6K Club 2013 Edition

Mustang

Re: 6K Club 2013 Edition

Postby Mustang » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:19 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Mustang wrote: I had a comedy of errors, stepped away from the barrier with bike in hand & cleats went from under me , landed on top of the bike & bent the RD into the spokes, 5.30am & no help at hand, so I just straightened the hanger as far as I dared. Had some gears no high & no low, rode to 62km before the hanger parted company & the RD was playing 'Duelling Banjos" in the rear spokes.
Hitched a ride to Eumundi where the mechanic made me into a single speed, was too slow & had to abandon :x :x :x
I'll be there next year.
As long as it wasn't the Hetchins! Looking at the ride it would of been quite double on a singlespeed.
I conteplated the Hetchins but I need to tune it, wasn't ready for a 160 yet. The ride for you on a single would be dooable as you say, no worse than the E'roica
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:33 pm

duds2u, top effort pushing through for a time like that. Mustang, shame about your issues, hopefully that's your share of bad luck out of the way for a while now.

I took a detour over a couple of hills on the way home this afternoon to get my monthly climbing goal conquered for April. The end result was another successful month with 7066m climbed over 438km, losing a bit of the buffer over the triangles but keeping ahead and keeping the 6999+ a month goal alive.

As I look ahead to May it will be time for ride two in the Illawarra Dirt Series. A few recon rides let me work out a 76km loop for the Bundanoon Bash to be held on the 18th. On top of the exploratory rides to suss things out and find some of the best bits of the area the preparation involved plenty of piecing together sections from a few gpx files, cutting bits out, reversing others and using some autorouting on bikeroutetoaster to put it all together. Looking forward to riding the course in it's entirety on the day.

I also have the return of the Global Corporate Challenge starting up again later in May. Some of you may remember from last year the 112 day challenge which saw me do a bit of swimming and running as I aimed to meet all the mini challenges issued along the way. I was asked to take part again this year although this year I've decided to make sure the other activities don't come at the expense of my riding in that I won't be skipping or shortening a ride one day so that I have a better chance for a mini challenge the next. Still going to try and do all the mini challenges though so that should make the whole thing more challenging than last year and push me that bit harder.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed May 01, 2013 7:57 am

coffeeandwine wrote:I agree with Norbs. If the initial figure of 6km was correct then 27 should be the next target kms. :wink:
27kms done just for you :D

First ride on the CX bike since November last year

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Wed May 01, 2013 9:08 am

howdy again 6kers, wow some of you have been doing some impressive riding!
grantw, that sounds like an awesome ride, well done.
my month of April:
21 rides (65 ytd)
739km (2518 ytd)
12652mtrs (45534ytd)

Lot's of small rides - including 6-7 with the mrs which is great. Highlight of the month was definitely a ride called 'The Demons Double'. Any Vic's on this thread, it's 176km, about 4500m of climbing, and takes in Lake Mountain, Mt Donna Buang, and the Reefton Spur. One of the best day's I've had on a bike. Not an organised ride, just a good route I did with a couple of mates.
Also in April, I did 'The Crucifix' - Mt Dandenong 4 different ways up & down in the one ride, 75km with 2200m of climbing.

Very happy with the month, ahead of what's sure to be a few quieter months ahead!
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed May 01, 2013 9:44 am

Been reading some impressive figures in here guys. Keep up the work!

After a bumper January (for me, anyway), I've struggled to maintain momentum. Buying a MTB really doesn't help. A 2 hour ride around Old Mans Valley gets you about 20-odd km compared to 60 on the road!

Just managed to sneak over 400km last month which is my lowest except when my bike or I have been off the road. Feb was pretty low too at 470km but March was ok thanks to the Bobbin Head Classic, totaling 730-odd.

I'm still 310km ahead of target which is cool, but climbing is struggling - only 800m ahead! I need to keep pedaling!

Cheers,
Dave

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:55 am

I have just completed my best ever month, 776 Ks.

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:55 pm

I have downed my 6k to 5.2k (100km per week) as with work and other things it was going to be too hard to get to.

April was my best month ever with 672km completed including one whole week of no riding as I was on call and my wife was in hospital getting a pace maker so I was Mr Mum for a bit. Got a little bit more riding in than I would normally tho as I was off work for 1.5 weeks, no long, long rides as I needed to stay closeish to home.

