Triathlon bicycle advice

robbiepapenfus

Triathlon bicycle advice

Postby robbiepapenfus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there are any guys on the forum who participate in triathlons?

I am looking at giving the sport a go and just needed some advice on a bicycle.

Cheers,
Robbie

Scarfy96

Re: Triathlon bicycle advice

Postby Scarfy96 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:29 am

Sure, what do you want to know?

What length triathlon?
How serious are you about it?
Are you looking at travelling, if so what type of courses?

Some triathlons are long flat straight, turn, long flat straight, turn, long flat straight ...

Others are technical climbing, descending, tight corners etc

Others are a mix.

Options are:
- just get out have a go and have fun (do it on anything, mountain bike, hybrid, roadie, TT etc)
- Road bike - well suited to technical courses
- TT - well suited to long flat sections or minimal climbing.

Then there are clip on bars, wheels, etc etc.

So what info are you after?

wardie

Postby wardie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:29 am

I can recommend this forum for excellent advice and knowledge:

http://forums.transitions.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Giant XTC 2

robbiepapenfus

Postby robbiepapenfus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Scarfy96:
I was just looking for recommendations for a good entry level bicycle, one which i could use now while i start getting into the sport as well if i become more serious. I currently have a commuter bicycle, which is a trek 7.3 series (hybrid). I plan to start training for Olympic length triathlons. There is a series in South Australia at the end of the year which i would like to do, so i just need to get into some form of training.

Wardie: thanks mate, ill have a look.

wardie

Postby wardie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Any road bike will be fine. Which one to buy is an endless topic. When you get more comfortable with cycling you can add som aero bars to your road bike so you can ride in a TT position.

Most of the ITU races (pro races over olympic distances) the athletes ride road bikes with clip on bars.
Giant XTC 2

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:39 pm

robbiepapenfus:

OK well based on that summary I agree with wardie. You are looking for a mid entry level road bike, get comfortable on that first and when comfortable and confident then look at clip on bars.

When buying explain this to LBS as the geometry of a road bike and TT bike are quite different and if you buy with that in mind it can change the bike best suited to you a little.

Clip on bars are worth ABOUT 1-2km/hr on the flat so worth moving to but get used to the bike for a while first as these will bring a range of new instabilities to the bike if your handling isn't strong and confident so get used to the new bike first.

Many OD triathlons are over mixed courses - can have some climbs in them - so a road bike is often a good choice anyway.

As for which bike, wow options are endless as are opinions. I would recommend going to a few shops and talking to the guys explaining your needs and see what they can offer. Personally I wouldn't look at anything with less than 105 gearing because you will outgrow it too quickly. Absolute entry level (with Sora or less) will result in frustration down the track, save your pennies and buy something a bit better. You can get a range of nice 105 bikes for under $2k.

Get out there, have fun, drool at the bikes with rear wheels worth more than your bike and start planning upgrades ;)

robbiepapenfus

Postby robbiepapenfus » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:55 am

Thanks guys..

I was thinking something along the lines of a Boardman Team (Wiggle).

Any thoughts on that?

wardie

Postby wardie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:05 am

I wouldn't buy your first bike from overseas. Personally, if you're not too savvy mechanically and getting your fit right, then having the supportof a LBS is worth the extra money.
Giant XTC 2

robbiepapenfus

Postby robbiepapenfus » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:52 am

Would it just be a matter of getting the correct size, and putting the bicycle together?

If you really did have issues (mechanically), i'm sure your LBS would help out for a fee?

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:01 pm

I'd +1 wardie here as well.

Even 1cm adjustment can make a significant difference to a bike fit. For your first one I would value a decent fit that the shop should be able to do and the support they will gladly offer as you bought it off them. If you get more comfortable with it all in the future then your next bike you can go that way (you know you will want to upgrade regardless of what you buy don't you? )

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon May 06, 2013 1:50 pm

Tri Bike? Go to a shop. The geometry is completely different to a "normal" bike, I just don't see this ending well, because you CANNOT sell them if you get it wrong.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Mon May 06, 2013 2:09 pm

+1 for buying locally with expert fit. A professional fit can cost any where from $100 - $500+ depending on what you want to achieve & who is doing it, so don't underestimate it's value. In saying that, many shops will include a "fit" with bike purchase that is little more than adjusting seat height.
What you are looking for is someone who will take all your measurements, set you up on some kind of trainer/fit jig and look at your pedaling style andante comments & changes to better suit you. Then have you come back and do it all again in 6-12 weeks Andalusia changes as necessary.
Maybe you need to start a thread along the lines of "recommend me a LBS is Adelaide who does excellent tri-bike fits". At the end of the day, if you are more comfortable on the bike you will enjoy it more and ride more.
Good luck

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:07 pm

There were a few 2nd hand Tri bikes for sale in Port Macquarie today - after yesterday's Australian IronMan event. I spoke with a few competitors at the finish line who have vowed NEVER to do another IronMan. :D
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon May 06, 2013 3:17 pm

LMAO Yes that should be on the list... hang around the finish line. Mal from Kangazilla had been training strongly for months, and it still nearly ruined him... I could use a TT bike as well ;)