29er as a Road and Single-track Tourer

rifraf

Re: 29er as a Road and Single-track Tourer

Postby rifraf » Wed May 01, 2013 11:04 pm

Wingnut wrote: But I'm seriously considering getting a Jones Loop bar...and it will have to be a new stem as well (31.8) which is a PIA...
Not to mention pain in the wallet.

Last I checked it was neck and neck between c r c and Bike24 for the best price Thomson X4 (to match your seatpost) and also worth asking J Jones about a price as on his site it talks about "special price when purchased with an H-Bar".

I went with Bike24 as I also wanted a few other items that they did good prices on like my Brooks Flyer Special.
The bundle ended up cheaper than c r c, but of course with the long wait that is Ze German postage. :roll:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu May 02, 2013 4:32 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:With the H bar mounted at the recommended 15-20 degree angle, and with the extender upside-down, I think the Ortlieb bag could be used. It may also be necessary to tilt the bracket down slightly, but this is a good thing anyway as it stops the map case from fluttering. The release button will be under the loop bar but should still be accessible.
I'll have to explore that option but to save time I'll probably also order the SJS extender adapter as well.
Auspost is just killing me.
I've an order from Charliethebikemonger and SJS which hit Aussie shores last Friday and theres so far nothing.
Ok my SJS order arrived today but still no sign of my Charlie order - hopefully tomorrow perhaps.
At least I know I ordered the right size stem spacers after a bit of a muck around in the garage today.
Removed my 38T chainring off the cranks in anticipation of putting on my new 34T ring.
I'll leave it off the cranks for now and will put it on when I'm ready to add the chain/wheels.

With regards to the R&K almost being there "upside down", what length SJS adapter would you go for if you were going in that direction.
The shorter lengths are 55mm and 105mm and then upwards.
I'd plan to utilise the R&K extender combo straight off the Moulton bars albeit without the accessory (gps/speedo) bracket at this stage.

Hmmmmmmm, looks like a mirror will be the next can of worms :idea: :roll:
Last edited by rifraf on Thu May 02, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu May 02, 2013 5:14 pm

Now your going to kick yourself
Mirrors I had a B&M cyclestar on my Thorn, and I have one currently on my Masi. il Padrone has one as well
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu May 02, 2013 5:19 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Now your going to kick yourself
Mirrors I had a B&M cyclestar on my Thorn, and I have one currently on my Masi. il Padrone has one as well
As has the Moulton (see above your post) but I'm not sure ones going to work with the Jones type bar although
I'll have to see. I suppose if its to work it will have to go right at the end of the grip via the plug adapter that it comes with in the packet. The genuine Jones bar might be able to place it where the Titec J-bar has the brake lever perhaps :?:

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu May 02, 2013 9:49 pm

rifraf wrote:With regards to the R&K almost being there "upside down", what length SJS adapter would you go for if you were going in that direction.
The shorter lengths are 55mm and 105mm and then upwards.
I didn't mean use the R&K and extender with the SJS adapter, but to fit it straight to the crossbar. The bracket on the Sabbath is upside-down to give more clearance from the shifter cables - I'll take a photo on the weekend and post it.

But if you want to mount it on an SJS adapter, I have a 105 mm version that you can have for the cost of postage. It is too fugly for me. Come to think of it, the diameter of the tubing is probably too small for the R&K clamps, so you'll have to use the Ortlieb bracket. I will dig it all out and check for you on the weekend.

