Travel Insurance - Cycling overseas

ramp

Travel Insurance - Cycling overseas

Postby ramp » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Anyone got any experience or suggestions for a travel insurance policy that provides cover when cycling overseas?

I am doing the Nove Coli (9 Hills) in Italy in a few weeks time. About the same as 3 Dams but with 1,800m elevation. It is a Gran Fondo but it does include a race section with pro teams racing for prizes. Not me though.

Travel insurance policies that I have read the PDS for all seem to have similar wording excluding cover if you "participate in a race, other than on foot". I have contacted two major insurers asking for clarification of whether they view my part of the event as a race. Both answers were non specific but leaned to not providing cover as the event is a race. Several calls and email exchanges pointing out my ride details have not helped.

In the first week of a 6 week holiday i would hate to meet with an accident and not have cover. Any suggestions?

Baalzamon

Re: Travel Insurance - Cycling overseas

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:03 pm

Join Audax
Worldwide cover when riding a bike :)
Link to details
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

ramp

Postby ramp » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. The Audax cover is very limited (medical expenses capped at $5,000 and nothing for loss on cancellation of the remainder of my trip) I am sorted elsewhere for death, Income Replacement and the like. Just need a travel insurance plan that does not exclude my cycle event.

I think from looking into this plenty of people travel thinking they are covered but not checking the fine print.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:01 pm

You could ask the travel insurance providers for a specific inclusion in your policy schedule to include cover if you are racing or in an organised ride. Although the premium will probably go through the roof. Have you tried that method?

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:08 pm

Cyclecover offer worldwide coverage, including racing.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

beankey

Postby beankey » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:39 pm

Members of Bicycling Western Australia have limited medical/repatriation cover whilst overseas ($50,000). I had reason to claim from this a couple of years ago when I crashed during a French cyclosportive and hospitalised for two weeks. BWA were great - very helpful and I was repaid all my expenses. They don't cover damage or theft of bikes however. You are correct in that most travel insurance policies regard cyclosportives and grand fondos as races and hence aren't covered (although I don't regard them as races).
By the way Italy does have a reciprocal heath care arrangement with Australia (as does UK, Ireland, Holland, Sweden, Norway, Finland) essential medical stuff is dealt with free in their health system If you need treatment you need to show them your passport and medicare card.
Coincidentally, I'll be riding the Nove Colli this May too, I'll be wearing a Glen Parker jersey so if you spot me amongst the twelve thousand come and say hello.
cheers BK

ramp

Postby ramp » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:47 pm

BK, there are only 13 Australians in the field of 12,000 I will be sure to say hi if I see (or hear) you. You might spot me crawling up The Barbotto. I fear for what it offers. I got through 3 Dams OK just need to find another 600m of climbing! The event sounds epic and I can only imagine the days leading up to it and the party after will be worth the struggle on the hills.

I think I have found what I am looking for. Velosure http://www.velosure.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; offer a badged version of an Allianz travel policy but have a replacement special condition that reads:

Your claims arises because you hunt, race (other than by foot or bicycle as a non-professional), engage in Open Water Sailing, play polo, go mountaineering
or rock climbing using ropes or climbing equipment (other than for hiking), from professional sport of any kind or from parachuting or hang gliding