Dizzy and faint on easy ride

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
TraceyG

Dizzy and faint on easy ride

Postby TraceyG » Sun May 05, 2013 5:42 pm

I had a very disconcerting experience while on my normal Sunday ride this morning. We had ridden a very easy 40km, including a coffee stop, when I started to feel dizzy and faint. I stopped and sat on the kerb for a while, and had an energy gel, although I don't believe that I had bonked.

I started the day with my usual breakfast of bircher muesli and Greek yoghurt, and during our stop I had a banana and coffee - pretty much my standard Sunday morning ride fare.

After resting for a while I decided to walk the last kilometre home with my husband keeping a very close and worried eye on me. It wasn't easy in cleats but I didn't want to get back on my bike and risk a faint!

I've spent the rest of the day taking it every easy and even fell asleep on the couch this afternoon - something else that I never do.

I don't feel as though I am sickening for anything, although tomorrow may tell a different story.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

GeoffInBrisbane

Re: Dizzy and faint on easy ride

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun May 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Hydration levels? If I don't have enough water before I go out in the morning I can struggle a bit...got flickery vision on one occasion. :shock: :?

Not sure on other causes. Do you feel better now? Something to monitor I reckon.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun May 05, 2013 6:18 pm

Have you checked your blood pressure?

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun May 05, 2013 6:49 pm

have you checked the blue stick, I remember cycling and I didn't know I was pregnant. Boy it took it out of me.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 05, 2013 7:18 pm

^^ I to was wondering this but didn't want to say anything for fear of offending.^^ :oops:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun May 05, 2013 7:51 pm

Regardless of what conjecture we indulge in here, the essential course of action is to have a bit of a checkup with your GP.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

linds

Postby linds » Sun May 05, 2013 8:59 pm

virus coming on....?

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Sun May 05, 2013 9:59 pm

Apple wrote:have you checked the blue stick, I remember cycling and I didn't know I was pregnant. Boy it took it out of me.
Definitely not pregnant!
And unlikely to be hydration as I had drunk about a litre by the time it happened.
Feeling better now but somewhat washed out. I have an appointment to see my dr this week anyway so will discuss.

hooman

Postby hooman » Mon May 06, 2013 12:06 am

A visit to a GOOD doctor. One that isn't going to write it off as "... just a virus..."
'09 Giant TCR C2 Shimano 105
'10 Cervelo RS Shimano Ultegra
'11 Time NXR Instinct SRAM RED Black
'12 Pinarello Dogma 2 Shimano DuraAce DI2

matagi

Postby matagi » Mon May 06, 2013 6:45 pm

hooman wrote:A visit to a GOOD doctor. One that isn't going to write it off as "... just a virus..."
But that's precisely what it could be. Unfortunately most people don't appreciate how debilitating a simple viral infection can sometimes be.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon May 06, 2013 7:03 pm

matagi wrote:
hooman wrote:A visit to a GOOD doctor. One that isn't going to write it off as "... just a virus..."
But that's precisely what it could be. Unfortunately most people don't appreciate how debilitating a simple viral infection can sometimes be.
I agree with that - I had a mild cold (virus) last week and did a biggish mountain ride on Friday. My heart rate did not return to normal until after a post-dinner snooze on the couch, probably 4-5 hours after completing the ride. Wasn't racing or anything but was 20-25% above normal until I had that rest. Usually I recover very quickly after any ride.

It's pretty easy to drain the tank inadvertently with a low-level viral infection on the go.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Mon May 06, 2013 10:18 pm

Seems as though I have a cold coming on so will have to look after myself for a few days.

