Video Camera who uses one?

Summernight

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:30 am

Boognoss wrote:
Summernight wrote:I hope yours is replaced with a perfect one. My replacement hasn't been perfect although it has been better than the last one and it hasn't been bad enough to need another warranty query. Yet.
:(

Hmmmm, hopefully newer hardware will actually be resolved with new firmware releases rather than you having dud hardware again. Fingers crossed for me too....
Well, I think I spoke too soon - this morning the replacement GoPro Hero3 Black froze twice in a row. I started it to head out on the commute and it froze so I didn't have time to spend fiddling and decided that if I hit a red light I'd waste the time there. I hit a red light, pulled the camera out of the waterproof housing (it was raining BTW so I think I did a darn good job of protecting the camera with my body), pulled the battery bacpac off, reset the internal battery (why do they have the door housing the battery as a separate lose-able piece? Very silly), put the battery bacpac back on and replaced the camera back into the housing... Well it then froze on start up this second time and the traffic lights were changing so I had to leave it. There wasn't another opportunity to reset it again until I got to work. Not happy.
trailgumby wrote:Slide the bayonet clip out of the chest mount and put the tape on the base of the socket. With a sharp hobby knife, cut the tape either side of the centre spine so that the spine sticks through, and remove cut tape sliver. You want the tape to pack up the base ever so slighly. One layer may do it, I used two to be extra sure but it does require some force to extract.
Thank you. Much appreciated. I received the k-Edge handlebar mounts in the mail this morning so I'm switching it over to that anyway now. But that fix will certainly be useful for using the chest mount at other times.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:42 pm

Summernight, when you removed the Backpack was the rear light on the camera body either full or half-bright red? Is so that's what my returned unit did...... Bummer!
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 pm

Boognoss wrote:Summernight, when you removed the Backpack was the rear light on the camera body either full or half-bright red? Is so that's what my returned unit did...... Bummer!
Not sure. I can't seem to replicate it in the office (is it an overnight thing??). And mine isn't because the camera is hot - the camera hasn't been used for a good 12 hours when it has done it.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Summernight wrote:
Boognoss wrote:Summernight, when you removed the Backpack was the rear light on the camera body either full or half-bright red? Is so that's what my returned unit did...... Bummer!
Not sure. I can't seem to replicate it in the office (is it an overnight thing??). And mine isn't because the camera is hot - the camera hasn't been used for a good 12 hours when it has done it.
Don't you love variability like that! Before mine developed the hot-start freezing issue it occasionally froze on startup at any time. Not often though. Do you have the latest firmware installed on yours now? Guessing you do....
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Boognoss wrote:Don't you love variability like that! Before mine developed the hot-start freezing issue it occasionally froze on startup at any time. Not often though. Do you have the latest firmware installed on yours now? Guessing you do....
There's an update? :shock:

Didn't get an email about that new update from the start of April. So no, I didn't have it installed. Doing so now. Would have been nice to have been sent an email by GoPro about it - or they could have posted it on their Facebook page that a new update was out.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Summernight wrote:
Boognoss wrote:Don't you love variability like that! Before mine developed the hot-start freezing issue it occasionally froze on startup at any time. Not often though. Do you have the latest firmware installed on yours now? Guessing you do....
There's an update? :shock:

Didn't get an email about that new update from the start of April. So no, I didn't have it installed. Doing so now. Would have been nice to have been sent an email by GoPro about it - or they could have posted it on their Facebook page that a new update was out.
Yep, but the only way I found out about the beta was a mention on this or Gopro-specific forums I think (that was V2.36 beta). When troubleshooting with the GoPro tech he pointed me to that first. Then during the back and forth email process V2.37 was released which I also tried. For the release version it was just via the link on the GoPro.com front page but there's nothing at all on the site to indicate that it's new at all. Annoying all round that.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Well, the new start up icon is actually nice, IMO. The update says to put in a blank SD card but I didn't bother - just left in the one I had without deleting what was already on there or taking a photo - it seemed fine with that. Although I had to re-do all my settings (PAL, 720p etc etc)

On a related note I installed the k-Edge handlebar mount on my bike - I tried both of the mounts on the bike at lunch but liked the look of the non-pro mount (the smaller one) as I think it'll show the right brifter and my hand more than the 'pro' one. Trying to get the GoPro housing into the mount was tight - I've shaved a bit of the plastic off the connecting point trying to wedge it into the metal mount (when sliding it backwards and forwards to fit). Was it that tight for others?

