What sort of bike computer?

thecaptn

What sort of bike computer?

Postby thecaptn » Sat May 04, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi All,

I want to know how far I'm riding to keep a more acurate account of my training and am thinking about purchasing a computer of some sort. I've never had one before and would like something uncomplicated and easy to use, I only want to know how far I ride but realise that all of the divices on the market will be multi-functional.

Can anyone please provide me with some opinions on what may be available? Price is not as important a consideration as usability and quality.

Thanks Pete

thecaptn

Re: What sort of bike computer?

Postby thecaptn » Sat May 04, 2013 6:02 pm

I notice that PBK have a Garmin 500 for $187 is that good?

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Yep, that is where I bought mine. There are a couple of options - 500 bare, 500 with HRM & Cadence.

IMO HRM & Cadence are the way to go.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

jemima

Postby jemima » Sat May 04, 2013 6:12 pm

I recently purchased a Cateye Strada wireless from Wiggle.
If distance is the main thing your looking for, I think this is a very good unit.
Around $60 by memory.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat May 04, 2013 6:50 pm

jemima wrote:I recently purchased a Cateye Strada wireless from Wiggle.
If distance is the main thing your looking for, I think this is a very good unit.
Around $60 by memory.
How is that. I have a Strada wired and it has been unreliable, dropping out and the like. I am pretty certain it is the connection between the computer and the mount on the handlebar with its very small electrical connection which is at fault. As such, I figure the wireless would be fine as there is no electrical connection there (it is worse in the wet and does get going again when I wiggle it around). It is a great computer apart from the reliability, odo goes beyond 10,000, tells me whether I'm going faster or slower than my current average, easy to read etc. If the wireless is reliable I'll get one.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Sat May 04, 2013 6:58 pm

DavidS wrote:
jemima wrote:I recently purchased a Cateye Strada wireless from Wiggle.
Around $60 by memory.
How is that. I have a Strada wired and it has been unreliable, dropping out and the like. I am pretty certain it is the connection between the computer and the mount on the handlebar with its very small electrical connection which is at fault. As such, I figure the wireless would be fine as there is no electrical connection there (it is worse in the wet and does get going again when I wiggle it around). It is a great computer apart from the reliability, odo goes beyond 10,000, tells me whether I'm going faster or slower than my current average, easy to read etc. If the wireless is reliable I'll get one.

DS
I have Strada Wireless on all my bikes, they seems to work fine for me. The only thing I noticed is when you come across a bicycle with the same strada wireless, they seem to interfere with each other. But this only happens like once in a while, if I am cruising along Sydney Harbour Bridge. They are cheap nowadays as most dedicated cyclist buys computer with GPS.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sat May 04, 2013 7:21 pm

PBK have a Cateye Strada Wireless for $32. They've also got a Garmin Edge 200 for $125, what are these like?

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:52 pm

From friends of mine who have the Garmin 200 - Stay away!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat May 04, 2013 9:05 pm

The Garmin 200 isn't that bad but not being able to sync to a HRM/Cad is annoying. The GPS signal sync is however very annoying at the time it takes. Sometimes within 10 seconds and othertimes a couple minutes compared to the Garmin 800 where its instant. But with the 510/810 coming out I'd say chip out the few extra bucks for a 500 as it should now be in a similar price range as the 200 to clear stock.

jemima

Postby jemima » Sun May 05, 2013 8:55 am

DavidS wrote:
jemima wrote:... If the wireless is reliable I'll get one.
DS
When I first set it up, I wasn't aware that it wasn't clipped fully in the mount.
It came off my bike when flying downhill, and the head unit when bouncing along the road. Oh no!

Worked fine when connected again properly...silly me... and 2 weeks later still going great.

gpz1100

Postby gpz1100 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:27 am

i purchased a wired echowell u9 5 months ago,easy to set up and hasnt missed a beat.cost $40 but i have seen it online for $25 or maybe less.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun May 05, 2013 11:10 am

If all you want is to keep a track of your speed and distance then this from Sigma is perfect. I've got one on my commuter and one on my roadie.

http://www.this link is broken/sigma-sport-bc1 ... -computer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Easy to fit, easy to use and you're not bombarded with information that you don't want.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Jimbobtwoshoes

Postby Jimbobtwoshoes » Sun May 05, 2013 11:36 am

Just for the sake of posting if all you want to do is track distance and you have a smart phone there tons if free and paid apps out there, I bought one awhile ago called walkmeter for tracking my walking and it has options for cycling, running and training program's in the menu. They have a few apps out there that are the same just with different names runmeter, walkmeter, cyclemeter and they all do the sane thing.