Anyone do the Albany Creek Bike Shop ride?

Pax

Anyone do the Albany Creek Bike Shop ride?

Postby Pax » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:12 am

I used to ride with Duttons / Redcliffe Tri Club and occasionally Zupps (OK...I couldn't hold Zupps when they really hammered :oops:...and I would definitely die if I tried in my current state of un-fitness). Following my long break from the bike, I am looking to get back in with a northside bunch.

Has anyone done the shop rides from Avanti Plus at Albany Creek? If so how were they? They seem to have an interesting set of rides on their calendar. Thinking I'll try the intermediate group soon, then work up to the advanced one as I get fitness back.

Any experiences??

Pax

Re: Anyone do the Albany Creek Bike Shop ride?

Postby Pax » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Nothing??

The good news is that I rang them today and the phone experience was excellent, very welcoming and very encouraging. Glad to hear that Howard is still at the shop (owner I believe), I've had dealings with him since the mid 80s when he was at Lifecycle in town and have always found him excellent.

Looking forward to riding tomorrow :)

Still keen to hear of anyone's experiences with this shop's rides

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:05 pm

I used to do their MTB rides about 13 years ago. Nobody did road back then.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Pax wrote:Glad to hear that Howard is still at the shop (owner I believe), I've had dealings with him since the mid 80s when he was at Lifecycle in town and have always found him excellent.
Howard bought the shop from owner Blair of Lifecycle, a bloody long time ago now. Haven't had any dealings since I moved away from the area (I lived at Clear Mtn) in the mid '90's.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Pax

Postby Pax » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:56 pm

Well, that was fun!

First ride on the road bike in over two years, joined the intermediate group. Home to home it was just 66k for a 25 average, but god it was fun to be back in a group ride. It was a really enjoyable pace with just a few hills to test the out-of-practise legs AND the group was very friendly and welcoming.

I recon I'll be back next week...not sure if I'll go for the faster group just yet, but I won't be able to resist for long :) .

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Pax wrote:Well, that was fun!

First ride on the road bike in over two years, joined the intermediate group. Home to home it was just 66k for a 25 average, but god it was fun to be back in a group ride. It was a really enjoyable pace with just a few hills to test the out-of-practise legs AND the group was very friendly and welcoming.

I recon I'll be back next week...not sure if I'll go for the faster group just yet, but I won't be able to resist for long :) .
Good to hear all went well :) I would expect Howard to do the right thing as he's been around a while & his sons are into the MTB scene as well.

When I saw the "Albany Creek" ride reference I immediately thought of the long gone MTB all in Saturday morning ride which always ended in a big breakfast at the cafe or a steak pie. The choice was tough.

If you're after a great group of riders the Samford Velo's do a regular ride Saturday & Sunday mornings with a choice of the faster (earlier group) or more moderate group half an hour later.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:37 pm

ZepinAtor wrote: When I saw the "Albany Creek" ride reference I immediately thought of the long gone MTB all in Saturday morning ride which always ended in a big breakfast at the cafe or a steak pie. The choice was tough.
Ah. The sweet memories.

Pax

Postby Pax » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:18 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
Good to hear all went well :) I would expect Howard to do the right thing as he's been around a while & his sons are into the MTB scene as well.

When I saw the "Albany Creek" ride reference I immediately thought of the long gone MTB all in Saturday morning ride which always ended in a big breakfast at the cafe or a steak pie. The choice was tough.

If you're after a great group of riders the Samford Velo's do a regular ride Saturday & Sunday mornings with a choice of the faster (earlier group) or more moderate group half an hour later.
Yes, thanks for that. I have thought about checking out the Velos sometime soon too. I see that next weekend the only ride listed is the "House and Garden"...sounds like a very welcoming ride but is only 33 k (mind you by the time I ride there and back it would be more like 75 k including Eaton's Crossing Road, which has a few good hills from memory....hmmmm maybe that'd be a good morning out).

Howard is good value IMO, I've bought a few bikes from him over the years. One of his sons led the group I rode with this morning and we got to have a good long talk as we were on the homeward leg of the loop. I really liked his attitude to the group and to why he likes working in the cycling industry.

ZepinAtor, have you done this "house and Garden ride"?

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:22 pm

Pax wrote: ZepinAtor, have you done this "house and Garden ride"?
Yes many many times indeed, but not too often lately as I've been racing most Saturdays with HPRW.

On the first Saturday of every month the House & Garden ride is the joining of the slower & faster groups in an all in social ride in & around the Samford Valley.

The group can swell to 30+ at times of mostly 40yo+ riders, but don't let the average age fool you as they hit the pace very hard on certain segments. The difference with this ride as apposed to others is that they will stop at about 4 regular intervals to re-group & chat with a final all out sprint for the last 5km including the famous ascent of the back side of the Samford Range (optional) finishing outside the church just before Main Street Samford Village. They then take over the Samford Patisserie for an after ride coffee & chat before making their way home like yourself usually back over the range or Eatons Crossing Road. Ends up being about 65km for myself.

It can be a leisurely 33km or a TT/sprint/rest/chat type of ride. It's entirely up to you as the group is varied on the first ride of the month. Most rides after that are usually the typical format of steady & social with a pace above 25km/hr with distances from 40km-100km building up to their annual memorial ride of 160km coming up in July/August.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Pax

Postby Pax » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:49 am

Thanks for the great info ZepinAtor.

Sounds like a good group, I'll definitely try it out sometime soon.