Riding on the Bruce Highway

InTheWoods

Re: Riding on the Bruce Highway

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:48 pm

I saw somebody riding (fast-ish) on the Bruce Highway yesterday about 2-3pm. South of Caboolture in a 3 lane wide bit somewhere. Wide shoulder but didn't look like fun to me.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:50 pm

I always try to set off the fixed speed camera outside Burpengary... from the service road... Can't seem to crack the 65kph mark though. I spose having the camera aimed towards the highway doesn't help my cause :lol: :lol: :lol:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:13 pm

You were on the money foo, there is actually a green 'motorway entrance' sign at Yandina. And there's another of those 'prohibited' signs at the Cooroy on ramp, so time for me to work out who I need to complain to.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Farside

Postby Farside » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:44 pm

I live at Coolum and work in Noosa and have often wondered about the motorway restrictions too, I know the Coolum Police aren't interested but I freak enough with the smart@#sed Sunbus drivers along DLW to worry about riding up the motorway...anyway to answer the question it appears that the decision about who goes where and when is up to someone in a office in George St....
According to http://www.ozroads.com.au/QLD/classifications.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :

What are limited access roads?
Under the Transport Infrastructure Act 1994, the Chief Executive of Main Roads may declare part or all of any state-controlled road a limited access road. This means that the Chief Executive can regulate access and egress points on the declared limited access road, thus improving traffic flow and safety. Once a limited access road has been declared, a policy regarding access to and from adjacent land must be gazetted.

What’s the difference between a limited access road and a motorway?
A Motorway is a higher form of limited access road. Along with access restrictions to/from adjacent land, a motorway has restrictions on what types of vehicles can and cannot enter it as well as restrictions on stopping or turning.

ldrcycles, i'd really like to know how you ride the Yandina Coolum Rd? After the Noosa 160 on the weekend I'd like to ride the Yandina- Bli Bli stretch a little more often but its 100kph road from Coolum to Yandina and no shoulder to speak of for most of that trip?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu May 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Farside wrote: ldrcycles, i'd really like to know how you ride the Yandina Coolum Rd? After the Noosa 160 on the weekend I'd like to ride the Yandina- Bli Bli stretch a little more often but its 100kph road from Coolum to Yandina and no shoulder to speak of for most of that trip?
I actually went along there during a ride before work this morning, it's the same as riding on any other road. With the exception of the short section between the industrial estate and the christian college, the shoulder is actually a lot wider than it looks from the car, better than many other roads I've ridden. I always make a conscious effort to 'ride big' and haven't had any issues along there. There were a couple of quarry size trucks that passed me this morning, all of them gave me lots of room.

The road past ski n skurf going from Bli Bli to Marcoola on the other hand, now THERE'S a road with no shoulder, the road as a whole is fairly narrow and it carries a lot more traffic than Yandina-Coolum, I feel a lot more comfortable on Yandina-Coolum (or the highway for that matter).

Bearing in mind I grew up and learnt to drive/ride up around Kin Kin/Wolvi, so my idea of 'wide' and 'well surfaced' may differ somewhat from most :) .

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat May 18, 2013 6:42 am

OK it took me a while to get on to it but I have emailed the minister for transport and main roads, along with the director-general of the department of main roads. Now I just have to wait and see I guess.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Well it was some time in coming but I finally got a reply from Main Roads, and it's not much chop.
Main Roads wrote: I refer to your email to Mr Neil Scales, Director-General, Department of Transport and Main Roads, about cycling on the Bruce Highway. The Director-General has asked that I respond on his behalf.

TMR is committed to the safety of cyclists on the state-controlled road network. To ensure the safety of cyclists, and due to the difficulties and hazards which would confront cyclists on high volume, high speed environments, bicycles are not permitted in designated motorways, in this case the Bruce Highway.

TMR undertook a routine review of all signage along the Bruce Highway, including the Yandina and Cooroy interchanges, and identified that the prohibition signage was incomplete. To address this, TMR prepared and implemented a new signage scheme along the Bruce Highway. As such, prohibiting cyclists along this section of highway is not a new policy, rather the signage has been upgraded in line with TMR standards, to ensure the safety of cyclists and motorists. However, I understand that the new sign has inconvenienced you and TMR apologises that no consultation was undertaken before it was installed.

Permitting cyclists on the Bruce Highway would mean that any cyclist could use it including schoolchildren. The mix of high volume, high speed and high percentage of heavy vehicles and wide loads, lead to the decision to continue with the prohibition of cyclists on the Bruce Highway near Yandina which is consistent with the southern end of the Bruce Highway in the North Coast region.

TMR's Cycling Infrastructure Policy states that along principal cycle routes, TMR will positively provide for cyclists in transport infrastructure projects. Where cycling infrastructure cannot be physically provided in a state-controlled road corridor, TMR will identify, plan and deliver an alternate route.

TMR is working closely with Sunshine Coast Regional Council to develop a cycle route utilising both state-controlled and local roads around the Eumundi and Yandina areas.

I assure you TMR will continue to work closely with council to develop further alternative routes to ensure the safety of cyclists in the area.

I note your comments about the condition of Eumundi Range Road. This road falls under the jurisdiction of Sunshine Coast Regional Council and I have referred this matter to council for consideration and direct reply.

I trust this information is of assistance.

Yours Sincerely, Miles Vass. General Manager, Program Delivery and Operations.
I think the assertion that all cyclists need to be banned from the highway so that schoolchildren don't ride along it is ridiculous, and they have completely failed to address my principal reason for objecting to the prohibition, which is that the Highway is a much safer road because of it's design, than most of the other roads in the region. It is a joke that the 2 lane divided highway with a shoulder wider than many entire rural roads and completely unhindered visibility is supposedly too dangerous for cycling to be allowed, yet Steve Irwin Way, a road with ZERO shoulder and appalling surfacing for much of it's length, is just fine and dandy.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:04 pm

ldrcycles wrote:From Caboolture up the way I ride is Beerburrum Road up to the Steve Irwin Way. Where it then gets a little tricky is Caloundra Rd just before Corbould Park racecourse. There is a small sign there saying 'cyclists must exit' (or words to that effect) but no signs indicating 'no bicycles' or 'bicycles prohibited beyond this point' or a variation thereof. Going in the other direction there is another small sign saying 'no bicycles next 2km'. I see absolutely no reason for this, the road is perfectly safe, wide open and arrow straight with shoulders the size of most country roads.

My main beef is with the Bruce highway possibly being now closed for cycling between Cooroy and Yandina, that section is much flatter than any other route, and at typical cycling times has only light traffic. If it's been safe to cycle for the last who knows how many years, why is it only now that it is deemed unsafe, and why?
The exit before Corbold Park turnoff is one of the more sensible in the area, it takes you on to old Caloundra road, a path leads you through the sound fence & away from the very busy first roundabout. You can exit North or continue up the cycle path & re-enter the main road & continue up Caloundra hill.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.