Bike thief repents...

RonK

Bike thief repents...

Postby RonK » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Here's your bike back - and have a cake on me...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

russellgarrard

Re: Bike thief repents...

Postby russellgarrard » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Just graduated yet still can't spell! We are doomed!

Get into contact with the police, they can then give a copy of the note to the university, they will only have to look through the recent graduate list and compare handwriting. Then, prosecute offender :) Not to mention the fact she is a poor speller (she said she is female) and you've whittled down your graduates to half.

Basically:
Graduate
Female
Poor speller
Poor handwriting
Probably narrowed it down to 10% of the recent grads
Not to mention it's probably some dill who likes Dominos.
Plus she is as poor as dirt!

GO GET HER!

TTar

Postby TTar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:51 pm

Dominos viral marketing, I'd say.
Sent from my fortified compound

TTar

Postby TTar » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:57 pm

Also, one thing she can spell and punctuate correctly is "Domino's" .

One thing you never do is mess with the client's branding...

What do we think of the bike, though?
Sent from my fortified compound

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:01 pm

The spelling is fine. There's a couple of grammatical errors but nothing untoward. If it's not some viral advertising then i would say good on her for returning the bike.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Slvr32gtr

Postby Slvr32gtr » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:33 pm

Thats pretty funny and at least they were nice enough to return it.

"White girl wasted" is a common American saying and doesn't mean the person in question was female too by the way. Its like saying "I'm gonna get Nascar drunk!" and more just implies that the level of inebriation will be very high :P

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:43 pm

Free lava cake 'with' your next pizza purchase, so much for free.

Pax

Postby Pax » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:51 pm

Me thinks someone is taking the piss...

:D Domino voucher looks like it is for 2011 and includes April Fools Day (March 1 - April 11)...somehow I doubt that is is coincidence eh RonK ???? :wink:

....either that or you have been ripped off again.....

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:45 pm

Find 'em, hang 'em. Game over, move on.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:37 pm

Nice of her to hand the scoot back. As thanks, finish her quickly.

Bike thieves of any persuasion are all lowlife scum who deserve a slow, painful filtration from the gene pool.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:29 pm

Pax wrote:Me thinks someone is taking the piss...

:D Domino voucher looks like it is for 2011 and includes April Fools Day (March 1 - April 11)...somehow I doubt that is is coincidence eh RonK ???? :wink:

....either that or you have been ripped off again.....
Letter dates theft on April 20 so the voucher is expired too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:02 pm

Hergest wrote:The spelling is fine. There's a couple of grammatical errors but nothing untoward. If it's not some viral advertising then i would say good on her for returning the bike.
Try " theif". Remember i before e except after c ? (except in 'seize' ).

CB

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:48 pm

celeste boy wrote:
Hergest wrote:The spelling is fine. There's a couple of grammatical errors but nothing untoward. If it's not some viral advertising then i would say good on her for returning the bike.

CB
True, i missed that one. :oops:
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:49 pm

Not sure how she rode it if she was "white girl wasted". Sounds like bs to me, maybe an end of the school year prank. Maybe dunny paper is'nt funny anymore.

TTar

Postby TTar » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:09 am

Look, I know I probably shouldn't fixate on this, but I'm certain it's viral marketing and I'm gonna bore you with why;

1) You're Domino's and one of your biggest client demographics is drunken uni students and such, but as a "family" restaurant you can't advertise to them directly and you certainly can't endorse their mischievous behaviour. This "campaign" circumvents all that and brands Domino's as the jolly drunken reveler's pizza joint. A little like car companies which welcome hoons posting YouTube videos of their cars speeding -- they're prohibited from advertising one of their biggest selling points; speed, so they tacitly (or maybe overtly) support those sort of posts.

2) Where is this? A short anonymous nonspecific post on a breezy forum is not the act of someone who was fascinated enough by the return of their stolen bike to take pictures and make the story public. Would any of you have posted the same thing? I'd bet not. If it were me, I'd say as precisely as I could where and when it was stolen from and detail its return. I'd note any damage or the fact that it wasn't. I'd rabbit on about how I was stupid to have my bike stolen. I'd speculate about the thief and their motives. I'd wonder about when and how the thief returned the bike. I'd carefully examine the bike to see if there was any evidence telling me something about the thief etc etc etc.

3) As Slvr32gtr noted, "white girl wasted" doesn't necessarily mean the thief was female; (there's no reason why the thief couldn't be a black male), but the way this thing is constructed, we just know the thief is a ditzy, and probably cute, white girl. Equally, we know the theft victim is a young guy. And an easy going fella, athletic enough to zip around town on his sensible, but modestly hip bike who when it gets stolen doesn't flood the net with psychotic expressions of outrage and threats to eviscerate the thief like most of us would. Instead, he posts this easygoing "hey, check this out, guys" type message. What a charmer, eh? Sounds like the beginning of a really nauseating romantic comedy. Or an ad for Domino's...

4) "a lusciously smooth ride". Hmm. I won't be so crude as to mention what else this comment, coming from a drunk happy young woman enjoying a carefree night on the town could imply, but it does suggest she knows her bikes. So then you have to ask; what are the odds of the strapping young stud's bike "fitting" the young lady well enough for her to make that assessment, especially in her drunken state? The guy might have been a weedy little runt or the woman unusually large, but that would make the story far less romantic. Or maybe the thief was a black male -- be honest now, would any of you be as softhearted about this story if the thief was a black male? No, this yarn is too cute by half.

5) A quick google search indicates News Ltd papers in Australia were the only mainstream outlets to run with this story. It's not particularly relevant to the detective work here, but I think it's worth noting that the same outfit that beats up anti-cycling stories also publishes this fluff without any verification.

It's elementary my dear, Watsons.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:23 pm

celeste boy wrote:

CB
Except in lots of words. That old maxim officially doesn't apply anymore.
Not my circus, not my monkeys