People staring

Cyclaholic

People staring

Postby Cyclaholic » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:04 am

I went to the local shopping center for milk and groceries today, and I took my 2 year old with me in the trailer. My local shopping center is Stocklands at Wetherill Park. It is next to the T-way, which links to a bike path that runs a block from my place, so except for a short bit on a quiet street it's all off road bike paths to/from the shops.

It was my first trip to the shops with the trailer behind the 'bent and I wasn't expecting the amount of interest it drew. A small crowd gathered as I locked up, most just gawked, there were lots of positive comments, and of course there was one who had to make a negative comment about irresponsible parenting and exposing my child to danger.... that was from a pregnant woman pushing a pram and smoking. :roll: I just let it go without saying anything, she presented a pathetic enough portrait of a 'parent' as it was without me having to state the obvious.

When I came out of the shops again a small crowd gathered to watch me load my bags and child into the trailer. It was OK at first and I was happy to chat with people that were curious about the bike. I was a little surprised that nobody I talked to had ever see or heard of a recumbent before, many even thought I'd built it myself! ...Then I started getting a little annoyed with people that just stood and gawked as if they were at a freak show, so I said to my daughter as I buckled her in "look sweetie, everyone is staring, but we don't stare because that's rude, isn't it" I said it loud enough for everyone to hear but not everyone got the message. :roll:

How do you guys deal with the unwanted attention? I don't mind people talking to me about the bike at all, I just dislike people standing there and staring, especially when I have my kids with me.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:50 am

G day Cyclaholic... we must almost be neighbours,(fairfield here)

Ive had exactly the same experience when I used to tow my son in the trailer... :roll: :o

I used to just get things loaded ...and answer ppls Q's as I go... then just wish the by-standers a good day and just ride off....they seem to understand....no-on was chasing after me.... I must have been blind to the starers :shock: ....just ignored them. :)

Hope this helps.
Mark.

PS maybe we could do the T way one day.
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

sogood

Re: People staring

Postby sogood » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:40 am

Cyclaholic wrote:How do you guys deal with the unwanted attention?
Ride a Huffy! :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: People staring

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:24 am

sogood wrote:
Cyclaholic wrote:How do you guys deal with the unwanted attention?
Ride a Huffy! :wink:
:D

I prefer to don tights and wear my underwear on the outside ..... but that's enough of my fetishes: we should get back to your question .... ;)

Recumbenteer has the right approach: be polite and just go about your business. They are not staring because they are impolite, but because your bike is interesting to them. Enjoy it.

As you become accustomed to the reactions, you'll find ways to have fun with it. My favourite is to park it next to a high end carbon fibre road bike and watch how the reaction to your bike affects the owner of the CF money pit. :twisted:

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

biftek

Postby biftek » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:27 am

i don't think its any more different then looking at a rare car parked , looking at the car not at the person , same deal with this looking at the bike not at the person

about the only time people look at me is when i pull out the 2 chains , one for back wheel and frame the other for the front wheel , or when its pissing down with rain and they see me riding around

vonhazza

Postby vonhazza » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:21 pm

Hi Cycleholic

I don't think you can ride a bent and not be the subject of curiousty we are just more interesting than DF bikes.

My mate I ride with has DF bike and recons he is just about invisable when he is riding with me and I am on my bent, He made a comment that he could rob a bank and get away on his bike and not get noticed as long as I sat out the front on the bent.

all the best,

Steve,
Cruzbike Kit recumbent.

Cyclaholic

Postby Cyclaholic » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:29 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I had another think about it this morning and felt a bit silly that I even let it get to me. :oops:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:41 pm

Yes if you stand out in some way then people are going to be interested, its natural. But some times you really don't feel like standing out.

As for the person stating it was dangerous for the child, I'm assuming he had the statistical analysis that backed that claim :wink:
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

william

Postby william » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:47 pm

Hi Guys,
My first post here trying to understand "my" fascination with the bents.
As a regular type bike rider I too would like to know more and maybe too shy to ask "dumb" questions. Help me elsewhere please when the questions start firing.
For now, reading about the Gawkers makes me think of a time in Sydney when a beautiful looking blonde parked her red Ferrari in a public beach car park. After a few minutes you couldn't see the car. Somehow I feel your outfit may have the same attention except for one woman expressing the limitations of her intelligence.
I also drove taxi's on a Saturday night and you can have 99 good passengers but one bastard. You need to focus on the 99 but the bad one always lingers in a negative way.

I think also the child trailers are fantastic and when I discovered the love of cycling my youngest was already 5. but she excitedly jumps to life when we go for a ride with the tag-a-long. maybe a 10 or 15 K ride just for an ice cream.
I focus on her joy and that makes all the difference.

William.

Recycler

Looking!!

Postby Recycler » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:30 pm

Howdy , Just sit back, join in and enjoy!