Accident on Windan Bridge today

BandedRail

Accident on Windan Bridge today

Postby BandedRail » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:56 pm

Ok, I wasn't there so this is all second hand from my wife Adrienne (so don't ask me too many questions). This morning she came across a nasty accident on the city side of Windan Bridge where a cyclist had had a head on with another cyclist and was unconsious and (according to others at the scene) had stopped breathing for a period of time. I really hope the rider is OK, nobody deserves to have their ride end like that. Adrienne noticed that the emergency crews couldn't access the scene due to a stretch of (lowish) cyclone fencing - I'll buy her some decent pliers with cutters on Friday .

A lesson for everyone though - please, PLEASE don't cut the corners entering/exiting the bridge (actually, don't cut a corner ever if you can't see around it). I've nearly been hit a few times by people cutting the corner from the city side even though they are completely unsighted. Note: I'm not saying the injured ride was at fault by the way or even that corner-cutting was the cause, just that when there is a head-on somebody is usually at fault and at that spot it's a high probability that one of the two riders was cutting the corner.
Last edited by BandedRail on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

trailgumby

Re: Accident on Windan Bridge today

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:15 pm

Nearly had a head-on with a couple of roadies overtaking other roadies on the Sydney Harbour Bridge this morning. Unfortunately camera card was full, but I made up for that by giving them a mouthful of my opinion on their riding intelligence.

What is it with some people?

Hope the guy pulls through. :|

Interestingly, the Milton Keynes Redways bike paths had a markedly higher accident rate than the nearby roads for the same period, including two fatalities, I'm guessing from head-ons.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 pm

Hmmm, always very wary at that exact spot. I've observed lots of lazy riding on many corners which just makes me more defensive....

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:21 am

I hope all turns out well for the rider.

A lot of care needs to be taken at this point. The double right angle turn is blind and narrow. Also, the steel plates covering the expansion joint are very slippery when wet.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

jlh

Postby jlh » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Yes and there is also a resident homeless bloke who I would think distracts people a but as well. Definitely a place to slow down and ding loud.