cleaning glue off carbon rims

liamb

cleaning glue off carbon rims

Postby liamb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi All

I have a set of 50mm Prolite Carbon Bracciano Rims. Being the idiot I am I keep cocking up the gluing process and end up with the tire running well out of true and as a result I get a very bumpy ride. I think I need to clean the glue off the rim but I cant seem to get any off. I dont think I should be using chemicals, I dont want to use sharp tools. I contacted Prolite international and all they told me was to use the correct tools but didnt tell me what those tools were I have tried to peel the glue off but ended up with soo much skin peeled off my thumb I now have a severe infection in one of my thumb.

Anyone out there got any tips???

Bill Nash
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

jacks1071

Re: cleaning glue off carbon rims

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Shouldn't be any need to clean the old glue off.

What process did you use to pre-stretch the tyre before gluing, and which tyres are you using?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:09 pm

Acetone - and a pair of nitrile gloves. A role of "chux" wipes from an Autostore will do the job.

Campy, Continental & DT Swiss all recommend acetone (if I remember correctly). I've replaced about 10 tubulars on carbon rims and loads more on alloys, and I can't help but feel that a perfectly clean rim pre-gluing is best. A number of tyre manufactures specify NOT to pre-stretch the tube (who knows why).

BTW - carbon specific glue is essential. I use Conti and it's much slower drying than the normal glue. Gives loads of time for repositioning.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

liamb

Postby liamb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi

I am using Vittoria Mastik glue and Vittiria Corsa Evo-Cx Tires. I hand stretched them prior and without glue left them on clean rims for 4 days at full pressure. The first problem I had was a huge lump at the valve point which I assumed was some glue in the hole. I removed the tires and could not really determine the exact cause. Now when the tires are mounted there is about 3mm of run out for about 1/3 of the circumference of the wheels. I have tried 3 times now with no success. I have been told that leaving some glue on is fine but each time I re glue surely there must be some uneven lumps???

I am not sure if using acetone is such as good idea as the agent in the carbon may be affected by acetone??? Having said that I have checked a few websites and see lots of people using acetone so possibly its time to try it.
Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:41 am

Ith the lump near the valve.

Check that it seats properly when you have no glue on. Some rim/tire combinations dont match up well as the tire/value connection creates to big a lump snd you need to carefully widen the opening.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:45 am

I've raced on Tubular tyres for 10yrs and in that time I have never cleaned a rim back to bare. The old glue helps give you a much stronger glue job. I presume if you change enough tyres you might get to the point you need to clean it off perhaps but I doubt you are at that stage.

Sometimes you need to enlarge the valve hole by one drill bit size where the valve enters the rim to allow the tyre to sit better. That being said every "lump" I've ever had was a result of a poor glue job relating to not stretching the tyres properly.

I don't stretch them by hand at all, I inflate them to max PSI everyday for at least 1-week and using this method I've never had an issue. The last few I've done I left them for two weeks and they were the neatest glue jobs I've done to date.

There is also the possibility that there is a fault with the tyres, maybe time to get a pro to help out?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

alex

Postby alex » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:20 pm

you dont need to remove the glue

your problem with the lump at the valve hole has nothing to do with glue, try a different tyre and see how you go
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

liamb

Postby liamb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:20 pm

Ok I will carefully open tho valve hole. Just to note, the lump around the valve is no longer an issue, it's now about 1/5 of the circumferance is "raised" which I can only assume is a result of not enough stretching. I can't imagine it is the tires as a few blokes I ride with them on varying wheels including prolites never have issues, but I don't know who fits them. I suspect a few get them done at a shop. Looks like I am up for a few more tires:((

Bill

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:07 pm

Here is another hot tip for you, install some heat shrink on the valve stem. It stops the "ticking" noise, very important to remember this before you glue the tyres on :-)

liamb

Postby liamb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi Dion

I am using the heat shrink:). Got that wrong first attempt. What tires do you use/ recommend for these specific rims??. And do you stretch them on an old rim?? The Victoria's seem to stick to the old glue on the rims and actually stick reasonably well when I tried to stretch on the prolites.

Bill

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:05 pm

The Vittoria CX's are good for the money, I'm running them at the moment in 25mm form. My next set will be Veloflex, I put a set onto some customer wheels recently. I thought the Vittoria's were alright but the Veloflex is in a whole other league when it comes to quality, you need to hold them in your hand to appreciate the quality.

http://www.veloflex.it/products/tubular ... n#Arenberg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are stretching them on a rim that's has old glue on it, its no problem. They won't stick enough to cause any damage to the tyres.

I have the luxary of a warehouse full of brand new wheels so I usually stretch tyres on new rims to be honest but thats just because I can :-)

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:10 pm

jacks1071 wrote:Here is another hot tip for you, install some heat shrink on the valve stem. It stops the "ticking" noise, very important to remember this before you glue the tyres on :-)
Legend 8)

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 am

jacks1071 wrote:Here is another hot tip for you, install some heat shrink on the valve stem. It stops the "ticking" noise, very important to remember this before you glue the tyres on :-)
Never heard a ticking sound from my tubulars. Clinchers yes, when the locking ring is loose, but never tubulars.

Probably need my ears cleaned.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

liamb

Postby liamb » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:03 pm

Alright another dumb question!! If I am constantly removing tires to re glue can I keep reusing the tires as long as the tape/ cloth is in good condition. There is some residual glue but other than that the tires are brand new less than 100km old. And can I stretch them again???

Bill

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:26 pm

liamb wrote:Alright another dumb question!! If I am constantly removing tires to re glue can I keep reusing the tires as long as the tape/ cloth is in good condition. There is some residual glue but other than that the tires are brand new less than 100km old. And can I stretch them again???

Bill
Yes, just put one layer of glue on the tyre, one layer on the rim and put it on. Some people wait 20 mins, personally I fit them while its wet as you've got more time to work with it before the glue goes off.

If you've had the tyres on the rim for a while they should be sufficiently stretched by now. Do a dry run without glue and make sure it goes on and off easy enough before adding glue into the mix. You could even go for a little ride (take it steady on the corners) without any glue to make sure your lump is gone.

liamb

Postby liamb » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:13 pm

Cheers Dion

Thanks for the advice. Next week I will get the tires off and re glue after a good stretch on a spare rim, I have a feeling maybe my stretching technique needs work.

Bill

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:18 pm

liamb wrote:Alright another dumb question!! If I am constantly removing tires to re glue can I keep reusing the tires as long as the tape/ cloth is in good condition. There is some residual glue but other than that the tires are brand new less than 100km old. And can I stretch them again???

Bill
Why are you removing tyres just to glue them on again? The answer to your question is yes, but the glue is good enough for at least a couple of years, long enough to wear them out :twisted:

Cheers,

Cameron

petal665

Postby petal665 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Sometimes previous owners of wheels use what seems like half a can of glue per wheel in the glueing process. I like to remove this excess glue and start again with thin layers. I have a method for doing it, it's not messy and the rim comes up nice and clean.

I wet the glue on the rim with white spirits and a paint brush at night. The next night I do it again. Next morning another wetting with spirits. That night I get a flat headed screw driver and peel the glue off. It's started to dry out again so isn't too sticky anymore, but soft enough to peel off in smallish junks. It's a little time consuming but it works.

I'm doing a wheel tonight, I might take photos.

liamb

Postby liamb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:02 pm

Hi Petal

Are you doing that on Carbon Rims??? I was advised not to use things like screw drivers and acetone.(white spirits might be different) I think I used a bit too much glue the second go but its not enough to cause the run out I have for such a long part of the circumference of the wheel. Would be good to see some pics if you get them.

Bill

petal665

Postby petal665 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:55 am

This is an unacceptable amount of glue. You can't even see the spoke hole. Supposedly this wheel had only been 'used once'. Gotta love ebay.

Anyway, some white spirits (does not damage carbon) and careful use of a screw driver (I don't actually touch the carbon, just stick it into the glue and lift) leaves a clean surface. The marks you can see are small bits of glue.

liamb

Postby liamb » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:04 am

wow. I am no where near that much glue but I think in places I am thicker than others, I can see every spoke hole. I will try white spirits this week but there is alot of glue on the tires aswell so I guess I need to try to clean them or start from new.
Cheers for the Pics
Bill

petal665

Postby petal665 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 am

I would not be doing anything to your tire.

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:33 pm

petal665 wrote:This is an unacceptable amount of glue. You can't even see the spoke hole. Supposedly this wheel had only been 'used once'. Gotta love ebay.

Insane. I only ever seen this amount of glue on 10 yo wheels.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Thu May 02, 2013 8:15 pm

Nice tip Petal, I'll remember that one for the future when my zipp's finally get too much glue on them.

Does this work for a smaller glue build up eg 3-5 tyres worth?

Cheers

petal665

Postby petal665 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:52 pm

Yeah it does, but it's actually harder work the less glue there is.