Just got to tie the cables up so they don't block the footage but I probably would have had to do that anyway with the 'pro' mount as my cables stick out a fair bit.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:49 pm

Summernight wrote:Well, the new start up icon is actually nice, IMO. The update says to put in a blank SD card but I didn't bother - just left in the one I had without deleting what was already on there or taking a photo - it seemed fine with that. Although I had to re-do all my settings (PAL, 720p etc etc)

On a related note I installed the k-Edge handlebar mount on my bike - I tried both of the mounts on the bike at lunch but liked the look of the non-pro mount (the smaller one) as I think it'll show the right brifter and my hand more than the 'pro' one. Trying to get the GoPro housing into the mount was tight - I've shaved a bit of the plastic off the connecting point trying to wedge it into the metal mount (when sliding it backwards and forwards to fit). Was it that tight for others?

Just got to tie the cables up so they don't block the footage but I probably would have had to do that anyway with the 'pro' mount as my cables stick out a fair bit.
Agree RE the startup icon. At least that tells you what firmware version you're running, if GoPro don't tell anyone when they're available....... ;)

Yep, I have 3 of the K-Edge Pro mounts (one for each bike - now I just need an enclosure for each to be completely lazy when I switch bikes) and each one is tighter than tight. I guess that's part of how it's such a solid interface and prevents vibration.

Edit: Just updated the firmware on my Hero 3 White (perhaps against better judgement since it was rock solid before) to V1.10. Now it gets the nifty start up icon with it's firmware version. Other than that no difference in the menus at least. I also tried leaving video on the SD Card due to couldn't-be-bothered factor and it worked fine too. Video is still on there afterwards. Win.
Last edited by Boognoss on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Hero 3 White info

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:54 pm

Yep. I've given the gopros a little shave when mounting them for the first time.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:05 pm

The GoPro didn't freeze on start-up this morning. Win!

Although I think it froze when I plugged it into the computer (which it has done previously on multiple occasions). But at least I'm not riding in traffic having to pull it out of the housing to fix it up. I can cope with freezing on connection with the computer, just not freezing on start-up for a ride.
Boognoss wrote:Yep, I have 3 of the K-Edge Pro mounts (one for each bike - now I just need an enclosure for each to be completely lazy when I switch bikes) and each one is tighter than tight. I guess that's part of how it's such a solid interface and prevents vibration.
Oh my gods. You are a genius! I always remove the housing from the mount when taking it off the bike. Leaving the housing on and not bothering with unscrewing... :shock: Best idea ever! :P

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:47 am

Summernight wrote:The GoPro didn't freeze on start-up this morning. Win!

Although I think it froze when I plugged it into the computer (which it has done previously on multiple occasions). But at least I'm not riding in traffic having to pull it out of the housing to fix it up. I can cope with freezing on connection with the computer, just not freezing on start-up for a ride.
Boognoss wrote:Yep, I have 3 of the K-Edge Pro mounts (one for each bike - now I just need an enclosure for each to be completely lazy when I switch bikes) and each one is tighter than tight. I guess that's part of how it's such a solid interface and prevents vibration.
Oh my gods. You are a genius! I always remove the housing from the mount when taking it off the bike. Leaving the housing on and not bothering with unscrewing... :shock: Best idea ever! :P
Yay for a minor win ;).

Genius for the idea, not for the lack of $$$ to make that master plan come true yet. The KEdge mounts cost enough themselves.....

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi all, would you buy a GoPro silver from Kogan? they advertise them as international stock but are selling for $259.
Would it be worth the non aussie edition for the saving? I wonder how the waranty would go. my guess is that it would be through Kogan not Gopro.

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:24 pm

PB12IN wrote:Hi all, would you buy a GoPro silver from Kogan? they advertise them as international stock but are selling for $259.
Would it be worth the non aussie edition for the saving? I wonder how the waranty would go. my guess is that it would be through Kogan not Gopro.
My opinion is spend more on local stock for local support. I have had problems with go pro and contour cameras but always get instant replacements when they encounter issues.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:14 pm

Koran grey import a lot of their stuff too...
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:29 am

Summernight wrote:
And that is why I didn't take the GoPro out with me today. Too lazy to change the housing over - especially as the screws for the K-Edge are so bad that they fray by just looking them.

--

One tip I have to share, when using the GoPro camera case with the vented back, I have put tape on the left and right side of the camera so that in case of sudden rain I can then tape over the vents at the back. I havn't used this yet though.
Cycling is in my BNA

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:37 am

AUbicycles wrote:And that is why I didn't take the GoPro out with me today. Too lazy to change the housing over - especially as the screws for the K-Edge are so bad that they fray by just looking them.
The screws fray? :shock:

Are you talking about the screw that comes with the mount to attach the housing?

