New Red Zone 8 light

Coolabah

Re: New Red Zone 8 light

Postby Coolabah » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Magnum9 wrote:It isn't about brightness, but visibility. All the narrow super flash type lights are only visibly at a narrow angle from behind. The RZ lights are visible at 90 degrees either side of the bike and create a pool of light on the ground all around the bike.
Good point. I seem to leave home at the same time as a lot of tradies and with all due respect and apologies for the stereotype , but my personal experience with them as a whole but of course with exceptions is that they are less inclined to care about me on the road. There, I said it but am happy to re-calculate the data, and I know "tradies" also ride bikes so maybe I could have phrased this all some other way . How about I just say " utes carrying ladders and pipes or conduit" ??. There is this one long uphill stretch on my commute where a large number of utes/trucks head ( I guess up to the plumbing & electrical supply shops up the road which are just about to open ? ) .When I first started commuting , I had a very small cateye rear light ( 2032 battery or similar ) and I was getting buzzed with cm's to spare by more than 50% of every vehicle passing me ( actually a quiet road , so maybe 1 vehicle every 30 seconds). So , like 5 times a day up this hill, Scary stuff.

Solution 1 ) Bought RZ 4 , all of a sudden because I looked bigger to approaching vehicle, I was given 0.5-1 metres 100% of the time. Not a single close buzz from day one.

Solution 2 ) Bought RZ 8 .... all of a sudden they are crossing double lines to overtake in the opposite traffic lane !!

So , am I using up valuable Karma points by using the RZ 8 ?? Am I blinding approaching traffic ???

Dunno. Tell me if I am doing wrong here. But I no longer dread this hill so much for the risks ( perceived or otherwise )

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:19 pm

Very few tradies have any sort of problems with their vision :roll:

Other problems OTOH......
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:46 pm

I sometimes experience err... difficulties with that demographic of driver as well. :|

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:24 pm

Ross wrote:I sometimes experience err... difficulties with that demographic of driver as well. :|
You should see them down my way. There are to sets of lights that its the exception for them to stop at. Even when they have been red for nearly a minute they dont even slow down
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

kb

Postby kb » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:54 pm

Coolabah wrote: ...
2) Brightness- you can actually choose to not run it on full power- factory spec settings are low flash, non flash, full power flash & I suspect you can program changes to this- once instructions available.
I have a manual. Can't remember where from. It's pretty much the same setup as the RZ4 but with an easier button. Google drive link:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1OoXl6 ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[Edit: or tiny url .../rz8man (forum spam filter seems a bit unhappy with that as a link)]

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:13 pm

kb wrote:
Coolabah wrote: ...
2) Brightness- you can actually choose to not run it on full power- factory spec settings are low flash, non flash, full power flash & I suspect you can program changes to this- once instructions available.
I have a manual. Can't remember where from. It's pretty much the same setup as the RZ4 but with an easier button. Google drive link:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1OoXl6 ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[Edit: or tiny url .../rz8man (forum spam filter seems a bit unhappy with that as a link)]
Nice find ! Thanks very much for the link , I might actually now play around with the settings a bit..... however , for my purposes the factory settings are currently pretty near to my needs. Having said that , near enough is never good enough !!!

nigel1963

Postby nigel1963 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:46 pm

I have used the Redzone 8 for a couple of days in each of last two weeks. It is so bright when strobing on brightest standard mode that I'm concerned that it will stuff the night vision of a close motorist. In part because of this, I've mounted as shown, facing downwards. Tube is from a dinghy tiller extension, cable tied to the seat rails. Pretty happy with the light, it makes a bright pool of light.

The supplied velcro strap is quite long so that for the small tube I have used I have to ensure that the maximum velco overlap is made. The light tends to rotate down a little with road vibration, if the cable ties were not under light the endcaps I'm sure this would not occur.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93274691@N ... hotostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:18 pm

VRE wrote:Let's hope it works better than the Red Zone 4. I bought one of those, and a few months later it started switching modes erratically, and then refused to turn off. Not impressed.
I went through 4 of them in less than 12 months with exactly the same problem.

To their credit they did replace it free of charge each time (sans the return postage which I had to foot the bill for), but in the end the poor reliability was just too much for me to deal with.

It was a shame too, because - while it worked - it was easily the best rear light that I've ever seen/used in my life.

Still undecided whether I want to try my luck again with the RZ 8?

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:09 pm

DavidTomic wrote:
VRE wrote:Let's hope it works better than the Red Zone 4. I bought one of those, and a few months later it started switching modes erratically, and then refused to turn off. Not impressed.
I went through 4 of them in less than 12 months with exactly the same problem.

To their credit they did replace it free of charge each time (sans the return postage which I had to foot the bill for), but in the end the poor reliability was just too much for me to deal with.

It was a shame too, because - while it worked - it was easily the best rear light that I've ever seen/used in my life.

Still undecided whether I want to try my luck again with the RZ 8?
Similar problems but at least the last one has worked well so far.

Did do a random turn on recently and made the car park at work look like a brothel. This has me worried as this is generally a sign that its about to fail based on past experience.
James

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:16 pm

nigel1963 wrote:I have used the Redzone 8 for a couple of days in each of last two weeks. It is so bright when strobing on brightest standard mode that I'm concerned that it will stuff the night vision of a close motorist. In part because of this, I've mounted as shown, facing downwards. Tube is from a dinghy tiller extension, cable tied to the seat rails. Pretty happy with the light, it makes a bright pool of light.

The supplied velcro strap is quite long so that for the small tube I have used I have to ensure that the maximum velco overlap is made. The light tends to rotate down a little with road vibration, if the cable ties were not under light the endcaps I'm sure this would not occur.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93274691@N ... hotostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nigel,
Did you have any trouble getting the darn thing?
I've been waiting quite a while since placing an order and no news, emails or otherwise on progress.

Cheers
Time

nigel1963

Postby nigel1963 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Time,
I ordered 17 Feb, received an update email 25 Feb advising of several weeks delay, after a prompt another update on 1 April and received light on 8 April. New product supply can be a challenge!
One end cap has a small partial thickness cut, my email requesting a replacement has not yet been responded to.
Build quality appears quite good. Im happy with the light, if the are no issues after a couple of months i will probably get another.
Cheers

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:29 pm

Cheers Nigel,

Will continue my vigil...

Not concerned about the product - looks to be fantastic - just getting a wee bit impatient.

Cheers

Time

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:59 pm

I've used my RZ8 a handful of times which was a warrenty replacement after my RZ4 died. Overall i feel that it's a lot brighter than the 4 though I'm not overly keen on their mounting solution. Would much prefer a cateye like mount. Also miss the 'indestructible' resin block design of the first model.

I questioned David why the RZ4 had failed and he said most probably due to chemicals on the road seeping through though assured me that this has been fixed.

Time will tell I guess though in my view, it's the best rear light I've owned/come across.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm

NhiTrac wrote:
Time will tell I guess though in my view, it's the best rear light I've owned/come across.

+1 !!

kb

Postby kb » Wed May 01, 2013 7:51 pm

nigel1963 wrote: One end cap has a small partial thickness cut, my email requesting a replacement has not yet been responded to.
That's by design. Mentioned in the manual to help the air release when pushing the cap on (I'm assuming it's on the charge side).

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Thu May 02, 2013 8:23 pm

For those of you who have already ordered them, what's the going rate on the RZ 8's t the moment?

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri May 03, 2013 9:45 am

Therebis no way I would trust one of these lights.

After 3 RZ4 replacements the last one just died after its first wet ride this winter.

After 2 weeks I have not heard peep from the email I sent in regards to the latest failure.
James

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri May 03, 2013 10:55 am

I want to support Niteflex, I really do as there's not many Aussie companies out there giving it a go. However I'll forever be wary of them after my experience with their Visionstick front light range which I tried a while back. Must've been through about five replacement warranty batteries before I finally asked for a refund. The RZ8 looks great in theory (although I'm not keen on the lack of mounting options), but methinks I'll wait to see what the reports are on their longevity.

Now if Ay-up developed a dedicated rear light (don't like the saxon cap setup as it's tricky to mount the lightset somewhere on the back), I'd be all over that in a second. Without a doubt the best bike accessory I've purchased.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

zero

Postby zero » Fri May 03, 2013 5:56 pm

jcjordan wrote:Therebis no way I would trust one of these lights.

After 3 RZ4 replacements the last one just died after its first wet ride this winter.

After 2 weeks I have not heard peep from the email I sent in regards to the latest failure.
I did really like niteflux, and I've had 2 sets over 8 years. Took 5+ weeks to replace my battery and cable - and that was a purchase, not warranty. The head units switch died long ago, I turn it off by yanking the cable.

IMO they are doing everything to order, and have little or no inventory present, and don't bother to communicate until they've got positive news or you bug them repeatedly. Makes for a poor purchasing or warranty experience unless you happen to coincide with whenever they've got enough orders paid for to go pay their suppliers or whatever.

I have had a planet superflash last 5+ years on my mountain bike because its directly above the mudguard and stays dry - and I always ride in the wet. if I was trying to resolve the RZ dilemma, I'd be looking to interrupt the flow of water onto them - away from the final seal - same principle as a labyrinth seal. For whatever reason, rear wheel water seems nastier than front wheel water or rain on the front bar light.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri May 03, 2013 6:12 pm

zero wrote:
jcjordan wrote:Therebis no way I would trust one of these lights.

I did really like niteflux, and I've had 2 sets over 8 years. Took 5+ weeks to replace my battery and cable - and that was a purchase, not warranty. The head units switch died long ago, I turn it off by yanking the cable.

IMO they are doing everything to order, and have little or no inventory present, and don't bother to communicate until they've got positive news or you bug them repeatedly. Makes for a poor purchasing or warranty experience unless you happen to coincide with whenever they've got enough orders paid for to go pay their suppliers or whatever.

I have had a planet superflash last 5+ years on my mountain bike because its directly above the mudguard and stays dry - and I always ride in the wet. if I was trying to resolve the RZ dilemma, I'd be looking to interrupt the flow of water onto them - away from the final seal - same principle as a labyrinth seal. For whatever reason, rear wheel water seems nastier than front wheel water or rain on the front bar light.
So what your saying is that I should accept poor customer service and a product that does not meet advertised capabilities all because they are a small Australia company.

Bollocks. I will continue to state my dissatisfaction and puchase a product that does what I want.
James

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 03, 2013 6:58 pm

jcjordan wrote:So what your saying is that...
Was he? :shock:

My RZ4 has given no trouble to date mounted on the post of my commuter but I wish you blokes had've jumped up when I asked about them months back.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri May 03, 2013 7:30 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
jcjordan wrote:So what your saying is that...
Was he? :shock:

My RZ4 has given no trouble to date mounted on the post of my commuter but I wish you blokes had've jumped up when I asked about them months back.
Sounded like he did.

I am sure there was a thread somewhere anbout the RZ4 where I outlinrd my disappointment wthe the unit.
James

zero

Postby zero » Fri May 03, 2013 8:16 pm

jcjordan wrote:
So what your saying is that I should accept poor customer service and a product that does not meet advertised capabilities all because they are a small Australia company.

Bollocks. I will continue to state my dissatisfaction and puchase a product that does what I want.
Nope I'm saying that even as a repeat customer purchasing a straightforward part that they've made for years I had a poor experience. It's hard to reconcile that service with a $120 battery (massive premium price). I ordered $150 of parts from c r c a few days later and it took 3 days to arrive, stark contrast.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:56 am

Still waiting for my order....this is getting silly.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:38 am

Timeonabike wrote:Still waiting for my order....this is getting silly.
4 emails in regards to my request for a warranty replacement again.

Give up, light is in the bin and I will never touch these guys again
James