Jenolan Caves Super Mega Huge Enormous HTFU Epic!

aeroslave

Re: Jenolan Caves Super Mega Huge Enormous HTFU Epic!

Postby aeroslave » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:37 am

If this pushes through...I am definitely a goer. I missed this due to a family trip to the Hunter. Its second on my "To do list" after Bells Line to Lithgow.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Will keep an eye out for the dates...no doubt it will an awsome ride not short on fun and pain :D

stevet

Postby stevet » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:04 pm

My training plan.....
1. Climbing
2. Climbing
3. Climbing
4. Climbing
5. Climbing
Ok I think I've covered it... :?

On a serious note... need more daylight hours than what are around now... so probably spring...
Gives us time to do a few serious rides before then..
Yours sincerely

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:25 pm

Might be a good lead up to the Fitz's 255:D

vander

Postby vander » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:28 pm

You guys should head south some time for a big ride a few good climbs you could do.

http://app.strava.com/segments/674128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://app.strava.com/segments/633582
http://app.strava.com/segments/612407
http://app.strava.com/segments/658378

And a couple of little steep ones to finish off
http://app.strava.com/segments/616190
http://app.strava.com/segments/694218
Would be a pretty nice day out, I need to do this at some stage.

leximack

Postby leximack » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Chuck wrote:
leximack wrote: Note: Please do not be offended if i recomend at Katoomba (or the jenolan caves rd turn off) that i think you are struggling and best if you turn back.
John didn't get offended, he didn't listen either :P We witnessed an epic resurrection....

i hinted and hinted and then straight out told him to turn back but the bugger refused and kept going. So i dragged him on my wheel at some ridiculously slow pace from that pub at hartley (think it is hartley) to the top of the descent into jenolan. I thought he was going to curl over and die and some stages but by some freakish miracle he made it to jenolan, rested, stocked up on food and then he was a different person, like he just started the ride with a fresh body (John doesnt have a twin brother and swapped mid ride does he?? :lol: :lol: ). It was the most amazing thing i have ever seen :D :D :D .

I said i would never do this ride again but never say never hey :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

leximack

Postby leximack » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Cossie Phil wrote:Might be a good lead up to the Fitz's 255:D
think you have it back to front. Do fitzs first, if you can complete that then you qualify for jenolan :!: :!: :!:

leximack

Postby leximack » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:13 pm

vander wrote:You guys should head south some time for a big ride a few good climbs you could do.

http://app.strava.com/segments/674128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://app.strava.com/segments/633582
http://app.strava.com/segments/612407
http://app.strava.com/segments/658378

And a couple of little steep ones to finish off
http://app.strava.com/segments/616190
http://app.strava.com/segments/694218
Would be a pretty nice day out, I need to do this at some stage.
we have done the wollongong loop before coming back via mt keira. Was 280km i think??. Would be mega epic going even furher down with more hills :shock: :shock:

rogan

Postby rogan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:09 pm

leximack wrote:
think you have it back to front. Do fitzs first, if you can complete that then you qualify for jenolan :!: :!: :!:
This nutty Jenolan ride has to be harder than the Fitz's 255.

stevet

Postby stevet » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:19 am

Think the place was called "Hampton" with the benches outside where John was leaving the mortal coil. :?
Yours sincerely

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:53 am

rogan wrote:
leximack wrote:
Depends on whether kms or climbing is considered harder :wink: Fitz's gets comfortably into the 5000m range of elevation gained in one day but yeah is a few less kms...

Depends on the dates I guess, for which will come first. Is a shame we dont have any serious mountains near us in Sydney, I did Mt Buller this year, and have well and truely been bitten by the bug :P

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:42 pm

Ok any dates? I need a weeks notice. Will file a leave for this one and the day after if shiftwork gets in the way.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:15 pm

We got plenty of hills for repeats, eon proved that in spades :shock:

rogan

Postby rogan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Cossie Phil wrote:
rogan wrote:
Depends on whether kms or climbing is considered harder :wink: Fitz's gets comfortably into the 5000m range of elevation gained in one day but yeah is a few less kms...

Depends on the dates I guess, for which will come first. Is a shame we dont have any serious mountains near us in Sydney, I did Mt Buller this year, and have well and truely been bitten by the bug :P
I did the Fitz's 205 (really 210) last year. It was tough, but there were no crisis points, and 8 hours of riding, which is quite manageable. It has almost the same amount of climbing as Chuck's Jenolan ride - 4130 m. Another 120 km of flat terrain added on to that ride, I can tell you would really have sucked.

