Super Record brake lever hoods

freshpatents

Super Record brake lever hoods

Postby freshpatents » Sun May 05, 2013 10:46 am

Hi,
Does anyone know of a source for Campagnolo Super Record brake lever hoods, the brown gum ones, that
a) don't cost a fortune like the ones for sale on Ebay,
b) are not reproductions like Robbie Fellows makes and at $60US plus postage are about the same price as Ebay ones, or
c) I can buy somewhere here in Oz?

I know I don't want much :D but have a problem spending a third of the cost of the frame price on the rubber brake hoods. Must be getting old...
thanks

RonK

Re: Super Record brake lever hoods

Postby RonK » Sun May 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Well good luck - if you do discover where to get original brown SR hoods cheap we'll all be interested to know.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

munga

Postby munga » Sun May 05, 2013 1:15 pm

RonK wrote:Well good luck - if you do discover where to get original brown SR hoods cheap we'll all be interested to know.
+1

morini

Postby morini » Sun May 05, 2013 2:21 pm

I'm getting old too and it really nicks me off the price for stuff like this. Has anyone ever considered getting some made? Surely someone like Ormiston rubber could do a run for a group of us. I'll look into it. How many would be interested?

Chris

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun May 05, 2013 2:56 pm

Not much point moaning - if you want rare original parts then you'd better be prepared to pay for them.

Reproductions are available if you want to settle for them.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

freshpatents

Postby freshpatents » Sun May 05, 2013 3:00 pm

Well if we are going to buy reproductions, they might as well be Aussie reproductions so count me in for a few set of hoods if you are making inquiries locally to have some made.... thanks

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:08 pm

If they would double on bog-standard Dia-Compes, count me in. Getting tired of baby talc-ing mine.

So you'd change the type by one character, like the Breville coffee machine knock-offs. (Beville). Just kidding... (Not familiar with Campy hoods; maybe there's no identifiers :| )
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun May 05, 2013 6:39 pm

if you knew the work involved then what RF is charging is not outrageous.
if you had a set as a sacrificial set it could work. Only way to get cost/time down is to have multiple moulds for a number per batch, but they cost $'s and have a fairly short life.

now if you want the honking rubbers I can do a deal on those.

Those that have bought the honking rubbers from me have paid a fraction of what mine have cost me. When I get back from our next trip I might advertise some on e bay, but the postage overseas will cost around the same as my sell price, then I lose the commission from e bay, the paypay commission, the packaging cost, the trip to the post office, the generating of invoices, the drive to the manufacturer to collect new supplies, the buying from the manufacturer the product... So no retirement plan based on these sales. In my case it will be a service to GB Hiduminium brake lever owners, but most will complain about the sell price and the postage charge and think that they are being ripped off and someone else should make them and then sell them for a cheaper price. [edit: and provision for new mould after the short production life]
I'd pay the RF price. Way way cheaper.
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Sun May 05, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freshpatents

Postby freshpatents » Sun May 05, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your post and thoughts on the whole process.
I'm interested in those honking rubbers too. Will they go on the levers that go with my GB Courier 66 brakes do you happen to know? Also I have a few '50's Universal levers with no hoods that are crying out for something to be fitted, so they might work for them too do you think?
thanks

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun May 05, 2013 7:10 pm

freshpatents wrote:Hi,
Thanks for your post and thoughts on the whole process.
I'm interested in those honking rubbers too. Will they go on the levers that go with my GB Courier 66 brakes do you happen to know? Also I have a few '50's Universal levers with no hoods that are crying out for something to be fitted, so they might work for them too do you think?
thanks
can you measure around where the rubbers need to go. I can then make up a mockup and then see if they stretch to fit.
but we leave on Thurs for China, Tibet and Nepal and no cycling

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Mon May 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:if you knew the work involved then what RF is charging is not outrageous.
if you had a set as a sacrificial set it could work. Only way to get cost/time down is to have multiple moulds for a number per batch, but they cost $'s and have a fairly short life.

now if you want the honking rubbers I can do a deal on those.

Those that have bought the honking rubbers from me have paid a fraction of what mine have cost me. When I get back from our next trip I might advertise some on e bay, but the postage overseas will cost around the same as my sell price, then I lose the commission from e bay, the paypay commission, the packaging cost, the trip to the post office, the generating of invoices, the drive to the manufacturer to collect new supplies, the buying from the manufacturer the product... So no retirement plan based on these sales. In my case it will be a service to GB Hiduminium brake lever owners, but most will complain about the sell price and the postage charge and think that they are being ripped off and someone else should make them and then sell them for a cheaper price. [edit: and provision for new mould after the short production life]
I'd pay the RF price. Way way cheaper.
I like this paragraph. Anyone who spends time and effort trying to help other enthusiasts incurrs unseen costs, mainly in time, but the enthusiasts (of which I am one) want everything for nothing. I have bought the repro hoods from Robbie Fellows. They are good, and considering the value of Campag equipped bikes they are going on, they are not expensive. As in, approx $50.00 a pair on a bike usually worth between $2000 and $4000. I cant remember what we used to pay for hoods when they were current production, but I dont think they were ever cheap.
As far as going to the post office and standing in the queue, for sellers, that is like lighting $20.00 notes and watching them burn. Warren

spirito

Postby spirito » Mon May 06, 2013 3:27 pm

I resent that I can't afford a late 60's Porsche 911 (now selling for 30 times what it cost new), or a Leica M4P, or an original Rembrandt. I'm also pissed off that cocaine is no longer free or legal ..... that kids today rock t-shirts of bands that heave been dead for years .... and on and on and on and on and on ..... Sound old doesn't it? :shock:

Some of this stuff hasn't been made for decades. They were disposable and the nature of the product and materials also meant they weren't made to last.
It costs what it costs because there is a demand and limited supply. If you resent paying the big $'s for originals, or a reasonable sum for someone's time, efforts and materials for reproductions then I'd suggest you either get over it or ride without brake hoods.

Btw, I have both Campy original and repro's for sale :wink:
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

morini

Postby morini » Mon May 06, 2013 3:40 pm

I wish I'd bought a 911S 15-20 years ago when they were cheaper than a new Holden or Ford 4 cylinder run about. We thought about it but then we had kids instead so now I can only afford to collect bicycles, Nikons and posters. Now don't start crying spirito. I did manage to keep a Ducati bevel.

Freshpatents, here's some for a reasonable price.

http://cyclesdeoro.com/For-sale/Vintage_stuff.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spirito

Postby spirito » Mon May 06, 2013 4:42 pm

RonK wrote:
Reproductions are available if you want to settle for them.

I'd prefer them by mile ... the repro hoods are better than the originals. Much more pliable, won't rip or tear when you're installing them (like the originals were prone to do) and they'll last a lot longer. I've seen many try to pick them apart and fail. There is no downside.

I'd suggest others to contact Robbie Fellows and get 3 pairs sent to you for just over $100 posted (he charges the same for postage if you're in the US or overseas). Sell 2 pairs for a little over $50 each (and plenty people will pay that if not more) and keep the 3rd pair for yourself ... free !! Works for me.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:14 am

Not sure how relevant here, but I just bought some hoods from here.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.