The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:11 pm

Rhubarb wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Couple of ninja cyclists tonight in the dark. Both of them in fairly dark clothes too. Neither of them had lights. They were riding together. And a few pedestrians in dark clothes too. Always a bad thing in areas where there are no other lights. :shock:

I nearly ran over 4 emo teenagers 1 night who were sitting on the bikepath around a bend in a dark park. The only thing that saved them was the glow of their cigarettes.

I hate it when they do that! I happened on one lurking around under a bridge once. He freaked out and bolted as fast as he could, leaving the spray can sailing through the air. :lol:
g-boaf

by BNA » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:50 pm

BNA

Postby high_tea » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Heh. I came across a couple of Goths making out on a bike path once. No glowing ciggies to give them away, just my old and not too good battery light, lighting up their black and decidedly non-reflective clothing. I mean, how did that conversation go?

"Hey, let's make out in the car"
"I don't have the car. Mum has it this weekend"
"Oh, me neither, owing to a nasty accident involving nail-polish and leather sofas"
"Let's make out anyway"
"Yeah, okay"
"I feel silly doing this in a carpark without a car"
"Yeah, let's move onto the bikepath. It's Brisbane in the 90s. What, is a cyclist going to use it? Don't make me laugh!"

I wasn't old enough for "kids these days" rants then, but I am now. And it turns out I'm not above doing it retrospectively.
high_tea

Postby Scarfy96 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:13 am

bychosis wrote:Myrtone, please let this go. Let us agree to disagree and get on with telling stories of cyclists and pedestrians doing things that they probably wouldn't if they had properly thought things through.

EDIT: eg: clip I just found of a moment a few pages back.

That section of "shared path" is notorious for it. If you ride along there you should expect people standing, there, walking across it without looking, dogs, rollerblades, skateboards, rip sticks, tricycles, remote controlled cars, footballs, toddlers on leashes, ......

I would say on a weekend the numbers shown there were quite light to be honest.
Scarfy96

Postby tubby74 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:53 am

shared path near Putney goes past some football fields. Sunday morning a group decides the path rather than the 5 metres of grass closer to the sideline is the perfect place to setup their picnic chairs and watch the game.
tubby74

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:07 am

tubby74 wrote:shared path near Putney goes past some football fields. Sunday morning a group decides the path rather than the 5 metres of grass closer to the sideline is the perfect place to setup their picnic chairs and watch the game.

some people need to be taken out the back and removed from the gene pool...
jasonc

Postby bychosis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:07 am

Scarfy96 wrote:
bychosis wrote:Myrtone, please let this go. Let us agree to disagree and get on with telling stories of cyclists and pedestrians doing things that they probably wouldn't if they had properly thought things through.

EDIT: eg: clip I just found of a moment a few pages back.

That section of "shared path" is notorious for it. If you ride along there you should expect people standing, there, walking across it without looking, dogs, rollerblades, skateboards, rip sticks, tricycles, remote controlled cars, footballs, toddlers on leashes, ......

I would say on a weekend the numbers shown there were quite light to be honest.

Yes, but this group of stationary peds was out of the ordinary, most of the heavy traffic in the area is moving, not just sticking around for a chat. This group didn't even get a hint from the 2stroke powered bike that passed them moments before, but I think he just went round them on the grass-which I refuse to do to make a point.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Scarfy96 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:22 am

Sure but I have been through there on a number of occasions when there are wedding photos being taken and the wedding party or other guests completely block the path, or the photographer likes the stable cement footing to set his tripod up on! Also plenty of times the benches on the lake side often have chairs spill out onto the path obstructing quite a bit of it. Whenever there is a function in the pavillion women congregate out on the path because their high heels don't sink into the cement like they do the grass etc.

Weekdays or weekends if you are lucky to strike it when there isn't a function of some type on there it is usually moving in some way, other times (and they look like function guests) it is more like a congregation area.
Scarfy96

Postby ab012 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Well done :shock: to the dude on the e-bike going down airport drive on the wrong side of the road at around 5:30pm today. Hope you enjoy your thrills. You sure got peoples attention alright.

