29er as a Road and Single-track Tourer

RonK

Re: 29er as a Road and Single-track Tourer

Postby RonK » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:27 pm

rifraf wrote:I'm considering some white ones to contrast with my Ogres back frame.
Then we would be forced to report you to the style police. Silver goes with black please. :)

There are black ones listed on bikeexchange.com.au btw.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Konatourer

Postby Konatourer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:28 pm

I have just fitted Serfas Drifters 29 - 2" to my bike. Only day touring so far but going well.

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:19 pm

rifraf wrote:
DavidL wrote:Wiggle currently have the 50-622 for just under $53, and buying a pair will have free shipping AND currently an extra 10% off that if you spend over $165.

Fenders seem to be hard to come across for 29ers. There are Hybrid versions that are 50mm wide which might surfice, but the only 29er specific guards I have found are Plant Bike Cascadia 29er which have good online reviews and at 65mm wide with disc brake support seem to tick all the boxes.

Looks like the Fargo is going to be a dedicated winter commuter for this season.

- David.
I cant see the Supreme in 29er at Wiggle David - that link shows "discontinued".
Let us know if you find a decent price on the Cascadias as most of the availability I've seen encumbers large postage costs.
I'm considering some white ones to contrast with my Ogres back frame.
Humm, they were an option when I posted, and I added some to my cart (but didn't fire the trigger). Doesn't look like they intend to re-stock which is a pitty.

- David.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:51 pm

Konatourer wrote:I have just fitted Serfas Drifters 29 - 2" to my bike. Only day touring so far but going well.
Hi Konatourer,
welcome to the forum :!:
Serfas have some great products.
I use one of their flashing tail lights.
Its extremely bright and has lasted for many years.
I'd happily buy another.
I've yet to try their tyres.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:57 pm

DavidL wrote: Humm, they were an option when I posted, and I added some to my cart (but didn't fire the trigger). Doesn't look like they intend to re-stock which is a pitty.

- David.
You might have to check back with them later.
Think I spotted them at SJS and at bike24

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:14 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:I'm considering some white ones to contrast with my Ogres back frame.
Then we would be forced to report you to the style police. Silver goes with black please. :)

Thanks for that :!:
I'm kinda hoping for a better price. Shame the poms dont sell them with their cheap/free shipping making a big
difference. That bikeexchange price is about the average US price plus postage.

Konatourer

Postby Konatourer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:46 am

I posted before about the tyres I am using on my 29er for road and single track. I thought I would give some more details. My bike is an Avanti Agressor 29.1. These frames have rack bosses which is helpful. I have fitted a Racktime Addit rack. These are made by Tubus but in alloy. Seems to be quite rigid. Tyres are Serfas Drifter 29x2'. I run these at 65 psi and they roll quite well. I have also fitted a short stem with a bit of lift. On the standard bars I have Ergon grips. These are wonderfully comfortable for my hands. They are teamed with Zero carbon bar ends and there are a few options for hand placement. The bike is great to ride, goes anywhere, is comfortable over the distances I have been riding - up to 50 k's. I'll probably take it to Kangaroo Island for the Bike SA ride in October. If I get some advice on pics I'll put some up.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Sounds like a very nice bike set-up for touring and some rough stuff riding.
Konatourer wrote:Tyres are Serfas Drifter 29x2'. I run these at 65 psi and they roll quite well.
Unless you are quite a heavy guy, this seems to be over-inflated at that pressure. I'm 60kg and run 2.00 tyres at about 45-50psi max. Beware, as I now believe that an over-inflated front tyre for the road conditions (1.75" at 60psi on gravel roads) was what led to my front wheel slide and resulting broken collarbone in February. Really could have done without it - still yet to get back on the bike :( . At 60psi your 2.0 tyres will roll quite well, but be prone to bounce, and slide quite well too.

A bit of a guide to it is given here. The optimum pressures with wheel loads (not total load) are given in the graph and are very surprising.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:15 pm

il padrone wrote:Sounds like a very nice bike set-up for touring and some rough stuff riding.
Konatourer wrote:Tyres are Serfas Drifter 29x2'. I run these at 65 psi and they roll quite well.
Unless you are quite a heavy guy, this seems to be over-inflated at that pressure. I'm 60kg and run 2.00 tyres at about 45-50psi max. Beware, as I now believe that an over-inflated front tyre for the road conditions (1.75" at 60psi on gravel roads) was what led to my front wheel slide and resulting broken collarbone in February. Really could have done without it - still yet to get back on the bike :( . At 60psi your 2.0 tyres will roll quite well, but be prone to bounce, and slide quite well too.

A bit of a guide to it is given here. The optimum pressures with wheel loads (not total load) are given in the graph and are very surprising.

Don't forget to mention that the calculation used in the chart is based on the percentage weight distribution between the front and rear wheels.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:46 pm

Yes, that's correct. Also what amazes me is that my normal 47mm touring tyres and the expedition 60mm tyres are right off the scale. I was running the 60mm Marathon Mondials at sub-20psi in the sand of the Finke Road*, but generally inflated them to about 40psi on hard road surfaces. Maybe this was over-inflating as well? I weigh 60kg plus the bike, gear and water would have weighed another 60-80kg :shock:

* At 20psi they were disconcertingly bouncy, and did occasionally bottom on bumps - but no punctures and they got me through most of sand :)
Last edited by il padrone on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Konatourer

Postby Konatourer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:05 pm

I have been riding a fair amount of tar and gravelly tracks more so than roads. I might give them a run at a lower pressure and see how they go. I am a bigger guy. I might try around 35 - 40 psi and see how they go.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:08 pm

RonK wrote:

Silver does not appear to be available in the 29ers 65mm width sizing :(
and white is a limited edition
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/cascadialtd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:28 pm

