Base Rides

Dizz

Base Rides

Postby Dizz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi all,

I’m looking for interested parties that would like to join me on my longer rides.

From March 16 2013 for at least 8 weeks I’m going to start climbing again. Initially I will integrate a climb into my Base Ride.

It will only be a “Zone 2 Base Ride” and the only time I will run a little “Hot” will be on the climb, so generally quite relaxing and our legs should be suitably warmed up before we start climbing (about 65K mark); at the top of Eagle Heights (about 80K mark) I will need to replenish water and have a quick toilet stop and then after that we basically just cruise back.

Normally, I only train during the week but in an effort to find someone to yak with during theses long rides I would be willing to consider riding on a weekend. Also if you would like to have a proper rest at some point (coffee/30mis); I wouldn’t be fazed, it’s just Base Training after all.

Anyway, if you’re interested; post here or PM and I’ll answer any additional questions that you may have.

Cheers Dizz :D

Angus

Re: Base Rides

Postby Angus » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:14 pm

I might come along with you for one of them anyway. I live at Wynnum/Manly which is where you have it starting. I'd probably do it on a weekday as the weekends are pretty full typically. The climb over 15 kms seems to be long and gentle, I'm not at all familiar with the area.

Dizz

Postby Dizz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:05 pm

Angus wrote:..I'd probably do it on a weekday...
Angus, you rock :D I much prefer weekdays as I really try and avoid riding on weekends.

Yes, the climb is easier from the direction shown, the other way is a bit more challenging. Nevertheless, I won't be trying to push it or attack the mountain in any way; that kind of agony will come later when my Base is built solid. Most of my rides either head-up past Redcliffe or down to the Gold Coast so I know the route fairly well.

Your from Wynnum/Manly as well it just keeps getting better :lol: :lol: :lol: When I posted I didn't really think I would get anyone who would be interested; so I'm stunned and delighted to get a positive response so quickly :mrgreen:

With these rides I like to get started around 6:00 to 7:00am and depending on conditions, I would expect that we will be in the saddle between 7 to 8 hours. This way we will be back before the light starts to fade and won't be needing to have lights fitted to our bikes. In regards to conditions; I understand people are inclined to cancel because of torrential rain or gale force winds but I ride Base K's in all conditions, if your like me in this regard, even better, if not don't worry as I will go regardless.

If it's okay, I'll PM you in about a week to coordinate what day works best for you the following week and then I will schedule the rest of my training around that. I look forward to meeting you soon, Dizz :D

Angus

Postby Angus » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:59 pm

I'd be looking at it as a bit of a challenge. I used race many years ago, just got back into riding regularly about 6 months ago. Although I've ridden this sort of distance previously ( I think 250kms was the biggest in a day), furthest I've gone in recent times is about 120kms. More about lack of time, but I think my butt will complain a lot the last 50 kms or so! I work full-time so I'd take a day off to do this. Early starts are good, 6am suits me.

I'll wait for your PM and take it from there.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:09 am

Count me in if its a Sunday, i'm in Wynnum.
Also have one on the Nth side with 140km/2000m+ I plan to punch out at some stage.

bergerboy

Postby bergerboy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:01 pm

I'd been keen guys, so count me in, never don't such a long ride.

Crawf I'm keen on your loop as well.

I'm at Camp Hill.

Angus

Postby Angus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:02 pm

There's going to be complaints about the large pack of cyclists clogging up the road to Tamborine soon!

Probably Tuesdays or Thursdays are best for me, so 19th or 21st, or 26/28th the week following (28th is the day before Easter weekend, may be more cars out looking to get away for the weekend). Don't know how those days fit in with the others.

Dizz

Postby Dizz » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:51 pm

It would be really cool if we could organise everyone for the same day, for my part I will ride any day all I need is a weeks’ notice so that I can reschedule my other training.

To get the ball rolling I will PM the proposal by Angus to everyone!
Crawf wrote:… have one on the Nth side with 140km/2000m+…
Do you have a course link?

Cheers, Dizz :D

Dizz

Postby Dizz » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:29 am

Hi All,

When I originally posted, I received a number of PM’s from people wanting to do more elevation. However, at that time I was not in a suitable condition :oops: to tackle any more but I am now. Therefore, from Sunday 21 April I will be including an additional mountain to my Base Rides.

I will be doing theses Base Rides every three days, periodically alternate between the two rides until I’m strong enough to do the 240k ride exclusively.

Anyway, if you’re interested; post here or PM and I’ll answer any additional questions that you may have.

Dizz :D

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:27 pm

That is a tuff ride, back of Beechmont is not easy.

Dizz

Postby Dizz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:43 am

Dimma, you’re not wrong the “Back of Beechmont” is definitely not easy I’ve done a short version (180k/2,700m -AV23km/hr)
of the above ride 3 times now and its blood tough but you don’t get more comfortable climbing by avoiding mountains. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway the full ride is now scheduled for Monday 29th April, so if anyone’s mad, keen or both; PM or post here and I’ll answer any additional question that you may have.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:46 am

Dizz wrote:Dimma, you’re not wrong the “Back of Beechmont” is definitely not easy I’ve done a short version (180k/2,700m -AV23km/hr)
of the above ride 3 times now and its blood tough but you don’t get more comfortable climbing by avoiding mountains. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway the full ride is now scheduled for Monday 29th April, so if anyone’s mad, keen or both; PM or post here and I’ll answer any additional question that you may have.

Good luck Dizz keep at it for sure, I'd recommend doing Binna Burra as well which is a pretty regular route for me, and a very enjoyable ride.
I would need more notice than next working day, sorry maybe next time.

D