention that squealing brakes are good for focussing pedestrians' minds.

Oh, and if I had to choose music, it would be "For Whom the Bell Tolls". My highbrow pick would be the 1812 Overture. The bit with the artillery, natch :twisted:
high_tea
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby rheicel » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:25 am

high_tea wrote:Sigh. Cyclists must give way to pedestrians. Pedestrians must not unreasonably obstruct, well, anybody. Oh, and cyclists must not cause a traffic hazard by moving into the path of a driver or pedestrian. That's the legal situation, roughly speaking. How it follows from this that pedestrians have "right of way to do as they want" is beyond me.

To the OP: It is my experience, too, that pleasing everybody you come across is basically impossible. I will mention that squealing brakes are good for focussing pedestrians' minds.

Oh, and if I had to choose music, it would be "For Whom the Bell Tolls". My highbrow pick would be the 1812 Overture. The bit with the artillery, natch :twisted:

Yeah you are right, it is always going to be hard to please everybody. Why can't all people be cyclist!
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby Walst » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:55 am

HappyHumber wrote:On the occasion I get similar grief, I just reply with the dismissive "Damned if I do, Damned if don't" and leave it at that.


That's my attitude too.

Comments and verbal abuse are the least of my worries on a commute.

In the OP's situation I'd probably give a cheeky ding-ding after receiving the expert advice. :D
Walst
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 12:06 am

Re: Shall I sound my bell, shout, wait patiently 'till they.

Postby rheicel » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys! I've decided I will just keep on using my bell and if they get annoyed by it, I will just pretend I never hear them (which is most of the time, hard!)
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney


Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mikesbytes, Wakatuki



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit