Moron Motorists #3

Crawf

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Crawf » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:36 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
jules21 wrote:
duncanm wrote:Rather than being so extreme.. how about you suggest to the local council that they put up some no-parking signs?
it's clearly a driveway, there's no need for signs
Yep. There's no need for council to provide any signage. If someone from the council saw it they'd throw a $100 fine on it and tow it away.
198 Obstructing access to and from a footpath, driveway etc.
(1) A driver must not stop on a road in a position that obstructs access by vehicles or pedestrians to or from a footpath ramp or a similar way of access to a footpath, or a bicycle path or passageway
If it keeps happening report them via the BCC website with a date/time the car is always present, a PIO will visit i'm sure.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:43 pm

nescius wrote:This doozy popped up in my youtube subscriptions, shows what happens when you treat the road like a race track (and you suffer a bit of target fixation!). Apparently all three walked away.
I'd hardly call that treating the road as a race track. He didn't look like he was going too fast but rather just broke the very basic rule of riding a motorbike while cornering by taking his focus of where he wanted to go to now going where he was focused on looking (now at the cyclists. You can see some of the more inexperienced cyclists do the very same thing on bikeways/shared pathways). Looks just simply like the motorbike rider had target fixation. Should have kept looking and leaning to the left where he wanted to go rather than divert his attention to the cyclists mid corner who he then crashed into as a result.
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:49 pm

+1: target fixation. :|

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:50 pm

nescius wrote:This doozy popped up in my youtube subscriptions, shows what happens when you treat the road like a race track (and you suffer a bit of target fixation!). Apparently all three walked away.
Good grief. Was the guy even looking where he was going? No evasive action, nothing.

That one deserves a 'Strewth!'.

arkle

Postby arkle » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:57 pm

This corner is a rather famous one on the Mulholland Highway, where large groups of people (generally motorcycle riders and fast car drivers) gather on the hill to watch and film the "Saturday heroes" on bikes and in cars negotiating the bend. There are dozens of youtube clips of bike riders high-siding as they come out of this turn. My guess is that the motorcyclist succumbed to target fixation due to a lack of experience, combined with the pressure to perform heroically for an audience. It's a bit sad to see that many of the youtube comments blame the cyclists for being there.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:00 pm

London Boy wrote:Was the guy even looking where he was going?
He was looking at where he wanted to go. That's basically what target fixation is in a nutshell :P Took his eyes off the corner exit and focused on the cyclists. As a result he rode straight into the cyclists :(

(AT) arkle. Agree about those comments about the cyclists at fault. Those people obviously haven't ridden a motorbike before or even a bicycle before to some extend. It's one of the very first things you learn when cornering especially as you start to build up speed to where it becomes basic instinct from going around the corner to your 'bike' shed at 4kph to a 80kph descent. 100% rider inexperience.

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:29 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
arkle wrote:Next time just ride into her door at a non-injurious, though dent/scratch causing, speed.

arkle
Felt just like doing that today to this pr**k! A whole empty road and they choose to park right there in the middle of the walkway. Would love to be in an electric wheelchair and just ram the hell out of the door.
jules21 wrote:oh man, luke, that's bad luck. i'd have insisted she pay for a new tyre ;)
Put 150 more k's and dirtied them up abit and it looks to be just cosmetic. I spose it looked worse because it was brand spanking new.
Someone on a trials bike could just make a new path on his bonnet LOL

arkle

Postby arkle » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:39 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
London Boy wrote:Was the guy even looking where he was going?
He was looking at where he wanted to go. That's basically what target fixation is in a nutshell :P Took his eyes off the corner exit and focused on the cyclists. As a result he rode straight into the cyclists :(

(AT) arkle. Agree about those comments about the cyclists at fault. Those people obviously haven't ridden a motorbike before or even a bicycle before to some extend. It's one of the very first things you learn when cornering especially as you start to build up speed to where it becomes basic instinct from going around the corner to your 'bike' shed at 4kph to a 80kph descent. 100% rider inexperience.
Number one rule when riding a motorcycle: never ever ever try to show off.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:43 pm

arkle wrote:Number one rule when riding a motorcycle: never ever ever try to show off.
Although if your name is Casey Stoner you could probably be excused a little exuberance..?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Or Mr Robbie Maddison...

I'm suprised he can even ride a bike with those giant balls!

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:57 pm

Now I'm commuting home, so I'm wearing a high vis shirt and I have my front light running (AT) 300 lumens (Fenix BT20). The look on the ladies face would be funny if it was in another situation. Still, I got an apology which is streets ahead of my last encounter which I'm not proud of my reaction (hence no upload... KonaCommuter is supposed to be a role model :wink: )

2012 Oppy A4

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:04 pm

A few years ago, I was riding on a narrow bitumen road through a national park when a trail bike rider coming around a sharp bend towards me, almost out of control, went past me on the gravel on my *left*, narrowly missed a tree and came to a halt in some bushes 20 metres behind me. In a split second, I formulated a plan. I dropped my bike on the road, ran at him, picking up a dead tree branch about as long and thick as my arm as I went. My intention was to break his arms, pull the fuel line off his petrol tank, pull off one of the spark plug leads and burn his bike.

Fortunately for both of us, he got his bike started, my first whirling blow missed his back and he disappeared. Given the time that has passed, I hope I would now be a bit more level-headed.
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:20 pm

Heh I would either have forgotten about it 2 seconds later or still be tracking him down.

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:23 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
He was looking at where he wanted to go. That's basically what target fixation is in a nutshell
Not exactly, unless you mean he wanted to hit the cyclist. Target fixation (in this sense) is where you are looking at the object you are trying to avoid rather than the escape route.

Incidentally here's another angle of the same incident from an onboard cam:

smithcorp

Postby smithcorp » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:01 pm

The prick had seen cyclists on the road before the pair he hit!

I had a few heart-stoppers years ago riding up the Old Pacific Highway from Hawkesbury River heading north - you'd hear the screaming motorcycle a split second before it would appear, cranked over in the turn and whip past at 100+ kph. I learned to stay close to the edge and not cut towards the centre of the steeper curves.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:02 pm

ausrandoman wrote:A few years ago, I was riding on a narrow bitumen road through a national park when a trail bike rider coming around a sharp bend towards me, almost out of control, went past me on the gravel on my *left*, narrowly missed a tree and came to a halt in some bushes 20 metres behind me. In a split second, I formulated a plan. I dropped my bike on the road, ran at him, picking up a dead tree branch about as long and thick as my arm as I went. My intention was to break his arms, pull the fuel line off his petrol tank, pull off one of the spark plug leads and burn his bike.
this was surely a great plan ;)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:18 pm

herzog wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:
He was looking at where he wanted to go. That's basically what target fixation is in a nutshell
Not exactly, unless you mean he wanted to hit the cyclist. Target fixation (in this sense) is where you are looking at the object you are trying to avoid rather than the escape route.
I didn't use the best wording to say what I was trying to mean but he was looking where he was going (looking at the cyclists as to trying to avoid them when he should have noticed their line mid corner and then focused on his exit line) but got trapped in the realm of target fixation and unintentionally ended up in a position where he was then riding directly towards the cyclists. I've seen it happen way, way to many times out at Lakeside and Queensland Raceway over the years where they stand the bike up or change their line ever so slightly and go straight into the scene of the accident. In the case of the photos below straight into a flipping motorcycle.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:45 pm

Nasty - very nasty. :shock: I can't think of anything more to say, words fail me. The target fixation thing is true - how many times have we seen even in car racing, one car going off under brakes and the next one following it does the same.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 pm

jules21 wrote:
duncanm wrote:Rather than being so extreme.. how about you suggest to the local council that they put up some no-parking signs?
it's clearly a driveway, there's no need for signs
Well, actually its not a driveway, which was my point.

However, looking at the NSW road rules, they say
198 Obstructing access to and from a footpath, driveway etc

(1) A driver must not stop on a road in a position that obstructs access by vehicles or pedestrians to or from a footpath ramp or a similar way of access to a footpath, or a bicycle path or passageway unless:..
I imagine QLD is probably the same.

mea culpa. Get the council to slap some parking fines on the bastard

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:31 am

herzog wrote:Incidentally here's another angle of the same incident from an onboard cam:

That [self-censored] motorcyclist was riding way too close to other cyclists prior to him hitting those poor unfortunate two - he goes way too close IMO to two other cyclists at 15 seconds and 22 seconds.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:40 pm

jules21 wrote:that's just appalling skills - dude shouldn't have been given a license.
Short of equipment failure it is hard to see a defence.

Does anyone know where it happened. Ongoing health and legal issues?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:02 pm

Was waiting at an intersection this arvo, a bus was waiting to turn right so a bright young lady thought it would be a good idea to turn in front of this bus, completely blind to oncoming traffic in the lane next to the bus. As unfortunate luck would have it a motorbike was passing the bus. He nearly stopped in time, but went over the handlebars, landed on the cars bonnet, and the bike flipped onto the back of his legs. As I saw his back wheel leave the ground I thought I was going to witness a very nasty crash.

Luckily it just seemed like bruising, he moved his legs about to check how bad it was then picked up his poor beloved resplendent with cracked plastic front end. The lady was very apologetic, the chap took it very well, was just happy with his landing and nothing broken. I quipped to him "cars eh!", gave him my details and left them to sort themselves out. He's going to feel it tomorrow.

All in all one of the most stupid things I've seen recently, turning in front of a BUS??? Seriously, no amount of apologies can make up for how thick you must be to do that.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:42 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Now I'm commuting home, so I'm wearing a high vis shirt and I have my front light running (AT) 300 lumens (Fenix BT20). The look on the ladies face would be funny if it was in another situation. Still, I got an apology which is streets ahead of my last encounter which I'm not proud of my reaction (hence no upload... KonaCommuter is supposed to be a role model :wink: )
Very polite and role-model-like reaction there Kona.

Isn't this another one of yours?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 01, 2013 12:09 am

I got to play with a Transperth bus this morning. I just really wish they would stay out of my sandpit!

This driver decided he need my lane and had started to enter it when I was just to the rear of the front wheel arch. By the time the number 2303 on the side of the bus comes into view the bus had already crossed the white line and was coming into my lane. As the rear doors come into view I reacted realising this driver had every intention of taking me out unless I took steps to protect myself. At this point I applied the front brake hard and had the brake on until the bus had fully taken my lane and was coming to a stop at the bus stop. I guess waiting a couple of seconds was too much.

http://www.youtube.com/v/KyEDZ_b87Ig" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andrew

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 01, 2013 8:33 am

speaking of busses. yesterday morning (~6am) outside the regatta there was a cyclist banging on the window of a bus. he wasn't happy. anyone know the cause?