Tandem Chain

Comedian

Tandem Chain

Postby Comedian » Sat May 04, 2013 2:03 pm

The chain on the tandem needs replacing. Thing is... normal chains that you buy are nowhere near long enough. Does anyone know if you can buy long chains, or should I just buy two normal ones and join them? It's just the chain from the front to the back, so has no changing to worry about. :) Any ideas?

jackthelad

Re: Tandem Chain

Postby jackthelad » Sat May 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Look online
I'm sure you could a tandem length chain or
box of chain, like they use building bikes
similar to cable box, email the tandem manufacturer?
john
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat May 04, 2013 4:04 pm

I just ordered 3 chains for my velomobile. I think I will need 2 and a bit.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat May 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Most use two chains a full length one and a short one. (and save the remainder for next time, or a friend). I have even committed sacrilege by using different brands of chain.

There are a couple of schools of thought.
Some use the cheapest chains they can find reasoning that you are not asking a lot of them as a chain. No excessive strain, straight chain line etc. K-mart sold KMC Z chains under the cylops brand in either 1/8" or 3/32". The old style chains with protruding pins can be rejoined without special pins or links. I once had a garage door opener that had about a 6m 1/8" chain.

Others will use the same chain as their drive chain. Apart from the aesthetics it means that spares, links etc are easy.

My bike has a 10speed sync chain and a 9speed drive chain, but that is for better clearance from the extra sync chain for the kiddy cranks.
Whilst racing we broke a joining link on the drive chain, and were able to limp home on stoker power only by replacing the drive chain with the sync chain. (I have different commuting and race stokers)

Cheers,

Cameron

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon May 06, 2013 7:42 am

Really depends on the size of the chainrings you use on the timing drive twixt captain and stoker and the length of your gaspipe. We use the same size as the middle ring on the drive side (38t) with a longish gaspipe and always need 2 and a bit chains when doing a full swap. I just keep the excess and use it next time. Since we only have 7 speeds at the back I just use the same chain all round.
As an aside we have a Haden eccentric so nearly always need a half link when setting up the tension on a new timing chain, no idea if you can get these in 9/10 speed widths.
Cheers
Richard

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon May 06, 2013 7:31 pm

WyvernRH wrote:Really depends on the size of the chainrings you use on the timing drive twixt captain and stoker and the length of your gaspipe. We use the same size as the middle ring on the drive side (38t) with a longish gaspipe and always need 2 and a bit chains when doing a full swap. I just keep the excess and use it next time. Since we only have 7 speeds at the back I just use the same chain all round.
As an aside we have a Haden eccentric so nearly always need a half link when setting up the tension on a new timing chain, no idea if you can get these in 9/10 speed widths.
Cheers
Richard
They do come in 3/32" and that would probably do. I am struggling to think of a practical difficulty from using a fat half link in a skinny chain. There is no front derailler to get tangled in, the chainline is straight so there are no twisting issues. The biggest issue might be to join the outer link of the skinny chain to the fat half link, but that could be overcome by using a link and a half I guess.

Cheers,

Cameron

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed May 08, 2013 6:47 am

I might julst use a couple of those kmc z10's then? Cheap, easy, and effective. :)

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed May 08, 2013 9:27 am

Comedian wrote:The chain on the tandem needs replacing. Thing is... normal chains that you buy are nowhere near long enough. Does anyone know if you can buy long chains, or should I just buy two normal ones and join them? It's just the chain from the front to the back, so has no changing to worry about. :) Any ideas?
I'd be happy to sell you a special limited-edition tandem-specific double-length chain, for a very special price of only _three_ times the price of a normal single-bike chain! :lol:

tim

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:12 am

I've always used a joiner with two chains.

Bike shops CAN buy chain in bulk on a roll, I've seen it for sale at the bike shows. I've also heard that Nashbar might sell tandem length timing chains?

That being said, I use the SRAM PowerLock connectors and I've never had one fail on me so I'm pretty happy joining them.

I did consider using a heavier chain for the timing chain but decided to keep it the same as the drive chain as it means I only need one type of quick link and a spare bit of chain for any repair.

I was probably looking for something stronger as I'd had a couple of chain failures and some rapid wear/stretch which is a PITA to be regularly adjusting for.

Since changing to the Ultegra 6700 chain I've had zero issues with excessive wear and am yet to break one.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri May 10, 2013 8:15 am

Yes, we were lucky enough in Newcastle to have a Reynolds chain depot which sold all types of chain in bulk, including various grades of bicycle chain AND inch pitch bicycle chain! (I think it was actually a drive chain for a lathe really...) However as with all good things, it closed down.... Due to the decline of industry and real work in Newcastle and 'centralization' I was told by the manager at the time.
Richard

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat May 11, 2013 1:35 am

My Moulton APB (not a tandam) has quite long chain/seat stays.
I discovered this when I went to change the chain for the first time and found it wasnt long enough.
I decided I must be doing something wrong and took it to the bike shop only for them to tell me, "no you have it right," "You need to buy another chain and add some links".
If memory serves it take 125 links while a standard chain (I think) is around 114.
I hung onto the left over piece of chain and when I wore the replacement out, smugly went back to the shop to order only one, this time, of the same chain I bought last time.
Sorry, no longer available.
Guess who had to buy two chains yet again. My chain is now once again ready for replacement and lucky for me,
chains the same are still available. For the first time, I'll be able to buy just one.
Now I wonder where I put that piece of new chain.........
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue May 14, 2013 11:18 am

rifraf wrote:My Moulton APB (not a tandam) has quite long chain/seat stays.
I discovered this when I went to change the chain for the first time and found it wasnt long enough.
I decided I must be doing something wrong and took it to the bike shop only for them to tell me, "no you have it right," "You need to buy another chain and add some links".
If memory serves it take 125 links while a standard chain (I think) is around 114.
I hung onto the left over piece of chain and when I wore the replacement out, smugly went back to the shop to order only one, this time, of the same chain I bought last time.
Sorry, no longer available.
Guess who had to buy two chains yet again. My chain is now once again ready for replacement and lucky for me,
chains the same are still available. For the first time, I'll be able to buy just one.
Now I wonder where I put that piece of new chain.........
You just need to link up with someone with a spare chain like your old one... Lol

:mrgreen: