29ers

gsxrboy

29ers

Postby gsxrboy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:32 pm

I haven't seen much chat around these parts about 29ers so I thought I would get a bit of discussion going. The local sales bring a Specialized http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=34097 down to under 9dreds. While it doesn't have the mago gear of say a Avanti http://www.avantibikes.com/pro-mtb/aggr ... spx?bid=72 , or a Gary Fisher, it is lots cheaper, obviously. My current MTB which is hanging doing nothing is a Boulder SE, so even a Rockhopper should be a decent enough step up.

I gave one a bit of a spin today and the big wheels do feel a whole heap different from a 26 (and from my OCRC3 :P ). The frame was too big so I am trying to get a ride on a smaller jobbie.

My dirt riding would just be track and trails, no real down hill or anything too hardcore, my bones might break into a bazillion bits otherwise :P

Anyhoo, apart from some general comments on the suitability of 29ers for this kind of duty, lets hear and see some of your guy/gals 29ers and your stories on how they ride and all that. Keep 'em rollin big style :P

I so have no gansta talk street cred !

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:57 pm

I don't own one, so my opinion is pretty much worthless. I have ridden with a few guys who own them, so I asked them a few questions while I had the chance. I'll pass their wisdom on.

Firstly, they all said it's not a cure for any riding skill deficiencies. You still need to throw the bike around and climb those hills.

They said the ride was smoother, due to the larger wheel diameter. That also had other implications: the speed profile is different. You enter and leave corners faster (which helps offset the acceleration loss with the higher rolling mass), but you get more grip with the longer contact patch.

Frame geometry can be an issue for smaller frames. Toe strike was a problem for one rider.

Tyre choice is smaller.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

theMISSIONARY

Postby theMISSIONARY » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:57 pm

Ive been thinking about the 29'er myself.....anyone know what sort of price the rockhopper is?

ive been going back to riding my hard tail the duelie is just to hard on the hills

8)

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:37 pm

Got mine on sale for $840 inc cage & bottle. Retail is $1200 + bits.

They are run out around these parts and a new model will turn up sooner or later and back to the full price I'd imagine.

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:50 pm

With that geometry, it looks like a dirt jumper rather than a XC.

Hydro or cable disc?

theMISSIONARY

Postby theMISSIONARY » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:26 pm

thanks for that gsxrboy 8)

looks neet is it a small frame?

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:43 pm

Yeah, size 17 frame, I am a short arse at 5'6" !

j.r. , it's cable Avid BB 5's, the componentry on the bike is all pretty basic. I was just looking on ebay at the Sram x.9 stuff to maybe upgrade one day. All the reviews say the frame is top notch with the bits lower spec to get the pricing down.

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:16 pm

Just got some ebay x.7 shifters and a x.9 rear for $105 landed, new bling for Daisy ! *waits for the stuff to turn up*

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:55 pm

Bits have arrived, install job on the weekend I think.. wooo srammy goodness !

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:48 pm

I was mainly looking at the height of the bars above the seat. For XC/trail the bars are usually level with or slightly below saddle height.

Will be interesting to hear of your experiences. A lot of the commentary on 29ers is that they suit taller riders (like me, 6'1") and are perhaps a bit harder for smaller-framed riders to chuck around on the technical stuff? They ride the bumpos better, keep their momentum and smooth out trail chatter, but are a bit less responsive on acceleration and direction change. Anyway, that's all hearsay - I've never ridden one myself.

I hear good things about the Avid BB cable brakes. I do like my hydraulics, though. 8)

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:48 pm

Shush, I don't want to think about hydraulics yet :P Already looking at ebay cranksets as well :) (p.s. any recommendations on what would be a decent swap out?)

I installed the Sram stuff and got it all working pretty sweet, (surprisingly !!!! first time changing out a derailleur and all), and it def goes a fair bit nicer on the rear hanger.

I haven't noticed much positioning wise that is detrimental, in fact when I lined it up next to the old boulder, the drop to the bars was actually lower. When my shoes and pedals turn up the seat might need to go up a tad as well so that might help with what you are mentioning. There is also three spacers on the neck so I could always experiment with dropping the bars down a little that way (and try not to impale myself on any exposed stem :-P

I am not a super hardcore mtb rider so any shortcomings in a 29er potentially not being wonderful for short arses like me might not even be noticed handling wise. I probably do notice a little slower acceleration but that isn't to be unexpected with the tractor tyres :D

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:05 am

Any issues with 'toe-overlap' at slower, technical speeds with 'shorter' riders? The 29" riders I know of are of a 'taller disposition' (I'm 173cm/5'8")

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:17 pm

gsxrboy wrote:I am not a super hardcore mtb rider so any shortcomings in a 29er potentially not being wonderful for short arses like me might not even be noticed handling wise. I probably do notice a little slower acceleration but that isn't to be unexpected with the tractor tyres :D
I'm the same - I fall off too often and end up having to take enforced breaks as a result. :oops: :lol:

But I have aspirations! Once i get my postural imbalances and current spinal injury sorted out (unrelated to cycling) I'd like to do an enduro. An mtb skills course is in order first, though.

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:32 pm

kuka, in the few rides I have done I have only touched once doing a little doing a low speed u-turn, but I have done that on my roadie as well, so I just remember to make feet positioning a thought when I am going to do one. For me I really don't think it's going to be an issue at all in normal riding (and hasn't been so far).. maybe little feet help with that too :P

jr, as I am edging towards 40 I want to improve my riding and body so I probably wimp out a little when I could go harder and trust in the bike and myself. Perhaps more riding and confidence in 'future' abilities will let me go a little more nuts and be more carefree and worry about breakages less :P

I was going to go for a ride today to spin through the new bits, (nice weather today), but my back was a little ginger after moving around a cabinet last night so I erred on the side of caution.

Even if you are of less than altitude dizzy statue, a ride on 29er should be given a go when you get a chance to see what you all think, even if to just try something new!

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:41 pm

You might want to try clipless pedals soonish.

I find on the techy bits that - contrary to what you'd expect - they are more of a help than a fear-inducer. Over the bumpy downhill bits I have no worries about my feet rattling off the pedals, and on the techy uphill bits I can maintain a more even pedal stroke which means I'm more planted and less likely to spin. I have them set on close to minimum tension so bailing out is never a problem. For you they'd prevent any risk of toe overlap too.

I just gotta remember to stay off the front brake through the rock gardens. :oops:

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:58 pm

Shoes and pedals were ordered last Friday :wink:

Need to get some new pedals for the roadie now to match so I can run same shoes on both rather than swapping to road shoes when I could just run the casual mtb shoes.

*reminds self to hunt down the cleats I hopefully kept in the shoe box*

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:56 pm

I've got a spare pair of SPD cleats somewhere if you want them (special price of $0). They came attached to my Specialized shoes and I use Eggbeater pedals.

Cheers,
Graeme

(I'm away until next Tuesday, so you'll have to wait if you do want them.)
---------------------

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:10 pm

I managed to find the ones that came with my shoes, so unless the mtb shoe/pedal combo does'nt come with them then I should* be otay, but thanks for the offer so far !

*pending checking this when it turns up

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:23 pm

I'm all over the 29er thing.

I've got a Voodoo Dambala which I love, take it off road as often as possible.
Definitly rolls over the rough stuff better than my compadres on their 26" rides.
It's a long way down though when it goes pear shaped.
I work in Sydney and Canberra and take my bike with me if anyone's keen for a ride, let me know!
Image[/img]
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:10 pm

Hi Gerard

She's purdy.

Are you taller (i.e over 6 foot)? I always feel like a backside on a pimple with a 26".

I've been looking around but most of the LBS' handy to me will only "get them in" which makes it difficult to have a run on one.

Anyone in Perth know which shops carries a few of these in XL/XXL frames?

RB
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:36 pm

Hawkeye wrote:I was mainly looking at the height of the bars above the seat. For XC/trail the bars are usually level with or slightly below saddle height.
Before the last ride I had a bit of set up time, the bars have dropped down to the bottom and the seat is a leeeetle higher. Clipless pedals are working a treat and with smarts from Kal, tyre pressures are ticketty bo too!

G'2000,

Looks great mate :D

snake

Postby snake » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:13 pm

I just bought myself the rockhopper 29er. Very nice bike, feels much nicer than riding a 26 style.

Anyways just one question. Does anyone have any problems with there disc brakes. Mine seem abosolutely shocking. Wont even lock up on grass!. So is there any tips on how to make them better?

Also anyone asking about the sizes of them. Im about 6'1 and have no problems on it. I got a 19 size frame.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:23 pm

G'day Snake,

You definitely have some problems if you can't lock the brakes. They are cable brakes, so you'll need to adjust them properly.

I'd suggest taking it straight back to the shop and asking them politely (ie demanding) to fix the brakes. I'm sure they would not like to be sued for negligence by your grieving family. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:42 am

Snake,

Congrats on the buy :D My brakes were originally a little soft, might have been because they only just got the bike in and it wasnt setup in any way yet, I got them to adjust them to be more bitey before I left the shop after test riding the smaller frame and then buying. Now they have had a bit of use they will be adjusted again on todays service.

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:31 pm

There's a wearing-in period with new brakes, and again after you change the pads.

I've recenty put some Fibrax enduro pads in the Shimano LX hydro's on my Jekyll, and they took quite a while to bed in. They're quite good now, though.