After a long hard look at the Jones bar, I've pretty much decided to put the $400 toward a new fishing kayak.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu May 02, 2013 11:37 pm

I'm now considering a pair of these in Ti...$275 plus postage, a fair bit cheaper than the Jones...a more forward position too.Image

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri May 03, 2013 12:41 am

They look like Groovy Cycleworks Ti LuvHandles?

http://www.groovycycleworks.com/Pages/LuvHandles.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri May 03, 2013 12:59 am

RonK wrote: I didn't mean use the R&K and extender with the SJS adapter, but to fit it straight to the crossbar. The bracket on the Sabbath is upside-down to give more clearance from the shifter cables - I'll take a photo on the weekend and post it.
I'll look forward to the pics :!:
RonK wrote:But if you want to mount it on an SJS adapter, I have a 105 mm version that you can have for the cost of postage. It is too fugly for me. Come to think of it, the diameter of the tubing is probably too small for the R&K clamps, so you'll have to use the Ortlieb bracket. I will dig it all out and check for you on the weekend.
Thank you, drop me a line via PM if it turns up. :D
RonK wrote:After a long hard look at the Jones bar, I've pretty much decided to put the $400 toward a new fishing kayak.
I'd agree, but over here in WA there's been too many nibblings of kayaks and surfboards to tempt me to even wet my toes in the sea. I keep visualising Mr Eastwood asking "Feeling lucky punk?" :shock:

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Fri May 03, 2013 9:43 am

singlespeedscott wrote:They look like Groovy Cycleworks Ti LuvHandles?

http://www.groovycycleworks.com/Pages/LuvHandles.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They sure are...I also don't need to update my stem with these bars too...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat May 04, 2013 3:42 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote: I didn't mean use the R&K and extender with the SJS adapter, but to fit it straight to the crossbar. The bracket on the Sabbath is upside-down to give more clearance from the shifter cables - I'll take a photo on the weekend and post it.
I'll look forward to the pics :!:
RonK wrote:But if you want to mount it on an SJS adapter, I have a 105 mm version that you can have for the cost of postage. It is too fugly for me. Come to think of it, the diameter of the tubing is probably too small for the R&K clamps, so you'll have to use the Ortlieb bracket. I will dig it all out and check for you on the weekend.
Thank you, drop me a line via PM if it turns up. :D
RonK wrote:After a long hard look at the Jones bar, I've pretty much decided to put the $400 toward a new fishing kayak.
I'd agree, but over here in WA there's been too many nibblings of kayaks and surfboards to tempt me to even wet my toes in the sea. I keep visualising Mr Eastwood asking "Feeling lucky punk?" :shock:
Ahhhhhh, just get a Shark Shield and you'll be right.

OK, I found the Thorn bar extender, and it has an Ortlieb bracket already attached. Hope I can find the keys.

I think it should fit in a 500gm satchel which is around $7.00 to post.

PM me your address details and I'll post it next week.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat May 04, 2013 4:38 pm

RonK wrote: Ahhhhhh, just get a Shark Shield and you'll be right.
Oh, I'd just throw some excrement at them - I'm sure there would be no trouble finding some...... :shock:
RonK wrote:OK, I found the Thorn bar extender, and it has an Ortlieb bracket already attached. Hope I can find the keys.

I think it should fit in a 500gm satchel which is around $7.00 to post.

PM me your address details and I'll post it next week.
Magic :!: Muchos Gracias :!:
Thank you for digging that out.
PM sent. :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri May 10, 2013 10:20 pm

Picked up my wheels today.
Would have been nicer if they had kept the rims both in the same direction and stickers matching but C'est la vie!
Nice to have them finished and ready to add disks (tomorrows job).
Just awaiting Ronks SJS adapter and I've cautiously booked in for a headset installation for next Friday which should give the mailman ample time to sort out his act.
The Deity alone knows what Auspost was doing with my BBB XL Fueltanks for all this time, but thankfully they were no fun and so finally delivered them to me today whilst I was out picking up wheels.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:37 pm

Aidan did you supply the rims or purchased as part of the build?

Ricky

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri May 10, 2013 10:51 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Aidan did you supply the rims or purchased as part of the build?

Ricky
Hi Ricky,
I supplied the lot.
Rims, spokes, hubs and rim tape.
I remembered to stipulate spoke pattern. I remembered to tell them not to be clever and try to adjust dynamo hub bearings (I could tell you stories) and not to grease anything no matter how tempted.
I didnt remember to stipulate rim sticker or general orientation as my head was filled with other things this morning.
Mainly why the hell was I out of bed so damn early. :shock:
Hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes from Ze Germans of pedestrain postage and Velocity Dyad rims courtesy of Uncle Sam (USA).
Jensonusa did me a good price on the rims with my Surly Ogre frame.
USA postage was a heart attack too with the frame being "misplaced" by Auspost and its arrival was approx 3 weeks after the rims turned up although both were sent the same day.

I would have loved to have got wheelbuilder.com to once again build my wheels for me but I couldnt handle the stress of letting that Rohloff out of my sight for so long so I opted to get done local.
Stressful in itself as the WA bikes shops have been booked for weeks in advance solid and things are only now cooling off both temperature wise and bookings wise.

Hows your trip going? Or are you home again?

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:01 pm

Dammit Aidan I wish I knew you were going to use Velocity rims I would have not recommended it there not up to the task I'm so sorry I didn't catch this earlier.

Ricky

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:03 pm

Front

Rear

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:04 pm

Those rims were running TYRES at 50 PSI

Ricky

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:09 pm

rifraf wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Aidan did you supply the rims or purchased as part of the build?

Ricky
Hi Ricky,
I supplied the lot.
Rims, spokes, hubs and rim tape.
I remembered to stipulate spoke pattern. I remembered to tell them not to be clever and try to adjust dynamo hub bearings (I could tell you stories) and not to grease anything no matter how tempted.
I didnt remember to stipulate rim sticker or general orientation as my head was filled with other things this morning.
Mainly why the hell was I out of bed so damn early. :shock:
Hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes from Ze Germans of pedestrain postage and Velocity Dyad rims courtesy of Uncle Sam (USA).
Jensonusa did me a good price on the rims with my Surly Ogre frame.
USA postage was a heart attack too with the frame being "misplaced" by Auspost and its arrival was approx 3 weeks after the rims turned up although both were sent the same day.

I would have loved to have got wheelbuilder.com to once again build my wheels for me but I couldnt handle the stress of letting that Rohloff out of my sight for so long so I opted to get done local.
Stressful in itself as the WA bikes shops have been booked for weeks in advance solid and things are only now cooling off both temperature wise and bookings wise.

Hows your trip going? Or are you home again?
Good to hear that your build is coming together with some great stuff being added I'm sorry mate I didn't catch what brand of rims you were using. I'm still pounding the pavement I did 230 clicks today and made it to Glendambo.

Ricky

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri May 10, 2013 11:10 pm

Well the Dyads are the 700c extrusion of the Aeroheat.
The Moulton hauled my lard ass and trailer from Mudgee NSW to Adelaide to Perth using Aeroheats and CX-Ray spokes, IGH and dynohub and gave no issue.
I found lots of positive waffle on the net about Dyads and not a lot of negative and I did look.
As well being disk braked I expect them to out last the Moultons Aeroheats.
If your right and things turn to brown custard, then I'll look again.
To be honest I found more examples of Mavic failures than Velocity after much searching and I was originally favoring the Mavics.
Velocitys are also used by many tandam manufacturers as well as well known custom bike makers like Co-motion.
I'm not too worried and know Velocity had shown good examples of customer care in the case of failure by cycle tourists visiting other countries.

Saying that, I'm glad I'm not the owner of those particular rims. :o
Thanks for the pics. :shock:

Heres hoping my 2.35 Big Apples are gentle :D

As for 230 clicks..... Dont forget to stop and smell some roses.
I did a couple of 120 click days on the Moulton and gotta say, never again.
I was so tired and sore the next day I didnt want to even look at my bike. :lol:
I'm more of a 50 - 75km kinda guy when I'm hauling a trailer.
Yeah soft as spaghetti :lol: I know your trailer is likely heavier than mine.
Last edited by rifraf on Fri May 10, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:19 pm

rifraf wrote:Well the Dyads are the 700c extrusion of the Aeroheat.
The Moulton hauled my lard ass and trailer from Mudgee NSW to Adelaide to Perth using Aeroheats and CX-Ray spokes, IGH and dynohub and gave no issue.
I found lots of positive waffle on the net about Dyads and not a lot of negative and I did look.
As well being disk braked I expect them to out last the Moultons Aeroheats.
If your right and things turn to brown custard, then I'll look again.
To be honest I found more examples of Mavic failures than Velocity after much searching and I was originally favoring the Mavics.
Velocitys are also used by many tandam manufacturers as well as well known custom bike makers like Co-motion.
I'm not too worried and know Velocity had shown good examples of customer care in the case of failure by cycle tourists visiting other countries.

Saying that, I'm glad I'm not the owner of those particular rims. :o
Thanks for the pics. :shock:
Ok just glad you did your research and I really hope that all is good I would hate for you to experience what I did plus all the poor bastardds that had the same experience as me with the exact same failure.

:mrgreen: There my rims that is my touring failure I had another set flown in from the USA minus Velocity branded rims once I did a google search I soon changed brands.

I was running Big Apples as well :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri May 10, 2013 11:28 pm

No, thanks for the warning. :!:
I'm definitely keep a sharp eye on the rims and do lots of checking. :idea:
Certainly not a good look splitting like that.
And you found plenty of others with the same/similar issue - well I must have missed those pages. :?
Like I said, thanks heaps for the heads up. Hopefully I'll spot any issue before catastrophic failure putting me on the road and maybe
doing worse than fractured ribs like my last fall.
Last edited by rifraf on Sat May 11, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat May 11, 2013 8:02 am

I haven't had much luck with Velocity rims myself. No spectacular failures as above. But I have found them to be very easy to dent when running low pressures on the MTB.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sat May 11, 2013 2:30 pm

That's pisspoor by the builder Rif. You shouldn't have to tell them that but I've had wheels built that you'd think a work experience kid did them. A mechanic at a well known Melb shop even built an OCR rear the wrong way round! That's why I build my own now. And (btw I use Velocity exclusively road and MTB w/o probs) I always check the front rim at the join prior to purchase for smoothness, as you want to minimise any shudder under braking.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat May 11, 2013 5:12 pm

rifraf wrote:Picked up my wheels today.
Would have been nicer if they had kept the rims both in the same direction and stickers matching but C'est la vie!
Nice to have them finished and ready to add disks (tomorrows job).
Just awaiting Ronks SJS adapter and I've cautiously booked in for a headset installation for next Friday which should give the mailman ample time to sort out his act.
The Deity alone knows what Auspost was doing with my BBB XL Fueltanks for all this time, but thankfully they were no fun and so finally delivered them to me today whilst I was out picking up wheels.
Hey rif

Where is the drain hole located on the rohloff? Should be directly opposite the valve hole according to rohloff manual
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat May 11, 2013 6:56 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
Hey rif

Where is the drain hole located on the rohloff? Should be directly opposite the valve hole according to rohloff manual
I handed him the manual FFS, would you like me to hold his hand as well?

I've had not a lot of luck with wheelbuilders or bikeshops in general here in WA.

The two shops I tried previously with regards wheelbuilding are both regarded as "Top Shops" from what I've been told and recommended.
The first tried to tell me that you cant use CX-Rays with a Rohloff because the blades are too big for the holes.
Moving right along (no way that intelligent gentleman is going within bargepoles length of any bike of mine).
The second and one you yourself on occasion frequent Baalzamon, wanted to increase his quoted price when he saw one of my hubs was a Rohloff. (Sounded like an idea to me that should be wrapped in barbed wire and used as a suppository, which displeased him somewhat when I suggested it. Bargepole anyone?)

Current address is tenuous at best but once I've a settled address I'll revisit my last decision with regards to sending the hubs to wheelbuilder.com in the USA where I got the Moultons wheels built.
I should have just paid the money in the first place as it would have ended up quicker in the long run instead of relying on any over here. I should have known better from prior experience.