Chamois Cream

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
VettelUboss

Chamois Cream

Postby VettelUboss » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:10 pm

I am starting to get saddle sore more regularly. I ride about 500km per week, 15 years old. I have purchased some 'Aussie Butt Cream' chamois cream, will this help the sores go away? I never wear underpants with my chamois and usually take them off straight after I ride...

gorilla monsoon

Re: Chamois Cream

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:18 pm

Experience is it won't fix the saddle sores you've got so my advice is to get thos healed-up first then slap on plenty of that stuff when you are ready to ride again. You can either apply to the skin or apply to the chamois, your choice.
Others may have different/better advice.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:20 pm

Instead of buying the expensive chamois creams, you can go to your local supermarket and pick up a large bottle of sorbolene for a few dollars.

Heaps cheaper and works great.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Aloe vera and vitamin E cream works to for slip and slide. Throw some methylated spirits on ya butt and that will toughen you up a bit. :twisted:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:33 pm

foo on patrol wrote: Throw some methylated spirits on ya butt and that will toughen you up a bit. :twisted:
Foo, you are a sick man. :D

I love a good saddle sore discussion. Yoohoo TimW, we are talking about your favourite subject. :D

My latest remedy is Skin Basics, Zinc and Castor Oil Cream. I buy it in large tubs, very cheap from the Discount Pharmacy chain store.
I've not had any eruptions for over 18 months now and man have I had some beauties in the past.
Can't resist resurrecting this old thread;
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=48151&hilit=saddle+sores

matagi

Postby matagi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Tim wrote: My latest remedy is Skin Basics, Zinc and Castor Oil Cream. I buy it in large tubs, very cheap from the Discount Pharmacy chain store.
I've not had any eruptions for over 18 months now and man have I had some beauties in the past.
A man after my own heart!

Zinc and Castor Oil cream is an excellent and inexpensive option and better still, if you happen to need an emergency supply you can just duck into the baby section of your local supermarket.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:12 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Aloe vera and vitamin E cream works to for slip and slide. Throw some methylated spirits on ya butt and that will toughen you up a bit. :twisted:

Foo
I was gunna say he could get his partner to slap it on for him then realised he was 15! :oops:

Just carry on, young fella, and we'll discuss this again in about three years or so!
Not my circus, not my monkeys

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:36 pm

:lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

simmo71

Postby simmo71 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:49 pm

I have tried quite a few chamois creams and I always return to assos chamois cream. I find any other creams just don't go the distance, the creams work for maybe 30km if your lucky. Assos cream has a consistency that can tolerate more friction.

Maybe my positioning causes alot of friction between my body and the saddle, because there is no way so sorbolene will cut the mustard!!!

Recently I purchased assos wound healing gel and it is amazing. The gel cost $16, which is really expensive but well worth the money! I normally put cream on saddle sores, as the wound will heal quicker, but the assos gel speeds up the wound healing at a amazing rate.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Assos for mine, but Morgan Blue ain't too bad either.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Semar

Postby Semar » Thu May 02, 2013 9:30 am

Nivea shaving balm - takes the heat out of it and toughens skin - around the the saddle area too. :lol:
It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun May 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Chamois creams, why, how much etc

Chamois cream without lanolin?

Saddle Sores on same side

Treating a Saddle Sore

I found Savlon on a large band aid/dressing was good at shrinking saddle sores (over night). Now I rub the area with savlon than Sudocrem before riding.

Cortisone cream from the chemist also helps.