eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Vintage, yesteryear and retro biking

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby feelthewheel » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Not sure if this person is genuine or a rabbit ... advert is low on details, but for those in Brisvegas there might be some good 'uns:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/boondall ... 1018257176
feelthewheel
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:20 am
Location: Anakie, Victoria

by BNA » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:46 pm

BNA
 

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby find_bruce » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:46 pm

feelthewheel wrote:Not sure if this person is genuine or a rabbit ... advert is low on details, but for those in Brisvegas there might be some good 'uns:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/boondall ... 1018257176

and you can pick up prawns & yabbies for lunch while you are there :lol:
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 4151
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:55 pm

LugNut wrote:Image

Yum. AMP goodness. Tell me how much your mate payed so I can cry.
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 3760
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby LugNut » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:12 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
LugNut wrote:Image

Yum. AMP goodness. Tell me how much your mate payed so I can cry.


$28 :D

Here it is:
eBay
User avatar
LugNut
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby eightsixboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Does anyone know what the go is with this guy

http://stores.ebay.com.au/hairbear8850? ... 4340.l2563

He has so many bikes for sale, I wonder if he is importing them and putting random bits on? A few of the bikes dont make sense, theres a alloy TCR with tiagra.
eightsixboy
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby axeman74 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:30 pm

Quite strange, same seller is advertising his wares on Gumtree. Could be a container load of imported bikes, or perhaps bike shop trade ins, but there does seem to be a lot of them, and doesn't look like he is selling much at those prices.

Axeman74


eightsixboy wrote:Does anyone know what the go is with this guy

http://stores.ebay.com.au/hairbear8850? ... 4340.l2563

He has so many bikes for sale, I wonder if he is importing them and putting random bits on? A few of the bikes dont make sense, theres a alloy TCR with tiagra.
axeman74
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby eightsixboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:17 pm

TBO I dont even know if his prices are really that good, he has a alloy defy for like $1500 or more, you can buy a carbon one for that much.
eightsixboy
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby Bob_TAS » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:18 pm

Someone knows what they're selling

Edit: (Though I'm not seeing the forks)
User avatar
Bob_TAS
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:39 pm
Location: Hobart

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:48 pm

That one's popped up before on this thread, dunno what the go is but he must have one MASSIVE garage! :lol:
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby axeman74 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:08 pm

Looks to me like most of the pics are taken in front of some sort of Self-Storage facility. Still very curious as to what the deal is here, and if he has actually sold anything given his prices are a bit on the expensive side.

Axeman74

ldrcycles wrote:That one's popped up before on this thread, dunno what the go is but he must have one MASSIVE garage! :lol:
axeman74
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby feelthewheel » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:42 pm

I think this clearly wins 'the most dangerous piece of gaspipe every offered for sale':

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/toorak/b ... 1018651074

anyone want to disagree?
feelthewheel
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:20 am
Location: Anakie, Victoria

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby LugNut » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:21 pm

feelthewheel wrote:I think this clearly wins 'the most dangerous piece of gaspipe every offered for sale':

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/toorak/b ... 1018651074

anyone want to disagree?


So much wrong...

I once tried the 'just shorten the chain' style single speed, I was riding out of the saddle and the chain jumped from the rear cog I had it set on to a larger one, and obviously with not enough chain to go around, the chain ripped half the chainring straight off the cranks.
Even that is probably the least dangerous part of the bike... :?

$67 too! Jaysus, shouting him a coffee would be over paying
User avatar
LugNut
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby hitchhiker » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:48 pm

axeman74 wrote:Looks to me like most of the pics are taken in front of some sort of Self-Storage facility. Still very curious as to what the deal is here, and if he has actually sold anything given his prices are a bit on the expensive side.

Axeman74

ldrcycles wrote:That one's popped up before on this thread, dunno what the go is but he must have one MASSIVE garage! :lol:


I bought my first road bike from him about 2 years ago, I've posted about it somewhere on this forum.

He does have a self storage facility and claims most of the bikes are lightly used bikes from Japan. The prices were negotiable and he was happy to let me test ride for few hours, so overall I was happy at the time
User avatar
hitchhiker
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:18 pm
Location: on the border

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby Mustang » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:11 pm

hitchhiker wrote:
axeman74 wrote:Looks to me like most of the pics are taken in front of some sort of Self-Storage facility. Still very curious as to what the deal is here, and if he has actually sold anything given his prices are a bit on the expensive side.

Axeman74

ldrcycles wrote:That one's popped up before on this thread, dunno what the go is but he must have one MASSIVE garage! :lol:


I bought my first road bike from him about 2 years ago, I've posted about it somewhere on this forum.

He does have a self storage facility and claims most of the bikes are lightly used bikes from Japan. The prices were negotiable and he was happy to let me test ride for few hours, so overall I was happy at the time

I sent a question to him some time ago & received a very icy reply..."you think I'm a crook or something"
Image
User avatar
Mustang
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:20 am
Location: Little Mountain Q

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby Zynster » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:12 pm


I'm wondering how you would know if a bike "rides fine" without actually riding it?
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross
User avatar
Zynster
 
Posts: 1102
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:50 pm
Location: West End, Brisbane

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:29 pm

I've had an old MTB rigged up like that for use as a farm bike for quite a while, and even with long grass clogging things up it hasn't been an issue, but NO WAY I would try that on the road, especially when it's as loose as that. Y'know rego for bikes would almost be worthwhile if it would do anything about bikes like that :shock: .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby wqlava1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:32 pm

LugNut wrote:
feelthewheel wrote:I think this clearly wins 'the most dangerous piece of gaspipe every offered for sale':

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/toorak/b ... 1018651074

anyone want to disagree?


So much wrong...

I once tried the 'just shorten the chain' style single speed, I was riding out of the saddle and the chain jumped from the rear cog I had it set on to a larger one, and obviously with not enough chain to go around, the chain ripped half the chainring straight off the cranks.
Even that is probably the least dangerous part of the bike... :?

$67 too! Jaysus, shouting him a coffee would be over paying


The only nice thing about it is the new cotter pin visible in one photo
2014 goal 52000m
Image
wqlava1
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:13 am
Location: Nillumbik, Vic

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby Kermit TF » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:56 pm

When in doubt......mumble.
User avatar
Kermit TF
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:52 pm
Location: Canbrrra

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby frog » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:10 pm

User avatar
frog
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby munga » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:17 pm

"did you steal my tyre swan?"

pity the poor bastage in smelbz who sold his alan super record with 50th group a little while back for $290

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/racing-bike- ... cfb&_uhb=1
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
User avatar
munga
 
Posts: 6783
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: wowe

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:51 pm

munga wrote:"did you steal my tyre swan?"

pity the poor bastage in smelbz who sold his alan super record with 50th group a little while back for $290

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/racing-bike- ... cfb&_uhb=1

Same bike?

Either way the setup looks terrible. Has the look of being bought by someone that is to big for it.

No descent drive side shot. My photo skills are crap but those pictures look like they have been taken with a phone camera. I would be ditching that Vetta saddle ASAP if it was mine too and replace it with Super Corsa or a Turbo.

I wouldn't spend half that. I have seen mint in the box 50th ann. groupsets go for $2500.

Plus it's made for midgets.
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 3760
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby LugNut » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:07 pm

Not retro, but you just have to laugh :lol: So the bike shop told you the value but didn't mention anything abbbooouuuttt....?
'Looks tough'
User avatar
LugNut
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:39 pm

LugNut wrote:Not retro, but you just have to laugh :lol: So the bike shop told you the value but didn't mention anything abbbooouuuttt....?
'Looks tough'

love the reverse mounted fork :lol:
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 3760
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:35 am

Big Repco on offer from Max - good price, too.
User avatar
Dan
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm
Location: Vegas, baby

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:34 am

singlespeedscott wrote:
LugNut wrote:Not retro, but you just have to laugh :lol: So the bike shop told you the value but didn't mention anything abbbooouuuttt....?
'Looks tough'

love the reverse mounted fork :lol:

Maybe that's what he meant by "many people pass compliments". Apparently he has a cannondale righty as well :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 4151
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

PreviousNext

Return to Retro biking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers