Riding around Oxley???

michaelten

Riding around Oxley???

Postby michaelten » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi,

I'm in Oxley next week for work and I am going to take my road bike up with me.

I finish work around 4pm and wanting to ride after then. Is it possible to do Mt Coot-tha from Oxley? How would I get there from Oxley?

Any other places worth riding while I'm up there?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Michael

BrisVegas

Re: Riding around Oxley???

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:24 pm

Jump on 17 mile rocks road near Oxley train station. Head up over the hill and continue on til it joins onto the centenary Highway Bike Path. Cross the river and follow the path til you get to the Toowong Roundabout and you'll see a bike/ped bridge over the motorway. Take that and follow it up THE HILL. Mt Cootha is a loop, so you can either take the first left and go up the front side or continue around the back, which is steeper.

http://goo.gl/maps/QFzGZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

munga

Postby munga » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:31 pm

BrisVegas wrote:Jump on 17 mile rocks road near Oxley train station. Head up over the hill and continue on til it joins onto the centenary Highway Bike Path. Cross the river and follow the path til you get to the Toowong Roundabout and you'll see a bike/ped bridge over the motorway. Take that and follow it up THE HILL. Mt Cootha is a loop, so you can either take the first left and go up the front side or continue around the back, which is steeper.

http://goo.gl/maps/QFzGZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
+1

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:43 pm

oh, forgot to add that you can jump on the "River Loop" just down Oxley Rd near the Indooroopilly bridge. Should be plenty of cyclists to follow if you get lost.

Here's one example... http://app.strava.com/segments/1590094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks very much for your help.

Is anyone keen to ride Mt Coot-Tha with me? Probably not Monday night though as I would of been up since 3.30am that day.

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:57 pm

Rode Mt Coot-tha back today. I wasn't really sure which way I had to go and ended up doing the back first. I took it a bit easy as I was unsure how long it was and if it got any worse. 13.15 for Coot-tha back, I'm happy with that for a first attempt

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:13 pm

Awesome!!! Congrats...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks mate.

I was talking to a guy on the cycle way on the return trip and he said to give Mt Nebo a try.

Looking at the maps on my phone I found it. Do I head the same way as I did for Coot-tha and then take the right turn into Simpson?

Is Mt Nebo steeper than Coot-tha? How does it compare? Strava says its 20k long only 1.9%, does it kick up and flatten off repeatedly? How's the traffic on Mt Nebo Rd around 4ish? Anything else to know?

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:14 am

michaelten wrote:Is Mt Nebo steeper than Coot-tha? How does it compare? Strava says its 20k long only 1.9%, does it kick up and flatten off repeatedly? How's the traffic on Mt Nebo Rd around 4ish? Anything else to know?
It's a bit up and down - climbs a fair bit the first few km though. If you can do coot-tha nebo shouldn't be a problem.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:53 am

Your directions are correct.
Definitely worth the ride.
Nebo is a longer distance, with a number of mini climbs. Cootha is a longer single climb.
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:54 am

Traffic will be fine.
Nebo is sign posted for bike and locals know that it is a popular cycling climb.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:08 am

If you got the time (most likely on a weekend as you don't want to be attempting Mt Glorious in the dark - too many animals and very fast 70+ downhill speeds) you could continue and power on up to the little restaurant at Mt Glorious for a drink and something to nibble on (if your a motorbike fan you'll love the place. Great views too). If you then want to get back home quicker head towards Samford as its pretty flat until you get to the hill out of Samford to Ferny Grove. Just be cafeful on the brakes on your way into Samford as the decent can give you brake fade if you use them too much at speed. IIRC its something like a 500m elevation change in just a few km. If your legs are stuffed when you get to Ferny grove just get on the train to the city and change onto an Ipswich or Richlands train to get to Oxley.

Clear Mountain Road is another place that's a challenging climb (its between Samford and Eatons Hill/Strathpine) which has a few 15/17 degree climbs but I think that would be way to far out of your way when Mt Cootha is by far so much closer and has a better road surface/less risk of animal strikes when decending.

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks for your help.

I am only up here for the week, I go home on Friday afternoon. I'll try to give Mt Nebo a go on Wednesday.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Wish i could join you tomorrow on Nebo, but I've got an early meeting at work. I've only done Nebo once, but i'd concur with the others in that is much longer than Cootha but doesn't have any continuous climbs as tough as Cootha. Plenty of flats and downs between the climbs to recover. I'm a big, relatively unfit bloke, and I managed to drag myself up there. For reference, I'm not as fast as you up Cootha back, if that helps.

If it's a bit wet like it was this morning, then pay attention on the corners when you come down.

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:37 pm

I just got back from Mt Nebo (well I didn't quite get there!)

It's a nice ride out there, it would be nice in the morning. I went 15km past the service station that is the start of the Mt Nebo section on strava. It was quite dark and the light on my bike is fairly rubbish so I thought it would be a good idea to head home. I left Oxley about 4.30, an hour earlier would of been good.
I think a nice easy ride tomorrow afternoon, might do Coot-tha front side I think.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed May 01, 2013 10:08 am

michaelten wrote:I just got back from Mt Nebo (well I didn't quite get there!)

It's a nice ride out there, it would be nice in the morning. I went 15km past the service station that is the start of the Mt Nebo section on strava. It was quite dark and the light on my bike is fairly rubbish so I thought it would be a good idea to head home. I left Oxley about 4.30, an hour earlier would of been good.
I think a nice easy ride tomorrow afternoon, might do Coot-tha front side I think.
that is certainly a brave one to leave Oxley at 4.30 pm destined for Mt Nebo !
and return intact having almost got there !
The issues include Waterworks Rd (very bicycle unfriendly) and marsupials, narrow roads and tired drivers once you start to get into the hills.
Mt Coot-tha is much more possible to enjoy in the evening, though it can get busy with cars going to the Kuta Cafe.

Years ago there was a bloke who would ride up Coot-tha almost every evening, sometimes as late as midnight.
He did this for at least a few years.

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Wed May 01, 2013 11:02 am

Lots of cars and traffic in the dark on the way back. The descent was fun, still hit 70k's in the dark with my !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! little light!

Marto

Postby Marto » Wed May 01, 2013 4:06 pm

Don't discount some closer climbs also. They are short, but you can link them together on a climbing circuit entirely in back streets. The best Oxley climb I've found is the Cliveden Avenue hill which is a 55 metre climb averaging 8.9% (with a nice 19% pinch near the top). Carlyle Street, on the other side of that ridge is similarly steep but shorter. Dewar Terrace, close to those two, averages 11%, with a 17% pinchy, but is only a 22 metre climb. You could make a circuit of these 3 totaling 100 ish metres of climbing each repeat.

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Thu May 02, 2013 5:39 pm

Just had another go at Coot-tha back, 11.45.

Looks like I'm back up here next week as well but staying in Annerley. How do I get to Mt Coot-tha from there? Google is saying to go into the city to get over the river. Any ideas?

Thanks

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu May 02, 2013 6:24 pm

Best way would be over the bridge to St Lucia University and then make your way to Towoong either to the shops and going along Sherwood Road to the bus depot or head a bit futher down to the Regatta and then along Sulivan Road to the bus depot.

Sylvan Road - http://goo.gl/maps/tMo0g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sherwood Road - http://goo.gl/maps/AodBX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Thu May 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks mate, looks pretty easy to get to.

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri May 03, 2013 10:51 am

michaelten wrote:Thanks mate, looks pretty easy to get to.
Yes but it gets a bit messy navigating through the Uni.
If you dont make a few wrong turns consider yourself PhD material.
The main landmark to identify the start of Sylvan Road is the Regatta Hotel.
Take care !

munga

Postby munga » Fri May 03, 2013 3:34 pm

elantra wrote:
michaelten wrote: Years ago there was a bloke who would ride up Coot-tha almost every evening, sometimes as late as midnight.
He did this for at least a few years.

Was this bloke called Steve? Tall skinny bloke with glasses? I think i know him!