Best bang for buck upgrade for my bike?

yanjarra

Best bang for buck upgrade for my bike?

Postby yanjarra » Wed May 01, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi all,

I have been riding fairly consistantly for a few years now and am a 30km/hr average rider on flat/undulating terrain. I am more of a sprinter/flat rider than cut out for the hills, i weigh in at 80kg.I ride a 2009 orbea orca with sram red and older campagnalo euru g3 tubular alloys. I generally ride 30km a day around an undulating road course which has some pretty rough bits. Weekends I might do a 100km scarborough-toombul type ride and the occasional mount cootha. I would like to start group riding and maybe enter some low level comp in not to distant future.

I have decided I am loving this sport and given my riding buddy has just lashed out on a flash new bike and that i've come across a new job I am looking at taking the next step in my equipment to hopefully give me a little performance edge. I was wondering what some of you would recommend for the best upgrade from here for my equipment? I know a lot of people seem to say that the best upgrade you can make on your bike is wheels so I have been looking at a set of the 2013 dura ace9000 cl50 carbon/alloy clinchers which you can get at what seems a pretty decent price right now at $1350. I am also looking at making the switch to DI2 especially since I have had continuing troubles with my FD on the sram. The other option I guess would be to buy a whole new bike with these components already on rather than going piece by piece.....have bikes frames come that far in 4 years to justify this or would I be better off just upgrading components? If components; am I on the right track with going for this wheelset as my next upgrade? Should I be doing the groupo first or is there a better alternate wheelset or something else I should be considering?

Thanks,
Matt

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Best bang for buck upgrade for my bike?

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 01, 2013 4:01 pm

Running gear aside Matt, how much do you love to ride the Orbea?

If the answer is "lots" and the frame is in good nick then a wheels/parts upgrade will lead to a nice custom...
If it's "meh" then go the new bike route. :wink:

Cheers
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

yanjarra

Postby yanjarra » Wed May 01, 2013 4:12 pm

Hey Shaun,

I do love the Orbea, seems very smooth and good take up and pretty light. I certainly have no complaints. Than again, my only reference point is an alloy orbea acqua prior to that, I've not ridden any other high end bikes. Just looking at my mates new orbea 2012 it looks like the aerodynamics have improved a bit but whether that's worth buying a new frame for or trying another brand i'm not sure. Certainly leaning towards a wheelset for now though....I couldn't imagine the frame upgrade will reap huge benefits but may be wrong...

as somewhat of an addendum.....if I was to go with the wheels, is 50mm about the sweet spot for rim depth for the type of riding I do? I can get the 24mm for $200 less and weigh less but would be less aero I suppose...

sdnelson19

Postby sdnelson19 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:58 pm

50mm is a good trade off for weight and aero, if you're going to continue to ride mostly flats then that's probably a good place to start. If some hills are in your future then something light and stiff will help you climb. With my first wheel upgrade I went for these viewtopic.php?f=25&t=63451 as the 38mm profile was deep enough aero wise without adding too much bulk in terms of weight. The wheel-builder custom made these for me based on my weight (more than yours), riding style (similar to yours) and local terrain; so they are ultra strong and stiff as well as being very very fast.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 01, 2013 11:09 pm

Get a better engine ;)

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu May 02, 2013 9:06 am

Orbea Orca, Sram Red and Campag Eurus huh? Can't see much need for an upgrade there unless something is wearing out.

If you want a new bike, that's cool, buy one, but you've got a pretty nice bike. Wash it, service it, put on new bar tape and enjoy it.

Or buy an MTB as well! :twisted:

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu May 02, 2013 9:16 am

That's a really good price for the C50 wheels, are you sure that's for a pair and not just one? The C50s will be around 200g heavier than your Campag wheels but more aero - so good for flats/downhills but not so good for going up hills. Maybe the C38 or C24 versions might be a better choice?

Di2 is a good upgrade if you can afford it, though the jury is still out as to if it is an actual performance upgrade, but I guess if you currently have poorly working SRAM then it will be. BikeBug are stll advertising the Ultegra 10 speed version for just under $1500

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:18 am

I'd hardly classify C50's as "bang for buck"

I know a lot of people ride 50mm wheels everyday but for me, 50mm is a race wheel. Not particularly enjoyable to ride on due to cross wind effects etc.

I'd much rather be riding a 24-30mm wheel for everyday use, save the 50mm for race-day.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Thu May 02, 2013 12:03 pm

Id buy a new bike, you get new everything not just wheels and di2. There are some great deals on di2 equipped Bikes atm go shopping.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu May 02, 2013 1:04 pm

If you are going to start competing, I would wait until I have been racing a while before you decide what you need to upgrade.

