Do Your Bib Nix say hand wash only?

greyhoundtom

Re: Do Your Bib Nix say hand wash only?

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:06 pm

velocopedant wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:Personally I prefer to wash my cycling clothes by hand, as I can then be sure they are rinsed out thoroughly, because I no longer trust a washing machine after wearing my cycling gear that hadn’t gone through a full cycle properly................................having soap suds appear on your knicks and jersey during a sweaty ride is not a good look. :oops:
Couldn't you just claim that you're a greyhound with rabies?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ezzy

Postby ezzy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:24 am

Mulger bill wrote:My kit just goes onto the laundry floor and appears in the basket clean next day. Last time I went to use the GLWs flash new front loader she threw something at me :(
Lol. She must love that machine. Did she paid for it or was it a present?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:32 pm

Joint purchase but her research and choice (it's a Bosch).

I forgot meself and threw a load in last night while she was at work. Hellllloooooo doghouse for not seperating colours :oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:27 am

Another vote for just in with the washing in general (front load, cold wash). No issue after a few years of this.

KatieRich

Postby KatieRich » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:50 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
Kenzo wrote:
khendar wrote:I just bung mine in the machine with the rest of my clothes.
me too... Front load washing machine. Runs at 50 degrees celsius! Spins at 1200 RPM. So far.... the jerseys and Knicks have been holding up ok but it has only been three months with this new washing machine. Previous machine was an old top loader which thrashed the crud out of everything.
Mine go inside the front loader as well, usually inside one of the GLW's lingerie bag thingys. No issues so far.
Also i had used this bag, and i like this. It's was a smart choice for me. :roll:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Joint purchase but her research and choice (it's a Bosch).

I forgot meself and threw a load in last night while she was at work. Hellllloooooo doghouse for not seperating colours :oops:
Yeah, same here (Bosch). Except I have no magic basket :-(
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:20 am

Mine just go in a washing bag on gentle cycle. That's enough for them. Might try the dettol trick though.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:32 am

MikeyD360 wrote:Also - good tip. A capful (30ml) of Dettol in the washer (where you would normally put your fabric softener (but do NOT mix these as they will go gunky in the machine) and you will find your cycle clothes will be much fresher when they get out.
I tried that and the clothes came out reaking of Dettol so I had to re-wash everything to get the smell out.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:46 am

We have a Fisher and Paykel front-loader (dishwasher and fridge FWIW) - won't be buying F&P again. Continuing dramas with all of them. The front loader is slooooow...

I find with machine washing knicks that are marked handwash only that the stitching gets damaged in areas like around the edge of the chamois - comes apart much earlier than on knicks without this "warning".

So on those nice ground effect bibs I revewed awhile back, the stitching is in perfect condition. Unfortunately the glued edge of the blue chamois panel has lifted, the foam insert has broken up, and they ain't so comfortable any more.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:21 am

LG front load washer/dryer on 30c synthetic cycle. I have never washed them any other way.
On the front loader thing, I reckon they are a con. Take ages, don't wash any better and you can't bung in the last forgotten sock or jock at the last minute. Back to a the old reliable and much faster, top loader when this one finishes up.
As far as using the condenser dryer on the current stupid thing, what a noisy waste of time. Takes ages and annoyingly loud as the waste water pump starts and stops at regular intervals. :x POS
Dogs are the best people :wink:

HLC

Postby HLC » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Between all my kit, and all the gf's workout gear, we usually have enough to do a complete load of Lycra in the FL washer.

Never leave them in the dryer though, always hang dry.

Marx

Postby Marx » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:14 pm

There is only one thing I hand wash every day, and it's not my knicks.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:42 pm

warthog1 wrote:LG front load washer/dryer on 30c synthetic cycle. I have never washed them any other way.
On the front loader thing, I reckon they are a con. Take ages, don't wash any better and you can't bung in the last forgotten sock or jock at the last minute. Back to a the old reliable and much faster, top loader when this one finishes up.
As far as using the condenser dryer on the current stupid thing, what a noisy waste of time. Takes ages and annoyingly loud as the waste water pump starts and stops at regular intervals. :x POS
Not all front loaders are created equal. We had to buy a front loader when we moved house, due to the new place not having a space for a top loader. We researched well because I had heard all the stories about how bad front loaders are.
We ended up with top of the line 8kg capacity Bosch. 1600rpm spin cycle, quiet as a mouse, fully programmable. My cycling gear goes on a 45min cycle and uses next to no water. Depending on the cycle you can pause and add more clothes no probs.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:49 pm

Way to go...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:57 pm

Top loaders are as rare as hens teeth in France... but front loader does just fine, probably uses less water as well. I only hand wash when away ( unless someone brings the camping washer ), machine wash is pretty delicate compared to the beating knicks get on a long rainy day :)

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Mine just go in the wash inside out, and don't get any special treatment.
Then I put knicks through a second rinse cycle, to ensure there is no trace of detergent in the chamois.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:07 pm

queequeg wrote: Not all front loaders are created equal. We had to buy a front loader when we moved house, due to the new place not having a space for a top loader. We researched well because I had heard all the stories about how bad front loaders are.
We ended up with top of the line 8kg capacity Bosch. 1600rpm spin cycle, quiet as a mouse, fully programmable. My cycling gear goes on a 45min cycle and uses next to no water. Depending on the cycle you can pause and add more clothes no probs.
With many good machines you can turn the power off and then on again and it will pick up washing from where it left off. We use this facility in combination with lights timer and start the machine for 1 second and let it continue at 3 o'clock in the morning for the long cycle. That way we can set the washing at night and it is finished by the time we get up in the morning.

Cheers,

Cameron

Mozzar

Postby Mozzar » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:59 am

As i ride often enough and have enogh cycling clithing they get a seperate machine wash.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:16 pm

trailgumby wrote:So on those nice ground effect bibs I revewed awhile back, the stitching is in perfect condition. Unfortunately the glued edge of the blue chamois panel has lifted, the foam insert has broken up, and they ain't so comfortable any more.
How's this for service? :lol:

Ground Effect agrees, the chamois should have lasted longer (a year, now) so a new pair is winging its way over as type this

KatieRich

Postby KatieRich » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:32 pm

me too... Front load washing machine. Runs at 50 degrees celsius! Spins at 1200 RPM. So far.... the jerseys and Knicks have been holding up ok but it has only been three months with this new washing machine. Previous machine was an old top loader which thrashed the crud out of everything.

Mine go inside the front loader as well, usually inside one of the GLW's lingerie bag thingys. No issues so far.

Also i had used this bag, and i like this. It's was a smart choice for me. :roll:

Actually ,the washing machine looks not bad,I like it.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:47 pm

It's not the washing machine that kills cycle clothing... It's all that Velcro on gloves, booties and rain vests that rips it to shreds as I always forget to put it in a string bag.