RonK wrote:
Much as I admire your Hammered Honjos(?) did you have an opinion on the Gilles Berthoud stainless guards?
Lighter than the Cascadias although I dont think as well attached. Certainly lacking the hammered look unfortunately but what can you do.
Whilst I admire the Cascadia they are close to a kilo and black fenders might be a bit much with a black frame
me tinks :wink:
Certainly decent bang for buck here:
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSGBSSFS-70 ... set___700c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Options are few and far between for 2.00 + tyres

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:59 pm

rifraf wrote:Whilst I admire the Cascadia they are close to a kilo and black fenders might be a bit much with a black frame
me tinks :wink:
Crikey!!? What are they made of - old conveyor belt rubber or something??
I just looked up some details on weight and from a CTC Forum post got a weight of 234g for 35mm SKS mudguards, and that sounds about right to me. I don't see how the Cascadia's should be so heavy...... although I guess they do have those built-in mud-flaps, maybe they add all the weight ??

BTW I have happily run 2.0" and even the 2.3" tyres inside my 55mm SKS - not ideal but it worked and they kept the water off.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 am

il padrone wrote: Crikey!!? What are they made of - old conveyor belt rubber or something??
I just looked up some details on weight and from a CTC Forum post got a weight of 234g for 35mm SKS mudguards, and that sounds about right to me. I don't see how the Cascadia's should be so heavy...... although I guess they do have those built-in mud-flaps, maybe they add all the weight ??

BTW I have happily run 2.0" and even the 2.3" tyres inside my 55mm SKS - not ideal but it worked and they kept the water off.
Just tried to find a link to the 890g weight I spotted and cant find it currently.
I have found a link which suggests 708g so perhaps what I spotted earlier was packaged weight?
http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp ... AID=204502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the info on the SKS IP :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:47 am

rifraf wrote:Much as I admire your Hammered Honjos(?) did you have an opinion on the Gilles Berthoud stainless guards?
The Velo Orange fenders I have on the Pioneer are identical to the Gilles Berthoud in appearance, and I expect stainless steel to be more durable, which why I chose 'em. I think these will complement the Ogre nicely.

Velo Orange don't have a 700c stainless steel fender, but they do have the aluminium Zeppelin in 700 x 52 mm.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:16 pm

RonK wrote: The Velo Orange fenders I have on the Pioneer are identical to the Gilles Berthoud in appearance, and I expect stainless steel to be more durable, which why I chose 'em. I think these will complement the Ogre nicely.

Velo Orange don't have a 700c stainless steel fender, but they do have the aluminium Zeppelin in 700 x 52 mm.
I love the polished metal look and think they would offset the black frame extraordinarily well.

I do wonder though, with the rigidity of the metal, if it would make the rear wheel removal horizontal dropout issue manifest itself even worse.
Especially with the wraparound bracket/stay combo as a means of support for the guard (as per your great pic).

I have decided with the benefit of input both here and elsewhere to forgo the Cascadias in white, mostly because of my black/yellow Ortliebs and the busy picture the white would paint. :shock:

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:47 pm

rifraf wrote:I do wonder though, with the rigidity of the metal, if it would make the rear wheel removal horizontal dropout issue manifest itself even worse.
Especially with the wraparound bracket/stay combo as a means of support for the guard (as per your great pic).
Tsk, tsk, yet another compromise. :D

Anyway, just because they are made from stainless steel doesn't mean they are inflexible. And it would not matter the type of mudguard and stay you choose - if necessary they will have to be released, but that's not big deal.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:40 pm

RonK wrote: Tsk, tsk, yet another compromise. :D

Anyway, just because they are made from stainless steel doesn't mean they are inflexible. And it would not matter the type of mudguard and stay you choose - if necessary they will have to be released, but that's not big deal.
I'm going to give them a go.
I ordered them on Friday (29/3) but due to a computer glitch, they got my money but my registration/delivery details were discarded.
A couple of calls with the details needed and my order has been confirmed today and will hopefully be on its way soon.
A bit of a performance but hopefully alls well as ends well.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:12 pm

Bits and pieces slowly coming together

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:03 pm

Looking at the Titec bars I think reach should not be a problem for you.

Gasp - are those reflectors on the pedals? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:07 am

RonK wrote:Looking at the Titec bars I think reach should not be a problem for you.

Gasp - are those reflectors on the pedals? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes but they are of an XT level :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=587372896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hmmmmmmm no, not nearly as classy as the M785's with the double sided clip ins, nor much lighter
http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=587201367" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but I felt I did want to try the option of a flat platform on one side and clip in on the other.
I will still retain the M785's in case I dont like them. :idea:

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:54 am

Hey rifraf,

The bike is looking great...I like the bars! I almost bought some Jones bars once....maybe in the future?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:11 am

Hi Wingnut,
I had a quote from Sheila Jones about a fortnight ago for a black loop bar in butted aluminum.
It was $120 for the bar, $10 for the black cork grips, $48 for shipping to WA, $4.75 for insurance, making a total of

$182.75

I think I'll be going for it.

I think Charliethebikemonger.com would be quicker with the postage although he'll have no stock for the next fortnight.

I really prefer the full loop and the genuine Jones bar is a little longer in the "paws" end which will make fitting my rohloff gripshift and grips easier.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:54 am

Wingnut wrote:Hey rifraf,

The bike is looking great...I like the bars! I almost bought some Jones bars once....maybe in the future?
JJ bars are super comfy off road. A few of my mates have got them and they are great in the single track. Personally I think for touring though they maybe a little wide.

You really have to get your stem length right with them. You will need a longer stem than normal. Remember that when you riding on the back extensions it is a similar position to where your hands would be located when riding on your barends where they are clamped to the handlebars.