Penrith to Katoomba on a Saturday morning?

victorhooi

Penrith to Katoomba on a Saturday morning?

Postby victorhooi » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:03 am

Hi,

I'm planning on riding up to Katoomba next weekend (Saturday).

I'm coming from Baulkham Hills, but I'm thinking of catching a train to Penrith, and starting the ride from there

Start time from Penrith will probably be around 06:30.
  • Has anybody done this ride recently?
  • What sort of travel times are we looking at? I'm a moderately fit cyclist.
  • What are the road conditions like? I'm coming on a road bike, so I'm hoping to stick to the roads if I can - but I'm not sure how feasible that is?
  • Anybody seen what traffic's like early on a Saturday morning on that route?
I know there seem to be permanent roadworks on the Great Western Highway (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadprojects/ ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), but I'm hoping that things have improved since last time I was up there.

Cheers,
Victor

ofb_one

Re: Penrith to Katoomba on a Saturday morning?

Postby ofb_one » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:10 pm

A couple of mates and i did the ride from Emu Plains a few weeks ago. its a really great ride that can be done avoiding the highway for most of the route. We only really did Lapstone hill and a section between Faulconbridge and Woodford on the highway - the side roads were spectacular. see the links at http://www.cycleaustralia.info/sydney_files/west.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for details. Have fun with the ride :)

RideLikeTheWind

Re: Penrith to Katoomba on a Saturday morning?

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:24 pm

If you're ever keen on doing this again PM me and I'll make the trip with you from Penrith - I live just near there and am keen to do the ride - give me 2-4 weeks to get back in the swing of things as I am off on holidays.

Joe