(i wonder if this should this be in the motorist thread...?)
ab012

Postby Saturnstarzz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Nice work done by the lady on her cruiser on Latrobe St Melbourne this arvo near Melbourne Central. Raining and decides the quickest way to the shops is to cross with the peds sending them scattering then decides to ride up the wrong side of the road whilst they making a new Copenhagen style (which I hate) bike lane. :shock:
Saturnstarzz

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Near-miss head-on with a couple of roadies climbing up from the southern end of teh Sydney Harbour Bridge. They were attempting to pass another pair and there was simply no way for them to get back left in time. Unfortunately, camera card was full. :(
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:37 am

a workmate told me one yesterday. He and his daughter were driving to work. traffic was stopping in the right lane in town and they couldn't work out why. Eventually, it starts moving again, but the left lane stops.... Salmon cyclist was the result. Workmates daughter gives said cyclist a few words of "encouragement". She goes to work, turns out said super salmon is a co-worker. He's currently invisible in the workplace. Wonder why...
jasonc

Postby hannos » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:01 pm

This time, me...
Just started my ride from Loftus, head down into the wind. Look up as I'm 1/4 through the intersection to see the light is Red...

I really must pay more attention on the road...
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:41 pm

Tensions, conflicts, etc
The purpose of this forum is to foster positive discussions. If there are disagreements, let them remain as so and refrain from challenging or attacking other member.

Agreeing to disagree is an honorable way to end a discussion

If you don't know what this is all about - thank you for being part of the vast majority who participate in the forums well.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 01, 2013 12:32 am

This one was all me. I forgot about the gate swinging shut and of course I was clipped in, hanging on to the fence, trying to move backwards, unclip and avoid the gate doing my front wheel in all at the same time ... just managed to avoid going down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXXATFE6JeY

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby biker jk » Wed May 01, 2013 9:30 am

Three cyclists were pulled up by a policeman with a radar gun at a 40kmh school zone along Oxford St Paddington this morning. He gave them a warning and let them off. I presume they were doing over 40kmh but my understanding is that speed limits aren't enforceable for cyclists so perhaps he considered they were riding dangerously?
biker jk

Postby VRE » Wed May 01, 2013 9:52 am

biker jk wrote:Three cyclists were pulled up by a policeman with a radar gun at a 40kmh school zone along Oxford St Paddington this morning. He gave them a warning and let them off. I presume they were doing over 40kmh but my understanding is that speed limits aren't enforceable for cyclists so perhaps he considered they were riding dangerously?

Speed limits apply to cyclists and motorists equally. I can't see why they wouldn't be enforceable for cyclists - this incident demonstrated that they can be enforced.
VRE

Postby jasonc » Wed May 01, 2013 10:00 am

VRE wrote:Speed limits apply to cyclists and motorists equally.

True. Only problem being there is no ADR requirement to have a calibrated speedo. i.e. take fine to court. "sorry your honour, I don't have a calibrated/approved speedo". Case dismissed
They are better off booking you for "no warning device" (a bell is $6, put one on your bike), or dangerous/careless riding.
jasonc

Postby twizzle » Wed May 01, 2013 10:06 am

Three lanes each way, 60kph zone... kid rides across a bike/ped crossing against the red trying to anticipate gaps in the traffic, the car in the lane next to me stopped to avoid hitting him, I locked up the rear and gave the kid a piece of my mind. This location is less than 50 metres from an intersection which has one of the highest accident rates for car/bicycle interactions in the district.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby VRE » Wed May 01, 2013 10:44 am

jasonc wrote:

True. Only problem being there is no ADR requirement to have a calibrated speedo. i.e. take fine to court. "sorry your honour, I don't have a calibrated/approved speedo". Case dismissed
They are better off booking you for "no warning device" (a bell is $6, put one on your bike), or dangerous/careless riding.

Good point. I'd forgotten about the speedo calibration requirement. It will be interesting to see if having an approved speedo on a bike ever becomes a requirement...
VRE

Postby jasonc » Wed May 01, 2013 10:54 am

VRE wrote:It will be interesting to see if having an approved speedo on a bike ever becomes a requirement...

awesome. then our bikes will have to come with "tyre placards"
jasonc

Postby find_bruce » Wed May 01, 2013 11:08 am

biker jk wrote:Three cyclists were pulled up by a policeman with a radar gun at a 40kmh school zone along Oxford St Paddington this morning. He gave them a warning and let them off. I presume they were doing over 40kmh but my understanding is that speed limits aren't enforceable for cyclists so perhaps he considered they were riding dangerously?