I switched mine for the GoPro screw with the handle for ease of removal after the commute. If its another screw that might fail maybe I should put the lanyard back on. I was enjoying not having to deal with a lanyard. :D

And I don't find changing the housing from waterproof to skeleton and back too much of a hassle - I can do it with the housing still screwed into the K-edge mount which does make things easier. I just leave the other backdoor in my handbag which goes everywhere with me anyway.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:59 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Too lazy to change the housing over - especially as the screws for the K-Edge are so bad that they fray by just looking them.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just leave the waterproof casing attached to the kedge and change the rear door depending on the conditions (rain/sun).
Summernight wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:And that is why I didn't take the GoPro out with me today. Too lazy to change the housing over - especially as the screws for the K-Edge are so bad that they fray by just looking them.
The screws fray? :shock:

Are you talking about the screw that comes with the mount to attach the housing?

I switched mine for the GoPro screw with the handle for ease of removal after the commute. If its another screw that might fail maybe I should put the lanyard back on. I was enjoying not having to deal with a lanyard. :D

And I don't find changing the housing from waterproof to skeleton and back too much of a hassle - I can do it with the housing still screwed into the K-edge mount which does make things easier. I just leave the other backdoor in my handbag which goes everywhere with me anyway.
The screw that comes with the kedge mounts. The screw is fine. That will never fail. What will fail is the screw head in a way that you will eventually strip the area by tightening/losening it. Eventually the screw head becomes a perfect circle.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:The screw that comes with the kedge mounts. The screw is fine. That will never fail. What will fail is the screw head in a way that you will eventually strip the area by tightening/losening it. Eventually the screw head becomes a perfect circle.
Oh. That's not good. Maybe I'll stick to the Go-Pro's screw then as that doesn't require metal on metal contact to unscrew.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Summernight wrote:
darkelf921 wrote:
darkelf921 wrote: My replacement has also worked flawlessly. I also did the update straight away.

I spoke too soon. It may have charging problems as well <sigh>
That's not good. :cry:

What exactly seems to be wrong with it this time?
I've had one freeze since I got the replacement camera. Also, the battery time doesn't seem to correctly reflect the actual amount of time left in the camera, although I've attached the battery bacpac now so don't have to fuss over it as much.
The problem seems to have gone. I totally drained the battery a couple of times and the charging hasn't had a problem since. I also upgraded the firmware and the camera is working perfectly.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:01 pm

From another thread.

Several weeks ago I bought an Action Camera, and mounted it on the back of my trike, just behind my left shoulder. The camera works well, but there is too much road vibe, so I tried to mount it on my helmet. It just doesn't seem to be going anywhere. According to the manual, all the bits are there.

However, although the manual makes no mention of how to actually use the mount it seems to me that the camera sits on the sliding tongue with the clip - that's fine - and the ball on the other end should sit on top of the socket. And the knurled nut should screw down to clamp the ball joint firmly. However the hole in the knurled nut is too big to hold the ball. Does anybody have any experience with this sort of mounting?

Thanks,

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:13 pm

Summernight wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:The screw that comes with the kedge mounts. The screw is fine. That will never fail. What will fail is the screw head in a way that you will eventually strip the area by tightening/losening it. Eventually the screw head becomes a perfect circle.
Oh. That's not good. Maybe I'll stick to the Go-Pro's screw then as that doesn't require metal on metal contact to unscrew.
Unless you use a screwdriver :lol:

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Joeblake wrote:From another thread.

Several weeks ago I bought an Action Camera, and mounted it on the back of my trike, just behind my left shoulder. The camera works well, but there is too much road vibe, so I tried to mount it on my helmet. It just doesn't seem to be going anywhere. According to the manual, all the bits are there.

However, although the manual makes no mention of how to actually use the mount it seems to me that the camera sits on the sliding tongue with the clip - that's fine - and the ball on the other end should sit on top of the socket. And the knurled nut should screw down to clamp the ball joint firmly. However the hole in the knurled nut is too big to hold the ball. Does anybody have any experience with this sort of mounting?

Thanks,

Joe
Joe - is that an RD32II ? I have one and it looks the same.

Rather than explain, just watch Techmoan's video review of the mounts here: http://youtu.be/d-pXZFZaQys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:12 am

Excellent, thanks for that. I didn't want to force the ball into the socket, in case it broke, but having applied sufficient force, it works as it should.

I just wish they'd put instructions with the thing.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:58 pm

Received my warranty replacement GoPro Hero3 Black on Friday and played with it for the first time today. So far so good with my turning back on issue with this new hardware but the true test will be some commuting hours this week.

Also when updating to current firmware I noted that its now up to 2.39 from about a week ago (vs 2.37 which was released about a month ago).

Link to firmware info for those interested: http://gopro.com/support/articles/firmw ... nformation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:48 pm

So are the new GoPro Hero3 replacements, or recently purchased models now working without freezing?
It is still a healthy investment for a camera that doesn't always work. Were there any differences between the different editions?

Would be interesting to see purchase month/year and if you have had a problem - and it can be shown that newer cameras are error free. If you want to play ball, this format could work

2012 December - errors
2013 March - fine (replacement camera)

Would be interesting to see if there is a definit trend.
Cycling is in my BNA