So good work all, keep up the good work!

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed May 01, 2013 9:20 pm

It's nice to see my actual ahead of the pro-rate again. I really should post my distances more often.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

diventare

Postby diventare » Thu May 02, 2013 3:52 am

Hopefully not too late to join in....

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu May 02, 2013 10:48 am

Mugglechops wrote:
coffeeandwine wrote:I agree with Norbs. If the initial figure of 6km was correct then 27 should be the next target kms. :wink:
27kms done just for you :D

First ride on the CX bike since November last year
:D

Nice work Mugglechops-correct mathematical sequence has been followed...but I've lost track of where we were up to :)

How are you recovering after so long off the bike? Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

cheers
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu May 02, 2013 10:58 am

oldnewby wrote:howdy again 6kers, wow some of you have been doing some impressive riding!
grantw, that sounds like an awesome ride, well done.
my month of April:
21 rides (65 ytd)
739km (2518 ytd)
12652mtrs (45534ytd)

Lot's of small rides - including 6-7 with the mrs which is great. Highlight of the month was definitely a ride called 'The Demons Double'. Any Vic's on this thread, it's 176km, about 4500m of climbing, and takes in Lake Mountain, Mt Donna Buang, and the Reefton Spur. One of the best day's I've had on a bike. Not an organised ride, just a good route I did with a couple of mates.
Also in April, I did 'The Crucifix' - Mt Dandenong 4 different ways up & down in the one ride, 75km with 2200m of climbing.

Very happy with the month, ahead of what's sure to be a few quieter months ahead!
Very nice work Oldnewby!!!

We were pretty much on a par for km last year but you have absolutely shot out of the blocks this year. Those are some impressive climbs.

482km for April for me; 3,957m climbing
1956km YTD; 18,078m climbed.

Managed to get behind again :(

The Team has signed up for ATB (Oct) again and I'm thinking of Amy's Gran Fondo in Sept...

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Thu May 02, 2013 12:30 pm

Thought'd I'd "officially" join the club. I got back into riding over the Christmas holidays on a old bike, after 2 weeks I upgraded to something better suited (alloy bike with 105's). Thinking that'd I'd only be commuting on it with a couple rides a week.

Originally I only counted riding 100-130 Km's a week so I had a goal of 5,000km for the year. Started off slow with hitting my original expected weekly average, then had a week off the bike due to rain, a few weeks later, another week off due to a training course and then a third week due to illness (end of March/early April).

Fast-forward 3-4 weeks, I got through just over 800km in April with 10,000 elevation (from Jan-Mar I only had 10,000km elevation) which brought be back from the red to the green of my new adjusted goal of 6,000km for the year! I'm hoping in May to have another 800km month to create some buffer in the event I get another cold or I'm kept off the bike for a week or so.

Crazy to think that originally I only planned on 1-2 mornings a week, now I'm at 4 mornings a week and contemplating some evening rides. What's even more outstanding is the weight loss, just a shame I threw out some old shirts thinking they'd never fit again back in February :(

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Thu May 02, 2013 11:26 pm

cheers c&w, yeah it's been a good start, I reckon I'll slump during winter.. but absolutely loving it at the moment.
I think the same thing happened last year, you caught me from June-Sept (I am soft!), and we were neck and neck til the end of the year.
I'm hoping for ATB 250 this year, but I gotta be honest, I'm already looking fwd to Alpine Classic next year.. loving the hills.

Well done Ignoto, great to have you on board. 10000m climbing in a month is a fair achievement, great stuff!
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:21 am

Finally, it's happened, I'm 14 k ahead of the line. (For now).

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:26 am

Ignoto wrote:Thought'd I'd "officially" join the club. I got back into riding over the Christmas holidays on a old bike, after 2 weeks I upgraded to something better suited (alloy bike with 105's). Thinking that'd I'd only be commuting on it with a couple rides a week.

Originally I only counted riding 100-130 Km's a week so I had a goal of 5,000km for the year. Started off slow with hitting my original expected weekly average, then had a week off the bike due to rain, a few weeks later, another week off due to a training course and then a third week due to illness (end of March/early April).

Fast-forward 3-4 weeks, I got through just over 800km in April with 10,000 elevation (from Jan-Mar I only had 10,000km elevation) which brought be back from the red to the green of my new adjusted goal of 6,000km for the year! I'm hoping in May to have another 800km month to create some buffer in the event I get another cold or I'm kept off the bike for a week or so.

Crazy to think that originally I only planned on 1-2 mornings a week, now I'm at 4 mornings a week and contemplating some evening rides. What's even more outstanding is the weight loss, just a shame I threw out some old shirts thinking they'd never fit again back in February :(

Great work mate - I'm a bit the same, although, I started in mid-October last year. It is blardy addictive once you get into it and this forum as well as Strava are great ways to monitor your improvement and see how you fare in the whole scheme of things. Keep it up!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri May 03, 2013 10:21 am

coffeeandwine wrote:
Nice work Mugglechops-correct mathematical sequence has been followed...but I've lost track of where we were up to :)

How are you recovering after so long off the bike? Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

cheers

It's going pretty good had phsyio this morning and I now have more movement than when the pins were in.
Last edited by Mugglechops on Fri May 03, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri May 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Got out on my new bike this morning for a quick 30km, it's lurverly :-)

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:30 pm

Mugglechops wrote:
coffeeandwine wrote:

cheers

It's going pretty good had phsyio this morning and I now have more movement than when the pins were in.

good to see you clocking up some k's! 8)

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Fri May 03, 2013 6:27 pm

Mugglechops wrote: It's going pretty good had phsyio this morning and I now have more movement than when the pins were in.
++ Good to hear mate.

Gary78

Postby Gary78 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:08 pm

FXST01 wrote:Finally, it's happened, I'm 14 k ahead of the line. (For now).
Just good to see the green, no matter how little the number in front.
Ridley Excalibur-Road
BMC Team Elite 02-MTB

norbs

Postby norbs » Sat May 04, 2013 7:36 pm

Ride on the M7 turned to poo today when my mate ended up in an ambo. :(

Then I broke a spoke on my rear wheel. Damn you Sydney!

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Sat May 04, 2013 7:53 pm

norbs wrote:Ride on the M7 turned to poo today when my mate ended up in an ambo. :(

Then I broke a spoke on my rear wheel. Damn you Sydney!
Is he OK?

sblack

Postby sblack » Sat May 04, 2013 8:19 pm

Damn, not a good day for you norbs, what happened with your mate?

Lewy, good to see how well your progress is going. Let me know when you're up to getting out the dirt again. After the Bundanoon Bash on the 18th my off road focus can head down your way.

oldnewby, you have an impressive amount of climbing for the start of the year, think it's time to up your goal. Even with a winter slump 100000+ should be within your reach, especially given you're already looking towards next years Alpine Classic.

norbs

Postby norbs » Sat May 04, 2013 9:49 pm

Just heard from his wife. Staying in hospital over night for observation. Broken right clavicle and concussion is the main worries. Badly bruised ribs and a fair bit of skin off.

It was very weird. He just slowly veered off the path for some reason. Tried to get back on and caught the lip of the path and hit the ground hard. I was about 100m back so the GoPro didnt quite catch it.

His helmet cracked right through in 3 spots.

AndrewW

Postby AndrewW » Sun May 05, 2013 11:33 am

Damn sounds nasty. I've gone off the road a few times, just a 5s lapse in concentration can do it if you're riding within a foot of the road. Normally then that wakes you right up though but if it's a nasty section I could definitely see how you'd come off getting back on the road. Hope he recovers and is back on the bike soon.

Welcome diventare and Ignoto, the more the merrier imo. I've only just joined myself but it's pretty friendly around here. I've started doing group rides these past couple of weeks and been loving it. Helps melt away the kms out riding in a group, helps with the motivation on those cold mornings when you know someone's out there waiting for you and I think teaches you good habits about bike control and pacing. Plus you get to meet heaps of interesting people.

Starting to get cold around here now, had a few 2-3 degree rides and it's only going to get worse. Goal for this week is to put in an order somewhere for some proper cycling clothes. Desperately need a new pair of shoes that actually fit so my feet don't go completely numb after 2 hours, and a pair of gloves, and possibly long sleeve jersey/tights. Might also buy some clear glasses. My sunnies are pretty useless at night time but if I take them off I know I'm gonna cop a bug in the eye at 60km/h and that could be very messy.