Dry diggings track(castlemaine-daylesford)

maxknott

Dry diggings track(castlemaine-daylesford)

Postby maxknott » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:51 pm

does anyone have any recent experience with this track??
was planning to train to castlemaine,then ride my VWR to daylesford,spend the night then head to woodend.
plan is to leave on 7.15 train tomorrow morning, and make it to daylesford before dark(or bush camp along the way),then ride to
an afternoon train back to melbourne.
from the little research i have done,this track looks good and do-able on a tourer.
obviously i wont be carrying much weight,just food and water for a day;minimal camping gear and one of these on my back
[img][IMG]http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/1553/maxmadride.jpg[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Mike Ayling

Re: Dry diggings track(castlemaine-daylesford)

Postby Mike Ayling » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:25 am

I don't think Fido will be allowed on the train unless he is in a secure pet container.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

maxknott

Postby maxknott » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:27 pm

fido has his own collapsible cage that travels in an ortlieb packrack.
tried this trail,got about 2 k's in,turned back,definatley not doable with 700cc tyres :cry:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:20 pm

It's a nicer ride done travelling from Daylesford to Castlemaine in my opinion. Skip the first bit through the gorge near Daylesford (signed no bikes iirc) and ride down to Hepburn Springs and up the hill to Golden Spring to join the trail. Great morning tea spot at The Chocolate Mill, right by the trail at the Midland Hwy, Mt Franklin.

Sections may be a real challenge for the VWR, especially riding along the old water race formations. Do not carry panniers...... I'm serious, you WILL hook trees (ask Leon at club :wink: ). When I've done this I have stayed at accomodation at Daylesford/Hepburn and just carried gear in a rackbag and handlebar bag. There was a YHA there, there is good low-cost accomodation at the Boomerang Holiday Ranch

[edit] Ah, I see you will have done it by now :oops: How did you go?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

maxknott

Postby maxknott » Wed May 01, 2013 3:57 pm

found the trail too hard loaded on the VWR, turned back after a few k's. definately one track for the future, but on a mtb and probably without the furry passenger :wink:

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:56 pm

I know this thread is long dead, but I thought I would add my 2c anyway.

I've also ridden this track, and my view is that this is an MTB track, and even then not one for the newbs.

I've given my thoughts on this track over at Rotorburn, and the whole thread is worth a read for those interested.

E