Your understanding, whilst common even among police, is incorrect.
find_bruce wrote:Can I be booked for speeding on a bicycle?
Yes – the reference to a driver includes a cyclist and you are required to comply with applicable speed limits. (rule 20) In relation to bike paths or shared paths, there may be scope to argue that they are not part of a road related area. There may also be issues about whether the particular speed limit sign was put up with the correct authority.
NSW the usual way of dealing with speeding offences though is to issue a penalty notice in accordance with the [url]Road Transport (General) Regulation 2005 (NSW)[/url]. In relation to speeding (road rule 20) they are set out by reference to the class of motor vehicle. Because a bicycle is not a motor vehicle of any class, a police officer cannot issue a penalty notice for speeding on a bicycle. Accordingly the only way to enforce speed limits in relation to a cyclist is to issue a court attendance notice. If the offence is proven, a cyclist who exceeds the speed limit by 30 km per hour or less will be liable to a fine, which may be as high as $2,200, but probably much less.
NSW Road Rules 2008 20 Obeying the speed limit
A driver must not drive at a speed over the speed limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is driving.

A driver includes a rider and the rule applies to all vehicles, not just motor vehicles

The difference between issuing a penalty notice or having to issue a court attendance notice is subtle but important. Issuing a court attendance notice means more work for the cop which in turns means they are less likely to charge you.
VRE wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Good point. I'd forgotten about the speedo calibration requirement. It will be interesting to see if having an approved speedo on a bike ever becomes a requirement...

Sorry that is not the way these offences work. Speeding, like almost all traffic matters, is a strict liability offence. While you may be able to establish a defence of mistake of fact, that would require you to establish that you had an honest and reasonable belief that you were travelling under the speed limit, not that you were ignorant of your speed.

The absence of any requirement for a speedo was no impediment to West Australian police fining a speeding cyclist last year
find_bruce

Postby familyguy » Wed May 01, 2013 11:32 am

I don't think this is dumb, just a little too strict...

I came across a guy this morning, 7:30am, busy road, riding sensibly (I believed, probably many others didn't), lane-claiming, easy to see. I had a close shave, and thought he was rightly indignant at me when he pulled up three cars behind me in stopped traffic. Fully expecting him to come down the lane and 'chat', I kept my eye on him. He sat, in traffic, stopped absolutely by the book, not splitting/filtering, not on the footpath, just...sitting. Talking to whoever could hear. When a motorbike would filter by next to him or the lane across he'd shout vociferously "Illegal! Illegal!" and shake his head. When a rider (who I see very regularly) rode by on the footpath, he did the same, then explained to all and sundry "you can't do that if you're under 12 you know!" (he's wrong, I believe, in NSW it's 14). Over the next ten minutes it took me to go between two sets of lights, he did it all by the book, treating himself as a car, and sitting in traffic. He even did the 'angry commuter stuck in traffic' spiel of "these roads are always clogged, why can't they work out transport in this area!"

In a way he made my day, but he also ticked me off a little through the whole self-righteous thing. If two hundred cars are stopped between intersections, I'm sure nobody minds if you use the path or split ahead.

A real oddity...

Jim
familyguy

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed May 01, 2013 11:34 am

familyguy wrote:I don't think this is dumb, just a little too strict...

I came across a guy this morning, 7:30am, busy road, riding sensibly (I believed, probably many others didn't), lane-claiming, easy to see. I had a close shave, and thought he was rightly indignant at me when he pulled up three cars behind me in stopped traffic. Fully expecting him to come down the lane and 'chat', I kept my eye on him. He sat, in traffic, stopped absolutely by the book, not splitting/filtering, not on the footpath, just...sitting. Talking to whoever could hear. When a motorbike would filter by next to him or the lane across he'd shout vociferously "Illegal! Illegal!" and shake his head. When a rider (who I see very regularly) rode by on the footpath, he did the same, then explained to all and sundry "you can't do that if you're under 12 you know!" (he's wrong, I believe, in NSW it's 14). Over the next ten minutes it took me to go between two sets of lights, he did it all by the book, treating himself as a car, and sitting in traffic. He even did the 'angry commuter stuck in traffic' spiel of "these roads are always clogged, why can't they work out transport in this area!"

In a way he made my day, but he also ticked me off a little through the whole self-righteous thing. If two hundred cars are stopped between intersections, I'm sure nobody minds if you use the path or split ahead.

A real oddity...

Jim

So why did you close shave him? Impatient and trying to pass without changing lanes?
AndrewBurns

Postby VRE » Wed May 01, 2013 11:38 am

Thanks for the information, Bruce, much appreciated :) .
VRE

Postby hannos » Wed May 01, 2013 12:22 pm

familyguy wrote: "you can't do that if you're under 12 you know!" (he's wrong, I believe, in NSW it's 14).
Jim

Definitely 12 years

250–1 NSW rule: children under 12 years not to ride on certain footpaths
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion