Mt Coot-tha training

marinmomma

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby marinmomma » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:57 pm

michaelten wrote:A bell? Are they serious?

Have they been there in the afternoon/night?
Is there nothing better for the QPS to do???? :roll:
Lisa

RobM

Postby RobM » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:52 am

While i do think this is petty and a waste of police time...if cyclists simply had a bell fitted & didnt speed down the front side then the police would probably move on to more productive things. And that would be 2 less things for the Courier Mail to write about or motorists to accuse us of.

Fact of the matter is that the law asks us to put a bell on - okay so its silly...but for $5 is it really worth the large fine and media mudslinging?
If we want motorists to abide by the same set of road rules, we have to at least make an effort to do the same.

Anyways, dont want to make this into a road rule/bell/police rant.

Lets get out riding and enjoy this great weather we have been having.

Safe cycling.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:59 am

Dimma wrote:Someone I know copped $44 fine for no bell, and a court summons for the speeding (AT) 64km/h
Keep us posted on the speeding thing.

Why a court summons and not just a ticket? If this is successful this will be the first speeding fine for a bike rider I've ever seen prosecuted.

As there is no legal requirement for us to have a calibrated speedo its going to be awkward.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:12 am

For sure, all he was told is that you can't be issued an on the spot fine for speeding on a bicycle.
No idea when he has to front court haven't caught up with him.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:29 am

Dimma wrote:For sure, all he was told is that you can't be issued an on the spot fine for speeding on a bicycle.
No idea when he has to front court haven't caught up with him.
See my reply in the commuting thread. They were out booking bikes for running a stop sign (its stupid... Everyone runs it!). Anyway, they brought a camera crew with them as well.

Looks like they want to be seen to be doing something. I suspect your mate has been selected to be an example. :o

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:54 pm

Starting to get a little obsessed with Cootha after the last couple of weeks.

Feb - 10.25 on my old Fondriest.
Feb, same week - 9.49 on my Tarmac (2kg lighter than the Fondy).

Didn't ride Cootha for ages, but did lots of bunch rides with people who're faster than me.

Two weeks ago - 9.06.
Last week - 8.39

Really want to get sub 8.30 but I think I'm going to struggle. Felt absolutely destroyed after that last one. Been told by my wife not to lose any more weight, :( sooo any further gains...are going to hurt, I think. Considering doing an additional Cootha per week on commute with a backpack on, hopefully that might help. Any other ideas on good training welcome...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:58 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Starting to get a little obsessed with Cootha after the last couple of weeks.

Feb - 10.25 on my old Fondriest.
Feb, same week - 9.49 on my Tarmac (2kg lighter than the Fondy).

Didn't ride Cootha for ages, but did lots of bunch rides with people who're faster than me.

Two weeks ago - 9.06.
Last week - 8.39

Really want to get sub 8.30 but I think I'm going to struggle. Felt absolutely destroyed after that last one. Been told by my wife not to lose any more weight, :( sooo any further gains...are going to hurt, I think. Considering doing an additional Cootha per week on commute with a backpack on, hopefully that might help. Any other ideas on good training welcome...
Keep doing what you're doing - exceptional times.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:00 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Considering doing an additional Cootha on commute with a backpack on, hopefully that might help. Any other ideas on good training welcome...
8:39 is an excellent time Geoff (bloody faster than me :evil: )
a lot of my rides up coot-tha are done on my flat bar with a backpack on. has definitely helped improve my time. so heavy bike + backpack = good training.

I commute via coot-tha at least once a week

well done again, you bugger

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:08 pm

Thanks guys, sounds like the backpack idea is a goer. Not using my heavy bike (MTB with slicks) though, hell with that! :lol:
Veloviewer

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed May 01, 2013 7:49 am

8:32 this morning, so much pain and three seconds shy of the goal :evil: :lol:

Still, a lovely morning, and a slight improvement.
Veloviewer

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun May 05, 2013 10:10 am

All smiles this morning:

http://app.strava.com/activities/52367822" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Veloviewer

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sun May 05, 2013 10:52 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:All smiles this morning:

http://app.strava.com/activities/52367822" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kudos!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun May 05, 2013 10:54 am

Dimma wrote:

Kudos!
+1

still jealous

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun May 05, 2013 11:04 am

Thanks guys. I tried riding it with a backpack on Thursday btw Jason, was only 4kg (yes, I was sad enough to weigh it) but damn it made a difference! Added a minute or so on, and just made it feel hard to breathe as deeply as normal, somehow. I will try to keep adding those backpack rides in when I can (going to be difficult this week), cos it feels so nice riding the next time without!
Veloviewer

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon May 06, 2013 7:15 am

Well done!

Out of interest, what age bracket are you and how long have you been riding for?

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon May 06, 2013 8:57 am

Hey Comedian, I'm 31. Rode MTBs in my teens, then packed it in for the pub. :oops: Been riding a bit in the last few years, but was a bit off and on until I got back from holidays last August fat and unfit, and decided to do something about it. Then ended up joining some bunch rides (I'd never done that before), and they really kicked my butt hahaha. They gave me some motivation so I've been trying to do more ever since.
Veloviewer

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon May 06, 2013 10:40 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Hey Comedian, I'm 31. Rode MTBs in my teens, then packed it in for the pub. :oops: Been riding a bit in the last few years, but was a bit off and on until I got back from holidays last August fat and unfit, and decided to do something about it. Then ended up joining some bunch rides (I'd never done that before), and they really kicked my butt hahaha. They gave me some motivation so I've been trying to do more ever since.
Great stuff. Keep it up and sort them next Cootha challenge. 8:22 is an awesome time.

From what i can see being young is a very big help. If you do the work you get results far quicker than older riders.

I've seen people in their late 20's go from not ridden in ten years to high 7's in six months. :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 06, 2013 12:18 pm

Comedian wrote:I've seen people in their late 20's go from not ridden in ten years to high 7's in six months. :)
well foo them. :oops:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon May 06, 2013 5:55 pm

Comedian wrote:I've seen people in their late 20's go from not ridden in ten years to high 7's in six months. :)
It probably helps that they only way 62kg dripping wet, and have no family or responsibilities that allow them to train 400+km a week guilt free. If most of us had this available to us we would all be a lot faster going up hills.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon May 06, 2013 7:02 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
It probably helps that they only way 62kg dripping wet, and have no family or responsibilities that allow them to train 400+km a week guilt free. If most of us had this available to us we would all be a lot faster going up hills.
The particular person I'm thinking of there is light for sure... which helps. I'm pretty light for my size too, and I do more distance, and more climbing than he does. Anyway... that's my just my observation. :)

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon May 06, 2013 7:26 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
62kg - check. 400km/week - lately, check, just about. Late 20's...umm...dammit! :lol:
Veloviewer

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon May 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Out of curiosity, what sort of cadences are people using? My old Fondriest had a standard crank (and came with 11-23, ouch!) and I ran it with a 11-25. When I got the Tarmac it came with Compact and 11-25. Definitely made life a lot easier, I prefer to keep the cadence high, and I still briefly hit 34/25 at the moment, when the road steepens at the second last bend (then I stand for a bit, sit for a bit, stand for a bit, sit for a bit, and stand and sprint from the ch10 kink in the road to the top).

Is there any way Strava can give average cadence for a segment? I would imagine I average 80+?
Veloviewer

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Mon May 06, 2013 10:24 pm

Interesting thread this one - curious to read about other's experience with the pain that is Cootha. It's one place that I've noticed the adage of 'it doesn't get easier, you just get faster' rings very true!

Anyway topical bits - I'm 28 but definitely don't fit the 60kg mold climber mold (AT) 6'4 & 90kg. Average 200-250 km/week - sometimes more, some less. I clocked a 10:57 first attempt about 8 months back with about six months road riding + about the same again in MTB. Since then I've worked my way down to an 8:41 which hurt like hell. (http://app.strava.com/activities/49002805#861898956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I tend to ride it in the 39-27, first few times were with a 39-25 but I prefer the higher cadence. Looking at Garmin data for the fastest one, I averaged about 85rpm before briefly standing (39-25 I think) 3/4 of the way up and dropping to 60, then sitting back down and back up to 80+. Irritatingly Strava doesn't seem to give segment average cadence.

Would love to go faster again, but motivation to try has been limited after the pain incurred last time (HR hit 194..)

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue May 07, 2013 4:41 am

8:41 at 90kg! :shock: Holy hell that is fast! Well done!
Veloviewer

kb

Postby kb » Tue May 07, 2013 9:23 am

CaptainSlow wrote: I tend to ride it in the 39-27, first few times were with a 39-25 but I prefer the higher cadence. Looking at Garmin data for the fastest one, I averaged about 85rpm before briefly standing (39-25 I think) 3/4 of the way up and dropping to 60, then sitting back down and back up to 80+. Irritatingly Strava doesn't seem to give segment average cadence.
I had to check -- could have sworn it did on zooming but you're right. If you can be bothered, you could upload to ridewithgps.com. They update all stats when you select part of a ride. Garmin connect will keep separate average/totals _if_ you remember to set laps :-)