No Mr Pajero, roads were NOT meant for cars

schroeds

No Mr Pajero, roads were NOT meant for cars

Postby schroeds » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:52 pm

Great news, a book looking at the development of our roads system gives you the prefect ammunition to respond to the oft cited assertion that bikes have no place on roads.

Summary by the author here http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/b ... -cars-book

OK I admit it's a stronger argument in Europe where most roads obviously predate cars, but the same can be said of many roads here too. Quick history lesson:

"It was cyclists, and not motorists, who first pushed for high-quality, dust-free road surfaces (dust was a major irritant at the time, believed to be a cause of disease, especially as so much of it was powdered horse sh*t). The Roads Improvement Association of the UK was created in 1885 by the Cyclists' Touring Club and the forerunner to British Cycling, ten years before the first motorcar was imported into the country. And in America, the Good Roads movement, started by cyclists, later led to the creation of the US Department of Transportation and many "motor lobby" organisations were, originally, started by cyclists."
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

schroeds

Re: No Mr Pajero, roads were NOT meant for cars

Postby schroeds » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:38 pm

....and in the City of Angles (LA) where possibly most of the roads WERE built for cars, they're adjusting the balance.

In 2010 the city passed a bike plan that called for 1,684 miles of planned bicycle lanes. Putting them down was going to require 40 years in total, and millions of dollars. In the two years since the plan was adopted, the LA Department of Transportation has installed 123 miles of new 'bikeways', and is working on adding 200 miles of additional bikeways every five years.

http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/why-nob ... elese.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it can happen there, it can happen anywhere...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:03 pm

schroeds wrote:...If it can happen there, it can happen anywhere...
Sadly, Bruce and Sheila Average won't believe it until they see the hero riding everywhere in Mission-Impossible 28.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:08 am

Pee Wee Hermans big adventure didn't do the trick

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:40 am

This comment on one of the 'Roads were not made for cars' blog posts really got me thinking, "If you really want a motorist to punch you, explain that cyclists, pedestrians and equestrians have an absolute right to be on the road, whereas a motorist can only drive 'under licence', which can be taken away if they fall foul of the law."
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:49 am

Mulger bill wrote:
schroeds wrote:...If it can happen there, it can happen anywhere...
Sadly, Bruce and Sheila Average won't believe it until they see the hero riding everywhere in Mission-Impossible 28.
Oi, I don't mind you having a go at me, but leave the missus out of it :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:34 am

Pajero = w@nker in Spanish...
Kinda appropriate really....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:04 pm

schroeds wrote:Pee Wee Hermans big adventure didn't do the trick

And this comes as a surprise? :shock:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:46 pm

And this month Los Angeles should also see the start of a very ambitious bike sharing program. Bike Nation's plan is to eventually have 4,000 bicycles at 400 different stations - if the plan comes to fruition L.A.'s bike share will be even larger than New York City's.
http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/why-nob ... elese.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder if it will bomb like Melbourne's Bike Share.