The 255 is a fair bit tougher, although most of the really steep stuff (Fitz's, Honeysuckle, Bobeyan Rd, parts of the front of Corin Forest) is in the 205 as well. But I'd take extra 50 km of hills over another 120 km of flat any day!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Really? At least you can hide in the pack on the flat, there is no drafting on a 5% climb lol

stevet

Postby stevet » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:41 am

1. Fitz's 255 - (From the web site) "over 4700 m of vertical climbing" and "255 km" :shock:
2. Jenolan HTFU - (from Garmin) 4632m and 300 km :shock:

And the winner is ........... :?
Yours sincerely

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:01 am

The road is the winner, there can be no human victory ;)

Any suggested training for this? Just do 100km rides of 5-10% hill repeats? I don't think the M7 is going to cut it for some reason...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 am

stevet wrote:1. Fitz's 255 - (From the web site) "over 4700 m of vertical climbing" and "255 km" :shock:
2. Jenolan HTFU - (from Garmin) 4632m and 300 km :shock:

And the winner is ........... :?
Checking Strava the actual climbing on Fitz's 255 was 5,000-5,250m or thereabouts. The advertised climbing is always understated.

stevet

Postby stevet » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:44 pm

biker jk wrote:
Checking Strava the actual climbing on Fitz's 255 was 5,000-5,250m or thereabouts. The advertised climbing is always understated.
We could add the climb up to Edith once we've reached Jenolan that should add a few more meters. The climb is in the shadows but it is seriously steep (first gear in my car in sections) :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :oops: . I Think Don has the stats from a motor bike ride.

Worth considering?????
Yours sincerely

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:56 pm

I didn't realise that Bowen Mountain was only 10kms extra past North Richmond... if anyone is keen, I will hopefully do it this weekend after the fast ride. I think Trek-Arty might be convinced of coming for a run as well...

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:07 pm

Xplora wrote: Any suggested training for this? Just do 100km rides of 5-10% hill repeats? I don't think the M7 is going to cut it for some reason...
You need to do distance (as well). There is a massive difference between 100km and 300km.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Would you say this is necessary to learn pacing over the distance, or the actual endurance itself? The reason I ask is because I've actually had very little trouble completing my recent "big efforts". I'm constrained more by time, than by ability. Pushing yourself to break the air at the front for 40kph leading up to Lapstone could be construed as very poor pacing, but ultimately its the same activity at 200km as it is at 300 or 400. Just got to figure out how to eat enough for such a herculean effort (it's 2 whole pizzas for the day)....

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:46 pm

i did a few 150 and 200k rides before i went 300+. Huge difference between 100, 200 and 300+.
200+ requires correct pacing and nutrition.
If you blow up at 150km because you went out a bit quick or didnt eat correctly then it is very hard to recover properly and complete the ride.
No idea what your longest ride is (not intested in how hilly it is) but get a 150k and then a 200km flatish ride under your belt and then add in hills after that.
Everyone is different with how much and when to eat and drink so you really need to experiment yourself. But as a general rule if your hungry then its probably too late!!

TimW

Postby TimW » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:11 pm

leximack wrote:i did a few 150 and 200k rides before i went 300+. Huge difference between 100, 200 and 300+.
If you blow up at 150km because you went out a bit quick or didnt eat correctly then it is very hard to recover properly and complete the ride.
No idea what your longest ride is (not intested in how hilly it is) but get a 150k and then a 200km flatish ride under your belt and then add in hills after that.
Everyone is different with how much and when to eat and drink so you really need to experiment yourself. But as a general rule if your hungry then its probably too late!!
I tried to tell him Donny but he ain't listening :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:28 pm

leximack wrote:i did a few 150 and 200k rides before i went 300+. Huge difference between 100, 200 and 300+.
Yep. Most rides over about ~150 km will contain a point where you don't feel so great. That is the point where your body switches from carbs to fats (it's more technical than that, and it's not a single point). To improve this, you need to teach your body to burn fat, hopefully from soon after starting. To do 300+ km, over ~13 hours, without relying heavily on your fat burning metabolism, is just about impossible. You cannot, during the course of such a ride, eat 4000 or 5000 calories (which is what you would theoretically need to do). One way to train your body to burn fat better is by going past 150 km. Well past. ~100 km rides will never do it. Not even 3 x hard 100km rides in 3 consecutive days.

If you are doing it properly, you should hardly ever get hungry on "normal" rides at all - ie. up to about ~4 hours.

So yes you need to learn pacing, managing your system, your intakes of water and food. You need to be able to climb steep hills, and be able to concentrate for long periods. You need to be able to handle riding for long periods in other parts of your body - back, arms, hands, neck all get sore.

But most importantly, you need to have a metabolism that will allow you to do such a ride.

Long training rides, up to at least ~70% of the intended distance, are highly recommended.