Because depending on what you want to do/ enjoy doing you might need:
A TT bike because you like TTing
Lightweight wheels cos you are constantly chasing people up hills
Big aero wheels cos you constantly got your nose in the wind on the front of in/chasing break aways
Power meter, cos your bike is fine but the motor needs improving

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu May 02, 2013 1:33 pm

how much buck do you want to spend for your bang?

if you have budget for a full bike with similar specs then go the whole shebang.

Test riding new bikes will also give you a feel for newer tech into frames and parts, then you can make the call if its worth your buck.

For example, comparing 2009 SRAM Red FD to the new FD would be quite a difference!

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Thu May 02, 2013 2:27 pm

I have a Focus Cayo 2.0 2011 & have been thinking about upgrading the wheels. Current wheels are DT Swiss R1900 & have had the spoke blow out (after a little over 3,000kms) & it took 6 weeks to get it back from DT Swiss.
At my LBS alone, TBSM, they had to send off 7 wheels with the same issue.
So I am thinking of getting lighter ones obviously, but also require them to be strong enough for riding Sydney roads.

I am 6foot 2, weigh around 83kgs... My riding is mainly commuting from Beverly Hills to the CBD, about 20km one way, on the wonderfully crappy Sydney roads.
Also I do the odd weekend ride where I try to get in some climbing to improve my strength, endurance & shed a few pounds.
I was looking on various other topics & saw a lot of different recommendations, but quite like the Shimano Dura Ace C24s.
In people's opinion will the new, lighter set of wheels make much difference to the bike's & my performance?
Also, is it simply a matter of getting new wheels & whacking them onto the bike? I know the basic stuff of maintenance, but nothing beyond that.
Any other recommendations for wheels?

Thanks.
JJ

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:53 pm

JohnJoyner wrote:I have a Focus Cayo 2.0 2011 & have been thinking about upgrading the wheels. Current wheels are DT Swiss R1900 & have had the spoke blow out (after a little over 3,000kms) & it took 6 weeks to get it back from DT Swiss.
At my LBS alone, TBSM, they had to send off 7 wheels with the same issue.
So I am thinking of getting lighter ones obviously, but also require them to be strong enough for riding Sydney roads.

I am 6foot 2, weigh around 83kgs... My riding is mainly commuting from Beverly Hills to the CBD, about 20km one way, on the wonderfully crappy Sydney roads.
Also I do the odd weekend ride where I try to get in some climbing to improve my strength, endurance & shed a few pounds.
I was looking on various other topics & saw a lot of different recommendations, but quite like the Shimano Dura Ace C24s.
In people's opinion will the new, lighter set of wheels make much difference to the bike's & my performance?
Also, is it simply a matter of getting new wheels & whacking them onto the bike? I know the basic stuff of maintenance, but nothing beyond that.
Any other recommendations for wheels?

Thanks.
JJ
In terms of mechanics you just need to swap the cassette from your old wheels to the new ones presuming you are going to retire them - 5 minute job with the right tools. If you want to keep them "ready to use" for spares you'll need to purchase a cassette for your new wheels.

In terms of bang for your dollar the Pro-Lite Merano and Bracciano should definitely be on your list.

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=82" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're a little low on stock (actually out of stock on some models) but I have a mega shipment that just landed in the country. We'll be shipping the new stock next week which by the way is all Shimano 11sp compatible to help future proof them.

I see Shimano arn't far off with Ultegra 11sp, 11sp might become mainstream a lot sooner than we expect.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

yanjarra

Postby yanjarra » Sat May 04, 2013 11:06 am

trailgumby, nickobec - I am working on the motor also, don't you worry about that....I don't see the harm in upgrading the bike and myself simultaneously though...its not like i'm going to try and stop getting faster because I have some better equipment

ross - that is for the pair, wiggle are doing 25% off plus with an extra discount coupon code applied its down to 1186 plus whatever import tax cost me, could probably get the c35 for around the grand and maybe miss import tax.....

so I have pretty much decided a set of wheels is the way to go, what I am now trying to decide on is whether or not to go the c 50's for around $1200.... http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2013/04/d ... her-review

of a set of ENVE ses 3.4 for significantly more which I can get built for around $2900 locally and maybe a bit cheaper if I substitute the stock hubs.... http://www.enve.com/wheels/road/3.4clincher.aspx

everything I have read or spoken to people about sort of indicate that envy is a bit better and one of the best wheelsets you can get, 5yr warranty as opposed to 3 with shimano, about 250grams lighter, enve has been at the forefront of aero tech for a while now and shimano are just starting to take it serious, enves look better imo, and I can choose what hubs I want getting them custom made.

