Carrying electric bikes on trains

ColinOldnCranky

Carrying electric bikes on trains

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed May 30, 2012 8:46 pm

Has anyone experienced any difficulty carrying e-bikes onto trains recently?

I ask because I was talking today to some Transperth staff who mentioned that an email had been broadcast a couple of months ago telling/reminding them that electic bikes are not allowed to be taken in trains and buses. Apparently the belief is that the batteries are a hazard.

There has been a restriction on foldup electric scooters for a year of so though I have not heard of anyone actually applying the policy. I have just checked their web site and so nothing new. I am guessing that they are using the electric scooter reg and clarifying that this includes electric bikes as well.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

il padrone

Re: Carrying electric bikes on trains

Postby il padrone » Wed May 30, 2012 9:38 pm

Not WA, but V-line have a prohibition on motorbikes being carried on country trains (I'd guess the same applies on metro trains). But legally they are not motorbikes, rather classed as bicycles under the road rules.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

OldNick

Postby OldNick » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 am

Maybe we need to carry a copy of http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/UsingTr ... vices.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and specifically
"Power-assisted bicycles

Power-assisted bicycles are permitted on trains subject to the same time restrictions as standard bicycles so long as they are primarily “pedal powered” with a small contained electric auxiliary motor and that the bicycle should be similar in size, weight and appearance as a standard bicycle."

They may try to get you with the "assisted" part, but that's a tough prove.

Nick

russellgarrard

Postby russellgarrard » Thu May 02, 2013 4:42 pm

Not allowed on queensland rail trains and translink inspectors refuse to follow definition of 'electric bicycle' under TORUM...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun May 05, 2013 12:51 am

russellgarrard wrote:Not allowed on queensland rail trains and translink inspectors refuse to follow definition of 'electric bicycle' under TORUM...
Queensland has a long history of going it'sown way. Approval for Segways onto paths and malls being the last in a long line of these things.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sun May 05, 2013 5:53 am

russellgarrard wrote:Not allowed on queensland rail trains and translink inspectors refuse to follow definition of 'electric bicycle' under TORUM...
Would you have a reference please to where this is stated as a quick Google search has revealed nothing.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

russellgarrard

Postby russellgarrard » Sun May 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Just various QR staff telling me that I wasn't allowed to board trains with my electric bicycles. I've gotten rid of them now, even though it takes me quite a long time to get fit enough to ride a bike a reasonable distance due to my disabilities.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun May 05, 2013 12:17 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Queensland has a long history of going it'sown way. Approval for Segways onto paths and malls being the last in a long line of these things.
But beaten to the punch by WA vis the Segway on paths.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sun May 05, 2013 6:54 pm

russellgarrard wrote:Just various QR staff telling me that I wasn't allowed to board trains with my electric bicycles. I've gotten rid of them now, even though it takes me quite a long time to get fit enough to ride a bike a reasonable distance due to my disabilities.
Interesting as I have never had this problem. Were you travelling during the peak times? If you were the issue would have been that it was a bicycle and not that it was electric. I carry the battery on a daily basis and have had the entire bike on a train numerous times without any issues.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun May 05, 2013 7:06 pm

RonK wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Queensland has a long history of going it'sown way. Approval for Segways onto paths and malls being the last in a long line of these things.
But beaten to the punch by WA vis the Segway on paths.
Not even close to the same thing. The only thing in common is the hardware.

The WA thing is a local council asking for exemptions for a specific purpose. It is for a specific precinct for which they will have to have in place a process that will need to be met (ten minutes proactice somewhere under supervision for example, no more than such and such a number at one time, no less than such and such a number of staff supervising, no ability to wander off alone, etc) and probably very tight governing limits etc. The Qld thing is to simply put them on bike paths with the same requirements as for bikes in free-for all.

As a ped or a cyclist I have no problem, albeit at this early stage of unknowns, with the Freo proposal. It is not even a surprise. It is shaping up to what has been done before in many places that still do not allow them to be an alternative to a bike or walking.

The Qld move on the other hand is a surprise and I would hope that cyclists and peds keep a close eye on how it pans out. Or am I missing something?