But...on a brighter note.....call from my son this afternoon to tell me that their blue stick was positive! Grandchild number one due for Christmas. Yippee!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 06, 2013 10:42 pm

TraceyG wrote:Seems as though I have a cold coming on so will have to look after myself for a few days.
:( Keep warm, eat lemons and drink rum :wink:
TraceyG wrote:But...on a brighter note.....call from my son this afternoon to tell me that their blue stick was positive! Grandchild number one due for Christmas. Yippee!
8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue May 07, 2013 6:58 am

TraceyG wrote: But...on a brighter note.....call from my son this afternoon to tell me that their blue stick was positive! Grandchild number one due for Christmas. Yippee!
Well the stick was blue somewhere :lol: :lol: congratulations.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue May 07, 2013 7:44 am

Apple wrote:
TraceyG wrote: But...on a brighter note.....call from my son this afternoon to tell me that their blue stick was positive! Grandchild number one due for Christmas. Yippee!
Well the stick was blue somewhere :lol: :lol: congratulations.
We will need o get the channelling right next time Apple. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon May 13, 2013 12:42 pm

Sounds like you bonked Tracey.

You don't indicate the previous days fat or carb intake. Eating over 10% of calories from fat can hinder glycogen replenishment. If you had a busy day on Friday/Sat and didnt consume enough carbs, ate too much fat, didnt drink enough water (glycogen needs water to be stored effectively) and or didnt get to bed by 9pm (hours after 9pm hinder glycogen replenishment) then its quite easy to become glucose exhausted aka bonking on a 'normal sunday ride'.

My ability to ride 620km in 24hours has taught me how to become bonk proof. Sleep, fat intake, carb intake and hydration all play massive roles in glycogen replenishment.
Vegan since 2001.

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Mon May 13, 2013 7:20 pm

matagi wrote:
Or it could be a vaso-vagal reaction, or indicative of a chemical imbalance (not an issue of itself necessarily, but might indicate something else), or a heart issue (e.g. long qt) or some other thing.

If it happens a second time, don't take no for an answer. And if it progresses beyond a faint feeling, make sure whoever is around pays really close attention to what happens. Some of these things depend on the clinical diagnosis as much as they do on any medical tests. I have good reason to know of this.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:25 pm

are you diabetic?
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Mon May 20, 2013 1:21 pm

I am not diabetic (regularly tested due to previously being morbidly obese, now just slightly overweight).

Unfortunately I have had a second episode, this time while driving so I am now going down the medical investigation path. I am hoping it is just low blood pressure and easily resolved by discontinuing my last BP tablet, but will work through with drs to get an answer.

In the meantime, DH is not that keen on me riding alone...and I don't blame him. Just means that he has to come out riding more often!

lgbran

Postby lgbran » Thu May 30, 2013 3:59 pm

After fainting and dizzy episodes x 4 over a period of as many months with the last episode resulting in me hitting the floor and coming too, I ceased taking my blood pressure tablets ( the fainting dizzy spells only occurred after commencing meds. Felt o.k on the bike but the last episode became scary). A change in blood pressure medication did the trick resulting in lower blood pressure without keeling over

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi Tracey, not good at all,

What time of the day do you usually ride, or what time was it when you were driving? Do you eat Breakfast?

I'd go get some bloods done, there a certain things (environment, diet etc) that can can alter tolerance to how your body deals with glucose, perhaps you are stressed at the moment and your blood sugars are higher than normal, (there are studies shown that when cortisol is higher, resting blood sugards will run higher) resulting a in a larger spike when you crash.

The more you work out though and the harder you push that should subside, try riding early morning see what happens?

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:19 pm

And the good news is....as a result of my weight loss over the last two years, my blood pressure has dropped and I was, effectively, over-medicated. Dr has adjusted dose of my BP medication and all has been good for a few days. I am seeing Dr regularly and hope to ditch that last half a tab very soon.

I'm very relieved that it was nothing more serious.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:41 pm

Like!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:40 pm

TraceyG wrote:And the good news is....as a result of my weight loss over the last two years, my blood pressure has dropped and I was, effectively, over-medicated. Dr has adjusted dose of my BP medication and all has been good for a few days. I am seeing Dr regularly and hope to ditch that last half a tab very soon.

I'm very relieved that it was nothing more serious.
Happy dance. 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km