So what would you guys do? Is the extra money worth the jump do you think? I guess that's relative to everyone but im certainly not rich...but at the same time I am one for getting what I want the first time, id hate to get the c50's and than find myself wanting the enve's down the track if I could just buy the enves straight up. I don't want to spend twice as much for very marginal gains though. Anyone had experience with either and can comment? Any further advice much appreciated and thanks for that offered so far...

sdnelson19

Postby sdnelson19 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:59 pm

go here http://www.twebikewheels.com.au/ and talk to Greg, you won't be disappointed.

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm

yanjarra wrote: I don't want to spend twice as much for very marginal gains though.
No matter what you buy the gain is going to be marginal if any at all.
My opinion - save your money, ride as much as possible, then you will have alot more of an idea what you really want to buy.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat May 04, 2013 6:37 pm

If the money is burning a hole in your pocket... get a nice set of wheels ( not an insanely nice set of wheels ) with a power meter built in or some PM cranks. If you've never ridden with a power meter before I can tell you there is no bigger incentive to ride harder :lol: .

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 04, 2013 7:05 pm

yanjarra wrote:trailgumby, nickobec - I am working on the motor also, don't you worry about that....I don't see the harm in upgrading the bike and myself simultaneously though...its not like i'm going to try and stop getting faster because I have some better equipment

ross - that is for the pair, wiggle are doing 25% off plus with an extra discount coupon code applied its down to 1186 plus whatever import tax cost me, could probably get the c35 for around the grand and maybe miss import tax.....
Good to hear :D

I'm in the same boat ... got me eye on a Scalpel 29er for racing on the dirt. I just wish Cannondale wouldn't keep shooting themselves in the foot with screwing people over warranty claims :roll:

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat May 04, 2013 7:50 pm

trailgumby wrote:
yanjarra wrote:trailgumby, nickobec - I am working on the motor also, don't you worry about that....I don't see the harm in upgrading the bike and myself simultaneously though...its not like i'm going to try and stop getting faster because I have some better equipment

Good to hear :D

I'm in the same boat ... got me eye on a Scalpel 29er for racing on the dirt. I just wish Cannondale wouldn't keep shooting themselves in the foot with screwing people over warranty claims :roll:
Get one second hand. That way you get the same warranty without having to pay for it. :?

Cheers,

Cameron

yanjarra

Postby yanjarra » Mon May 06, 2013 12:16 pm

the thing with it all is I pretty much have to get a new set of wheels whether buying a wheelset or as part of an entire new ride as the eurus are tubular and I cant take the constant cost associated with puncturing tubulars all the time...

so saving the money etc is not really an option if I want to continue with the sport of cycling...

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon May 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Get a power tap rear hub if you want to upgrade your bike with something that will seriously improve your performance.

If pro riders with 160 hemoglobin values are using power meters so they can pace more effectively up climbs and during TT's then Im sure its safe to say the recreational rider will also benefit from the valuable pacing information only power meters can provide.
Vegan since 2001.

TDC

Postby TDC » Mon May 13, 2013 2:41 pm

yanjarra wrote:the thing with it all is I pretty much have to get a new set of wheels whether buying a wheelset or as part of an entire new ride as the eurus are tubular and I cant take the constant cost associated with puncturing tubulars all the time...

so saving the money etc is not really an option if I want to continue with the sport of cycling...
You do know you don't have to keep buying new stuff to keep riding?

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon May 13, 2013 5:12 pm

A wise man once said "If you want to improve your cycling and have a grand to spend, the best upgrade you can buy is a week in Italy".

Granted, it was an Englishman speaking, so Italy was a bit more accessible, but the point remains: improving yourself will almost certainly give better results than improving your kit, and you'll enjoy the "upgrade" process more.

Spend your budget on some time off to go riding. Ride somewhere awesome. New wheels won't be new for long, but a week of hard "training" in a place you'd rather be... that will stay with you.

A better rider on a worse bike will still be faster than you...

tim

Minizian

Postby Minizian » Mon May 13, 2013 5:22 pm

I guess best way to upgrade is to upgrade your self. Its more cheaper in long run where you only spend money on consumable or maybe sports food.

I have to admit i not a good performing rider but getting myself a better wheel over the stock one does make you go faster. :D

yanjarra

Postby yanjarra » Wed May 15, 2013 5:56 pm

TDC wrote:
yanjarra wrote:the thing with it all is I pretty much have to get a new set of wheels whether buying a wheelset or as part of an entire new ride as the eurus are tubular and I cant take the constant cost associated with puncturing tubulars all the time...

You do know you don't have to keep buying new stuff to keep riding?

dude, seriously ...come on- read what I said.....that pretty much applies to the last two posters also..

I have tubulars at the moment, I puncture pretty much every fortnight costing me $60 in tyres....that like $1500 a year....why wouldn't I change to clincher?

YES- I do need to spend money, it would be stupid not too given the costs of currently replacing tyres

I really don't need to be lectured on training hard or self improvement hey....that's not the query here....